Some questions about servers and regions

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by ScAll, Feb 10, 2020.

1. ScAll New Member

Hello!
    1. Which region is best for playing by the number of players?
    2. What type of server is best way for new player(traditional, progressive, event)? I played once and not so much on Russian server. So i don't know too much about the game
    Cyrrena likes this.
  2. Siren Well-Known Member

US servers are the most populated, but there is one EU server called Thurgadin where your old characters probably are now. You'd be starting over if you move to US servers, and I'm not sure how your ping will be.

Kaladim, the US Time Locked Progression server, is one of the most populated, but it does require a gold sub. It's probably the best for new players because it's the simplest, most straightforward version of EQ2 that's as close to what EQ2 was back when it launched, without all the pay to win, super-grindy end game.

Maj'Dul is the most populated out of the Free to Play regular servers, with Halls of Fate the second most populated F2P.

There is no event server up right now. You only usually see that once a year or so, and just for 3 months at a time; then it's shut down again.

Good luck, and hopefully someone from Thurgadin can tell you how that server is doing these days.
    Beee, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  3. ScAll New Member

I played a little on US server ping was playable. What about PVP servers?

On progression server game content not the same as on regular server?
    Cyrrena likes this.
  4. Siren Well-Known Member

There is no PvP server up at this time. There is talk from a developer that a TL Prog PvP Server (like Kaladim, but with PvP) is going up later this year, but we haven't heard an exact ETA yet.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  5. ScAll New Member

Then i should not warrie about ping on PVE servers :)
    Cyrrena likes this.
  6. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Kaladim requires the all-access subscription to play on and is Time Locked which means expansions are unlocked at a certain rate. Darkpaw Games determined when the server was announced that expansions would be unlocked every 16 weeks and mid-expansion cycle content would be unlocked every 8 weeks, approximately. We just received Fallen Dynasty and are scheduled to received Echoes of Faydwar on 20 February. Our level cap is currently 70 and will not rise to 80 until Kunark releases in June.

There are many helpful, friendly, casual guilds that are willing to accept new and returning players.

You are also able to play on all the live servers which are MajDul, Halls of Fate, Skyfire, and AB which is the Roleplay server. If you choose AB, make sure to join Homeshow and RPLFG as this is where you will find the most people, a lot of the folks there turn off general chat, I personally do not. There are quite a few helpful, friendly, casual guilds on AB which will take new and returning members. Rewind is a time-locked progression guild, Eixx is the leader, you can talk to any member I believe. And a good regular guild that is extremely helpful would be Lava Forged, the leader is Kitaene, you can speak to any member there as well. They are an outstanding group of people.

With the subscription to all-access, you can also choose to play on IoR and Rivervale which are both free trade servers. These servers allow items which are typically no-trade on normal live servers to be freely traded. IoR has a very low but friendly population. Rivervale just launched in November and it was a very slow start but I have seen the population increasing lately. You would need to log in to the servers at the times you would be normally playing and see which of these servers might fit your playstyle and needs. There is also Thurgadin as noted above which is the EU server, I do not know the population demographics of that server, but perhaps someone that plays there will come in and say a few words about that server.

Welcome back, good luck and good journeys.
    ScAll and Breanna like this.
  7. Scrooloose New Member

Hello thanks for your explanation. I am also a returning player and have a question about the progression server.

When World of Warcraft made Classic, they built the game up in modern architecture exactly (almost) how the game was then.

When the MMORPG Rift did a progression server, they just took the current client with all the current classes/talent trees and stuck a level cap on it , disappointing most of the player base (who really wanted the original game back at launch) and the devs where accused of creating a cash grab server.

So my question is this. Is Kaladim a Rift progression server or a WoW one?
    Have they rebuilt the game or just stuck a level cap in the current client?

An example is how back in the first days of EQ2 (as far as a remember), i originally played before the isle of refuge and in the game we all had our own starer areas. Is this in the progression server? (or was it ever?)

EDIT: Also, why was the boat tutorial along with the isles of refuge removed and then put back in the game? (as when i created a character on AB today, i was on the boat :p )

8. Finora Well-Known Member

Kind of between the two. There is different tuning of difficulty on the progression server and a lot of things that are available on the regular servers are not available. It is not like the old old days though. You don't start as a commoner on the isle & progress through the archetype classes to your subclass. The old burbs kind of got returned on the TLE though. A lot of gear has gotten reworked on both TLE and regular servers as they went through and retuned things for TLE. Not subcombines for crafting.

Some of it we were told was because of shared assets between the TLE & regular servers prevented some stuff and others had been long removed & the files are thought to no longer exist. And our dev team is far too small to do it from the ground up.

As for why the isles were removed & put back in.
    A former executive producer of the game decided the whole experience needed streamlining and had a LOT of stuff revamped & removed from the game. That included the burbs & the newbie islands. More recently devs (Gninja) dug up the files and reworked stuff to resurrect the isles & parts of the burbs for the TLE. The isles have come back to the regular servers, the burbs might in the future but have not yet.
    Tanadriel and Siren like this.
  9. mothelm Active Member

There are quite a few helpful, friendly, casual guilds on AB which will take new and returning members. Rewind is a time-locked progression guild, Eixx is the leader, you can talk to any member I believe

thanks for Shout out Cyrrena :)
    Siren likes this.
  10. Scrooloose New Member

This is great to know, the isle of refuge will help with my nostalgia trip! :)

Can anyone tell me what progress the server has made? What expansion is it unto? When is the next one due to be released?
    Is there a timeline somewhere that we can look it?

Thanks in advance :)
  11. Carynn Well-Known Member

Kaladim, the TLE/Progression server, is currently mid-content on TSO (The Shadow Odyssey). It will likely go up to DoV, two more expansions, before a new one is released.