Solusek Ro's Tower: The Obsidian Core [Solo]

Discussion in 'Zone Discussion' started by Chrol, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Balrezu (fresh zone, no persistent instances)

Having troubles with this fight. I can't get past second round of fiends. First round, no problem...kill them, click the brazier of the last one that dies to resummon Balrezu. Second round, Balrezu kills me while I'm still fighting the second fiend.

You can see in this screenshot the successful first round:
    09:50 - You have killed a scorched fiend.
    09:51 - You have killed a scorched fiend.
    09:51 - Hurry! Summon Balrezu before he summons your demise!

But below that, you can see I killed one fiend @ 09:53 and am actively working on the second one, but at 09:53 I die and get the message "Too late! Balrezu calls for your death!".
    [IMG]

I've tried different things in case I am misunderstanding the text; I am assuming it means to kill the fiends and click the brazier of the last one who dies. I've tried clicking the only brazier available to be clicked (from the fiend I killed), but that summoned MegaBalrezu and I died; I've tried to click the brazier of the still-living fiend but it's not clickable; I've tried the other braziers as well but the only one clickable was from the one I had killed (which brings forth MegaBalrezu).

Is there something I'm missing?

(Also, my mercenary regularly dies while fighting Balrezu before the second set of fiends. I know they are getting buffed a little later on, but it happens every time so wanted to report it.)
  2. Leed Member

I think it's actually the timer killing the mercenaries. It puts an effect on you that goes away after you follow through the portals, but the effect is staying on the mercenary and killing it I think. (since it isn't producing any text in text box I can't be sure of that of course)
  3. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Suggestion for the Balrezu fight: Fiends could benefit from having their aggro range reduced. More than once, a fiend came across the room from behind a pillar or otherwise out of my view (even with full POV), so it can be difficult to tell which brazier they came from.

General feedback: These scripts are pretty cool, but they seem to be better for groups or raids, as some of the scripting is a bit rougher for a single toon (especially lower DPS). An example is the Molten Behemoth: He drops three molten rocks, but in the time it takes to run back and forth to grab them and put them in the brazier (which can sometimes take a couple of tries to drop the rock in the right place), he'll often end up absorbing one of the rocks.

I'm also hearing similar feedback from friends about the later fights: They are excited about doing them in groups, but as a solo toon, it can be frustrating trying to run around, click things, stay alive, keep Burning Mana cured, and so on. Once I get past Balrezu, I'll get a better idea for myself. Going to try again and see if I have any better luck this time. <grin>
  4. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Yeah, that makes sense. I reset it on myself by summoning Balrezu back into the room in time, but the merc doesn't get the invisible timer/detriment cleared and they are grease stains. <grin>
  5. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Woot, I killed Balrezu! Not sure what I did differently, honestly, as I used same approach: Kill the two fiends that spawn and click the brazier of the last one to die.

On to the next challenge...
  6. Chrol Developer

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check on the timer being applied to mercs. It doesn't need to. The bigger issue is the timer being stuck (possibly) when resummoning Balrezu.
  7. Kardath New Member

Well there is a thaught ,did not think in this way but you might be right. I have stopped for the moment as i had enough punishment.
  8. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Add me to the list of folks who have trouble killing the Shimmering Mirages fast enough (shadowknight, three factions of quested/merchant gear, plus some overland named drops and other rewards). Made it to the last Mirage of the final round, but died when it was still around 34% or so (so close!!!).

I have the hang of the script, so it looks like it's the timer that's my downfall. I'll try a few more times, then I'll probably bring a ranger friend in to burn them so I can keep testing the next mobs. :p

(Merc also dies suddenly during this fight as well, I would guess it's the same background timer issue as with Balrezu.)
  9. Chrol Developer

The timer that's cast after killing the last scorched fiend during the fight with Balrezu is, in fact, the cause of mercs dying. It will no longer apply to mercs.

Also increased the area in which you can drop molten rocks during the encounter with The Molten Behemoth.

And added 20 more seconds to Verlixa's timer. (I am crying inside.)
  10. Chrol Developer

Oh and Verlixa's Path of Flames timer spell was applying to mercs so that's been fixed.
  11. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Some general feedback (not just for this zone, for this expansion in general): DPS fail timers generally seem out of place in Solo instances.

Having a fail timer based on not killing fast enough in a Solo zone makes it tough for many classes. In a group, you have a mix of classes and uses (DPS, heals, utility, etc.) and can mix and match to meet requirements; as a solo player, you can only rely on what your class brings.

Fail timers that are part of the puzzle make sense (like clicking the brazier in time to resummon Balrezu). Dying simply because your solo toon isn't high/fast enough DPS feels counter-productive. If there is a timer hard-baked into the code, perhaps it can be set to something like 10 minutes for solo zones?

(And some specific feedback for this zone: These puzzles are cool, Chrol. They are clever and have an awesome old-school gaming feel to them. Once they are tweaked a bit for solo toons, they'll definitely be some of my favorites.)
  12. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Woot, sweet, and my inquisitor will kiss you for that. :D
  13. Leed Member

Once they buff mercs, and she isn't automatically killing mercs - it might be able to come back down some. (If that cheers you up!)
  14. Mermut Well-Known Member

Unless mercs get a huge dps boost, I'm not sure a live merc does enough dps to matter.. at least the healer merc my coercer uses doesn't..
    No merc my warden has tried manages even a 1/4 of the dps my warden puts out so it's not worth the hassle of 'managing' them and trying to keep them alive.. I spend more time healing the stupid merc then I spend healing myself w/o a merc.
  15. Toxlas Member

They get a guildie to come and help them! Once you have 2 real people in this and the next zone they become do-able. Solo or Molo? I couldn't do them.
  16. Toxlas Member

Just to add my revised opinion on the 2 Sol Ro zones. I hated them, trying to do it solo. The moment I got a guildie on board they were much more fun. I can see them being great fun in Heroic. The solo zones do need a bit of looking at, sounds like most of the feedback is being listened to and acted on, which is great!
    If you thought this zone was tricksy, wait until the next one - you're going to love the fight with the flaming swords! I wish I'd recorded my zerk running around clicking the things, while firing the crossbow and letting Stamper Inq merc DPS the massive demon. Possibly the most frustrating zones I've ever done in EQ2 and I've been playing since the start.
    Try to do them solo, most of them can be done if you work out how but for Verlixia and the Demon with the swords you will need a friend - unless you are uber l33t of course.
  17. Kardath New Member

The Verlixia zone seemed to have been fixed, I noticed. My Merc stayed alive during the full combat and the timer had been increased which made it possible to at least finish this fight. However in the fight with So'Valiz I encountered the exact same problem my Merc dies suddenly (I keep him on non combat , heal only) in the 75-50% stage of the fight and soon after that I die.
    this happens after I finishing the first round of copying the pattern

edit: When doing the fight without the merc and using potions as alternative heal I could reach the finish so seems Merc is part of the problem.
  18. Shmogre Well-Known Member

New day, fresh instance.

Died again to Balrezu coming back while I was fighting a scorched fiend (second round). Am I running into a timer by any chance (not killing them fast enough)?

Reviving and trying again...wish me luck!

UPDATE: Made it the second time - not sure what I did differently, though I think I may have changed which fiend I killed first on the second round.
  19. Shmogre Well-Known Member

More data on the Balrezu fight:

Grouped with a ranger and ran into the same thing: Second round, Balrezu came back before we had killed the second fiend.

Paid attention to the order this time: Standing at the back brazier looking toward the corridor, we killed the closest left (west) fiend first and died before we could kill the farther right (east) one - screenshot to show which ones I mean:
    [IMG]

Revived, repeated in the same order, and it happened again: Balrezu came back before we killed the second (farthest when facing the corridor) fiend.

My ranger friend went gonzo on the fiend and killed it so we were actually able to activate the brazier before Balrezu appeared, which led to this amusing chat entry that shows Balrezu coming back twice in one round:
    [IMG]

(I don't know if it's that specific order that is causing troubles, but wanted to pass on what we did in case it could help.)
  20. Mermut Well-Known Member

Except the zones and sig line are listed as solo. And better gear won't help with the 'issues' that make these zones a problem when run solo (or molo).