Socket Error

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Littleclaw, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Littleclaw New Member

I tried to zone into The Sprawl in the Commonlands, which gave me a fatal error message, asking me to verify the game files via the patcher. The patcher couldn't download the files. So I decided to try a fresh install. Now I get the following error (with a few characters I can't read at the end):
    Unable to download SocketError:Unreachable - No data (11004 - 205.185.208.88 - http://eq2.patch.daybreakgames.com/patch/sha/eq2/eq2.sha.zs/35/12d/07827f64475ff20632abeb
    I can't install the game from the launcher, or from the setup wizard. The wizard gives me a similar message, saying it can't download the file, and that I should check my connection or try again later (obviously, my internet connection is working just fine).
  2. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Littleclaw New Member

Thanks for the reply - I've tried all of these fixes (except resetting my router, other people need the internet right now), none of them resolve the issue.
    Edit - I have also attempted to install the game through Steam. It installs some of the game, but still needs to patch after I get into the launcher, which then fails.
  4. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

You have already written to them?

https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
    yes, Steam is not .., full client is http://launch.daybreakgames.com/installer/EQ2_setup.exe
    our choice
    and likely all the same it will be need to reset settings when others move away from computers .. sometimes it’s like a bone that goblins put into the gear to not spin
  5. Deathhorn New Member

I am getting the Same error. It is a failure to get into the Daybreak Games Server to get the files needed to start the game. Is there any way to get this fixed?
  6. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

(Side note: trying to log in for the first time in about 14 years)

Same here, though I'm getting Socket Error 11001:

Thu Sep 5 11:17:22 2019: UnableToDownload - SocketError:Host Not Found (11001 - 205.185.208.88 - http://eq2.patch.daybreakgames.com/...zs/7e/b37/d361a464211783979abd328af09d5caefcf

I've added eq2.patch.daybreakgames.com to my hosts file and DNS. Tried installing through Steam (stops around 50% every time, same error) and through Launchpad (fails at 0.1% of 255 MB). This is on both normal and VPN connections - I also did a full scan with Windows Defender and MalwareBytes, both came up clean. I can ping the address from my desktop, and from my security appliance. Allowing all traffic (for my desktop) to bypass filters on the appliance didn't work, even after adding the setup and launchpad.exe's to the Windows Defender "allow program" list. I did note that UDP attempts from the appliance seem to be blocked by my ISP a few hops upstream (thanks, Communist-cast!) - I seem to remember a "force TCP" switch, but launchpad.exe -TCP from the command line didn't work.

I seem to remember these issues from "way back when," and once you got in the first time it stopped. Is there anyplace I can find the "full" version like we used to? It looks like that's what Steam is trying to do, but still errors out.

*Sigh* Maybe this is a sign.....
  7. Deathhorn New Member

8. Littleclaw New Member

I submitted a ticket, which has gotten the expected "try these troubleshooting options" reply. Of course, none of them fixed the issue. I'm waiting on a second reply. If/when I find a fix, I'll update this thread again with it.
  9. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

10. Littleclaw New Member

Not sure why Hurricane Dorian would affect me in Washington state, unless their servers are on the east coast. Though given the studio is located in San Diego, California, it seems odd they'd have servers all the way across the country.
  11. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

Same here, WA state.
  12. Littleclaw New Member

Alright, I don't know what changed, but it works for me now. I'm sorry that isn't much of a solution, but I guess whatever the problem was, it was on their end and they fixed it.
  13. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

Same here. Wonder if it was another Comcast equipment error? I’m in western WA...
  14. silverthorne Member

15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Thanks for bringing this up (beat me to it! Had the exact same problem on the night of the 18th; I'm glad I looked up "socket error" before starting a new post, when we have this here! :D), but please, folks, if you're going to flat-out copy the error text, please clear up the white text font color first in the original post, like by first pasting it into Notepad or some other word processor, when something could be done about the color. There's no way to read it otherwise, until different posts of it came along (and looking at my quote of it, that's a fine example. Still...). :-/

EDIT: Actually, I take that back; you can correct it here in the post by highlighting that first bit, then going to the little A drop-down list between the Font Size drop-down list and the Smilies drop-down list. If you drop down the A list, you'll get the color selection, which will enable you to color the first part of the error reporting default black, or red, or something other than pale yellow->white. :-/

As for my possible solutions, I deleted the Launchpad.cache, or whatever the heck it's called, and also tried just getting in via the EQ2.exe type file. Trust me; use one or the other, not both. :-/

EDIT: Went back to using the regular desktop Launchpad icon I usually use to login with; only needed 6 files and took about 4.5 minutes, roughly, to get in, rather than the 1Gb+/several hours it was threatening me with before.

Sounds like those Launchpad.cache files aren't really useful after all, if we can manage just fine without them...

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.