solo guide for ranger

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Kagara, Nov 11, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Vaelorn Guest

Once the mob engages you in melee, trigger HO, advance with Cheap Shot (Coin icon), pray for Ringing Blow, activate Stalk while you're moving to the side, hope poison doesn't break your stun, nail them with Shadowblade (Dagger icon) and complete Ringing Blow for a whopper of a damage combo. Add in all the damage you did with your bow while the mob was incoming, and you've got one seriously injured mob before you've even taken a few hits. If you're going to try to use that combo for every solo fight, it might actually be in your best interest *not* to use poison, because that will break Cheap Shot stun frequently.
  2. ARCHIVED-Orchard Guest

Lvl 18 Pred here. I am good, therefore will become a ranger, as the whole betrayal thing bugs me, but all politics aside...
    What do you use for arrows? Is the lewt/exp on these mobs worth using arrows for? I have yet to make an iron arrow, but the best combines I have had making tin ones only got me 7 arrows, and they time it takes to forage parts, then buy what I need for combines, and sit and combine, makes arrows a pricey/time consuming commodity. Do the spells such as Back Shot not use an actual arrow from inventory? Is there a "Tolan's Bracer" or Endless Quiver that you all have? SOrry to sound like a newb, but hey, I am an EQ2 newb, as most of us currently are.

OK...so I read another post and it says at 21, you get "makeshift arrow" i.e. eq2's tolans. What about pre-21? buy/make?

Thanks in advance,
    Orchard Of Faydark
    Message Edited by Orchard on 12-07-2004 02:54 PM
  3. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

pre21 buy Iron Hunting arrows (6sp /stack). Tin Arrows do about half the damage and really aren't worth the time. since I hit 21, I haven't upgraded my Makeshift from App1, and I haven't run out of arrows, so it's really more than enough. At Adept 1 you get 30 per Makeshift.
    Message Edited by blitz on 12-07-2004 04:11 PM
  4. ARCHIVED-Weltex Guest

I used to use the tin arrows, I did not have the coin to buy more expensive, and my bow dmg was minimal. After getting Makeshift and using those arrow the difference in bow dmg is incredible. I now do between 160 and 244 using backshot. The combo of backshot, wounding arrow and open shot can do 200-350 dmg before the mob can touch me.
    I now use Makeshift to build my arrow supply and make sure I don't run out of these.
  5. ARCHIVED-MillsFairchild Guest

Weltex: I just posted this in the thread about bow damage not being what it should be, but if you use poison (50 skill poisons at lvl 21) it's usually around 500+ dmg before the mob even gets to you!
  6. ARCHIVED-MillsFairchild Guest

Oh, and since I hit lvl 21 (and have makeshift carbonite arrows), I've changed my soloing technique. The new way is much more effective. Fights with even-cons usually last around 15 seconds, leaving me with a comfortable amount of health and power.

Buffs: Pathfinding, Blade Flurry, Hunters Instinct, Poison

I open with:

Back Shot -> Wounding Arrow -> Open Shot (while circling mob) -> Ranged Attack

Then I turn on melee attack and move in:

Lucky Break -> Dirty Tricks -> Impale
    Cheap Shot -> Turn off attack & jump over mob -> Shrouded Strike -> Ambush (try for it, anyway)
    Bleed -> Lucky Break -> Dirty Tricks -> Pierce
    Lucky Break -> Dirty Tricks -> Impale
    Lucky Break -> Dirty Tricks -> Pierce

I usually repeat the last two sets of moves and play it by ear. I'll throw in a Quick Strike to finish off a missed HO attempt every now and then, and sometimes Evade to try and change the HO to Ringing Blow. Since Reconnoiter has such a long refresh, I usually save it for when I'm going into a tough situation or fights where it's turning out to be too close for comfort. And I generally stay away from Survival Instincts unless I'm getting hit by multiple mobs.
  7. ARCHIVED-Weltex Guest

Millis,
    I use a nearly identical attack sequence, tho have to admit I am really bad at the "Cheap Shot -> Turn off attack & jump over mob" portion of the program.
    I have begun to play with macros as I read you can make a macro to have cheap shot include a step to turn off auto attack. This would be great and if I can get it working I will post.
    Message Edited by Weltex on 12-08-2004 10:34 AM
  8. ARCHIVED-Blixx Guest

""Cheap Shot -> Turn off attack & jump over mob -> Shrouded Strike -> Ambush (try for it, anyway)""

First off I am not sure why you would use Ambush here instead of shadow blade.

Second of all I don't see how you would be able to get either of those shots off because **mods 4 teh win!!1!** soon as you hit it with the Shrouded Strike the mob will wake up from the cheap shot stun and pull you out of stealth. (at least this has been my experience)

I normally go for stalk after the cheapshot jump combo and follow up with a shadow blade. Also you might want to throw in a slow debuff after backshot/wounding shot combo and before you start backpedelling to get off the open shot
  9. ARCHIVED-MillsFairchild Guest

Because Shrouded Strike will hit the mob, make them face you, and put you into Shroud. Since it's now facing you, you can't hit Shadow Blade, so you have to Ambush. And I said 'try for ambush' because there's a chance I'll get hit and knocked out of Shroud before I can get off the Ambush.

Why don't I just Cheap Shot -> Jump over -> Shadow Blade? Because there's a good chance I won't get it off in time or will mess up the combo since not all mobs are easy to get behind quickly. I'd rather go for the definate hit (Shrouded Strike) and try for the extra Ambush damage then a Shadow Blade attempt that won't work the majority of the time.

It's just what works best for me. And at lvl 21, I don't have Impede yet.
    Message Edited by MillsFairchild on 12-09-2004 01:13 PM