SoE Live Question

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Neiloch, Jun 22, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

So I've been mulling over what one question I want to push when I get to SoE Live this year. I figure it would be better i concentrate on one rather than a list since I probably won't get an opportunity to ask several questions. I finally came up with a good one today:
    "Other than DPS since other classes can match or beat it, what do rangers bring to a group that other players actually want and is equivalent in usefulness to what other DPS classes can bring?"
    Reason I like this is because it doesn't insert any kind of personal grievance about specific buffs and that this question could be answered for other classes in place of 'ranger'
    The end result would be either something like 'uhh we're not sure' or them answering with something we have and instantly being viewed as wrong by everyone there.
  2. ARCHIVED-dropdoff Guest

I do like that. They keep saying that we are not broken but I would like to know what bonuses we bring. The 20 second "buff" is really not that impressive.
  3. ARCHIVED-Xaiveir Guest

This was almost verbatem what i was going to ask them this year. I think it is a very fair, and valid question. While our DPS has been increased, we still bring zero value to a group/raid over any other DPS style class.
  4. ARCHIVED-Twyxx Guest

Yeah, our issue isn't dps. Given same buffs/group/gear we can go as much dps as any of the t1s, only trailing beastlords by a little. Mages have a bigger issue right now than we do with dps.
    The issue is that all the t1s are in the same ballpark with dps, but rangers are the only ones that bring basically nothing else to the table. Focus Aim did a little in HM Drunder where the mobs were hard to hit, but now mobs are back to being easy to hit so the little value it had is down to a small boost in weapon skills for the group. The hawk is a nice self dps tool, but the siphon doesn't really contribute anything of significance. Pathfinding?? That's about it.
    Warlocks, Conjy's, Necros, Beastlords, and even our predator mate, Assassins, bring way more to the table. I'm not familiar enough with Wizards to know anything they bring other than Ice Lash.
    I know that a certain value is attached to being able to dps from ranged, but it's not like we can sit there in the back and not move like the mages are able to. We have range and movement. If a good chunk of our dps wasn't from melee ca's I could see some value in that argument, but as is (and I'm not advocating removing melee ca's as I like the playstyle) that argument can't be used for much more than "that's why you have to pay for ammo."
    So, yeah, I would ask, "If you're a raid leader where do you see value in recruiting a ranger for your guild?"
  5. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

I actually notice the benefits of the hawk siphon a little in groups but it means almost nothing in raid situations. I repeatedly point out that a hate xfer is 'raid wide' since a tank is getting more hate compared to the rest of the raid. All the hawk does is lower hate of non-fighters in your particular group.

Seems to me most of the 'balance' penalties that are levied against rangers are because of it's style/mechanics opposed to what they bring that is a benefit to others, which I think is a huge mistake.

Absolutely no one is saying anything like 'well other classes can do the same DPS as them and they have less utility, but they are a scout with lots of ranged attacks so let's get a ranger.' Basically any ranged ability we have should have ZERO bearing on how much utility we should bring.