solo guide for ranger

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Kagara, Nov 11, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Kagara Guest

Ok, first of all, make sure you are buffed, keep up Blade Flurry, Hunter's Instinct, and Reconnoiter as often as you can, as well as your poison.

Now to soloing! How is it done?

Well I usually open up with Back Shot, followed by wound, then Open shot. If all of these hit, and one of them procs Blade Flurry, then the mob will be down about half way.

Then, I will start my solo HO, linking with Dirty Tricks, and then Finishing with Pierce. Follow this up with Impale, and then Bleed in case the first two miss, and if they don't to start the dot.

Then, I turn off auto attack, start stalk, while stalk is charging I spam Pounce. This will initiate pounce if the mob doesn't break stealth.
    Then I do HO again.

Then I turn off auto attack again, and hit Cheap Shot, then I jump over the mob, hit it with Shrouded Strike, and then redo the ho for the final time.

This usually can drop a white / yellow fairly quickly if everything hits, if I get a bunch of misses, then I just have to bully through it spamming HO's and doing my attacks as they pop. But in a good fight, where everything is going, you can take a yellow / white solo mob out VERY quickly.

Again, this is just the way I do it. If you have another way, then use it, or take what you like from mine and use it :) Be creative and think of new ways to use your attacks.
  2. ARCHIVED-Pleiades Guest

/bump

Nice post--any thoughts now that it's been awhile?
  3. ARCHIVED-Streamweaver Guest

How are you getting off all these ranged attacks? Are you kiting the mob?

I'm unclear as to how you get Stalk to work if you're spamming Pounce, doesnt' that break Stealth?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Message Edited by Streamweaver on 11-29-2004 11:52 AM
  4. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

Ranged attacks is easy if you just don't stand still and let it come to you. Stand at the maximum range of your bow, hit Backshot..this should land for anywhere from 60 - 200 depending on your bow / arrows at ~20 - 24. As soon as Backshot fires off you should simultaneously turn on Ranged Auto Attack and hit wounding shot. As soon as wounding shot fires off start running and hit Open Shot (you do not need to be facing the mob for this) Open shot procs Blade Flurry about 70% of the time, and poisons about 65% of the time for me.

To change things up a little, you can cast Ensnare (or impede) immediately after your backshot.

Pounce breaks stalk, but you have to be stealthed to use pounce. You won't be able to use these attacks till you hit level 20 or so anyway, but by that time you should have a pretty good understanding of how to do these things.
  5. ARCHIVED-ElendenAV Guest

Very nice! I'll have to try some of those on my next bad guys. :)
  6. ARCHIVED-Stormhawk Guest

I open the fight with Backshot, then do a solo HO using Corner ( Upgrade to Dirty Tricks ) and ending the HO with Impale. Pierce is used if Impale misses, then Quick Strike if Pierce missed. It is important that you not use Bleed to finish your HO for the next part as DoT ticks will break stun. ( Though there isn't much you can do about poisons in this matter ) If Impale finishes the HO, I will sometimes pierce.

After the HO, I cheap shot and queue stalk. While Stalk is casting, I move to the side of the mob, then tag it with Shadow Lunge ( Shadowblade Upgrade ). I use Bleed at this point then start another HO Chain. Depending on how long I took to Cheap Shot and such, I will finish the HO with Pierce or Impale.

If the fight lasts long enough, I will try to Stalk and Shadowflame ( Ambush Upgrade ) or just keep chaining HOs.

Bam, Yellow dead.
    Message Edited by Stormhawk on 11-29-2004 04:54 PM
  7. ARCHIVED-Keldan Guest

Thank you,
    This is some very helpful information, from all of you here. will make my life much easier as knowledge is king :)
  8. ARCHIVED-norcal22 Guest

I am obviously missing something big...what is HO? and are poisons really good? also, how are you guys not just taking waaaaaay too much damage during these fights? I am way behind when it comes to soloing as I usually try to find groups so any info will be great. One more thing, where are you guys finding upgrades past app2? i can't find anything for the life of me and no one seems to be selling anything for a ranger/ pred.
  9. ARCHIVED-Dieguy Guest

HO they are referring to is "Lucky Break". You get it at a very low level. I am low 20s and none of my arrow attacks can compare to my shadowblade which can reach into the 240s. Most of the bow attacks will become interrupted as you move and I don't like the standard attack. The bow I am using is slightly better than the bow given to us at 20. With Medium Armor, a good deal of Health and some good stealth melee attacks, I usually use my bow when I am in a group. This suits my play style. I realize others don't see it that way. But just because we are labeled the best bowmen in the game, doesn't mean we don't have other good skills.
  10. ARCHIVED-Drattz Guest

I open up with backshot, start back pedaling and ranged attack then hit open strike (that one ya can fire on the run) ya can get off a few arrows before the mob catches ya. then i go into my melle mode where i use quick strike,bleed,impale, one other o forget name. i cheap shot and rinse and repeat till the mob dead. i throw in a heroic move once in a while to spice things up.
  11. ARCHIVED-norcal22 Guest

how do all you guys not take too much damage? and where do you find skill upgrades for our skills i cant find them anywhere?
  12. ARCHIVED-ElendenAV Guest

I think you meant what does HO mean, correct? Heroic Opportunity. It's started with Lucky Break. There's more info out there, such as at the Scout Sanctuary.

Poison is an excellent way of laying down a DoT (Damage over Time). You can have 2 running at the same time. They last 12 hours, until you're killed or stop it.

We try to kill the target quickly and/or use snare and other tricks, along with getting our Defence (AC) and health up as high as we can to keep from dieing.

You can make your own upgrades to app3 by getting yourself to crafting level 6 or above. Made at the workbench.

Go to your broker, filter for spells with a maximum of Orange (almost usable) on the left side of your broker browse. It will show you things that you can use.

Take a look at the Newbie section. There's a newly stickied thread of things that you'd wish you'd known early on. Very nice read.

:)
  13. ARCHIVED-norcal22 Guest

thanks for the info. I just need to be able to upgrade my skills cause i dont have any higher than app 2 right now : (
  14. ARCHIVED-Jowana Guest

My Soloing technique:

1) Against solo mobs:
    -Hunt >> Shadowblade. Shadowblade consistently out-damage backshot, so unless there are reasons I can't approach the mob (i.e. other aggroing mobs nearby), I prefer Shadowblade.
    -HO immediately: I use Corner (Dirty Trick is fine if you don't have Corner yet) >> Impale, which will complete the HO, then I follow that up with Bleed or Pierce. The reason I do Corner + Impale is because while both reduce enbemy defense, Impale does the most damage of all the abilities we have that doesn't require stealth mode or being behind the mob. And since you should always use the most damaging ability after debuffing an enemy, I naturally picked Impale. After the HO, since the mob still carries defense debuff from Impale, Pierce would do nicely, though I sometimes do Bleed because the earlier you use a DOT the more the return.
    -Cheap Shot, circle around the mob, and Shrouded Strike >> Shadowflame. Shadowflame has the best success chance of all stealth attack moves because it's the only one we have that doesn't require you to be behind the mob. As long as the mob doesn't break your stealth, you can easily do 125+ dmg with Shadowflame.
    -At this time, Corner should be ready, so you can HO again. Again, you should use the most damaging piercing ability following Corner: I use Pierce for this because Impale is likely still on cooldown. If the mob parries, just follow with Quick Strike: not very damaging, but it gets your HO done.

2) Against tougher mobs (i.e. links of 3 or above, or ++ mobs), A.K.A kiting:
    -Backshot following by Wounding Arrow, then switch on ranged attack and start running backward. Make sure you know the surrounding well so you don't run into another group of aggroes.
    -Use Corner; this will reduce the mob's defense against piercing.
    -Cast Open Shot; unlike your other ranged abilities, this one can be cast while you are moving (you don't even have to face the mob, but you do need to for regular ranged attacks, so keep your facing anyway)
    -Use Impede; with luck you can pull some distance and cast Wounding Arrow again (which requires you to stand in place). If you are unable to do so, at least you can gain some lead so you won't get hit.
    -Repeat the Corner >> Open Shot >> Impede pattern and you should be fine.
  15. ARCHIVED-MillsFairchild Guest

My soloing technique is almost exactly the same as yours, Jowana. Although, I don't have Shadowflame yet, so I'm stuck with an Impale attempt after my Shrouded Strike. But how do you get off the Impale after Corner/Dirty Tricks without being stealthed?

And I'm only 20, so I haven't gotten impede to try kiting yet. Looking forward to it though.
    Message Edited by MillsFairchild on 12-03-2004 08:17 AM
  16. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

You don't have to be stealthed to use Impale...
  17. ARCHIVED-Jowana Guest

I am assuming you mixed Impale up with Ambush, Mills.

Impale is a high-damage hit that reduces enemy defense; it does not require stealth.

Ambush is a stealth attack that needs you to be behind or flanking the mob.

You could try to Ambush after Shrouded Strike; it works sometime if you do it fast enough. :3 Needs some luck, though.
  18. ARCHIVED-MillsFairchild Guest

lol. Indeed I did. What I should have said was an ambush attempt. I could pick out the Icon without even thinking, but with three hotbars full of skills I'm lucky I still remember my name!
  19. ARCHIVED-McBoggers Guest

I don't think Ambush needs you to be behind or flanking, I do it from infront all the time.
  20. ARCHIVED-Sotaudi Guest

Shadow Blade may be able to out damage Backshot (though some have reported higher hits with Backshot), but you are missing somthing.
    Currently my highest hit with Shadowblade is 320 and think the highest I have hit with Backshot is mid 290s, but I have hit for 286 with Backshot a bunch, so let us go with 286. On the surface, it would seem a no brainer. My best Shadow Blade out damaged my best Backshot by 34 points. However, the typical way I start a fight with Backshot is to fire Backshot, then Wounding Arrow, then I start backpedaling and queue Open Shot. By the time Open Shot has fired and I start on the melee sequence, which is identical to what I would do starting with Shadow Blade, I will have done, say, 286 with Backshot, 75 or so with Wounding Arrow, two hits with Open Shot at 50 - 60 each. That would be:
    286 + 75 + 50 + 50 = 461, and that does not even take into account Swipe and Poisons should they hit. Plus, I now have Shadow Blade to use if I can go into Stealth during the fight.
    So while 320 is better than 286, 461 is way better than 320.