So why is Stormhold failing so hard?

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Siren, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Vunder Well-Known Member

This will be the death of this server.

Already you have people trying to roll alts to fill out groups. Especially tanks. Problem is they can't get them leveled. The XP rate is borderline idiotic. We have had several people leave because of XP alone since Saturday. Maybe its not for them, but long story short. People want to enjoy the game. This grindy crap isn't enjoyable.
    Lost and Mizgamer62 like this.
  2. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

L2P.
  3. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

I don't know. To create a character just for one specific reason (to fill in the gap in a group) seems like a joke to me. Personally I don't have time for that. And it seems like you don't have time for that too :)
  4. Atan Well-Known Member

Its been 2 weeks?

And given that, the person I play with most has a 50, a 15, and 10. I imagine by next week he'll have a 50 and 2 30's or 2 50s depending on where he focuses his time..

I realize its 'too slow' for the immediate gratification crowd, but it really isn't as doom and gloom as people make it sound like. Particularly now that mentoring is functioning again. As people divide time between more alts, they'll find more vitality experience to take advantage of.

What remains to be seen is how many people are there just to hit 30 for the familiar bonus and then leave. That might be a significant problem, but for now there doesn't seem to be any lack of players playing. If anything it is a little light on players over 45 for grouping, but even there I'm not finding that much trouble.
    Xephane and Dude like this.
  5. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

I quit playing on SH when I could no longer get groups... which was around RoK. When I can no longer find groups on Fallen Gate, I'll be done again. I enjoy Subnatica, The Witcher 3, and GTA 4 if I'm going to play something single player.
    Mizgamer62 and Siren like this.
  6. Sinhika Well-Known Member

(Citation needed)

Those cloaks have had excellent stats ever since the city timeline quests were added, way back whenever. They are the ONLY reason to bother doing those long, involved, painful, FORCED-SOLO quests. Without stats, they are crappy appearance items whose appearance will be available in other, later cloaks with real stats. The only other rewards are house items, until the level 60 bracket of the city timeline. Are you seriously saying that this major line of interleaved quests is ONLY intended for decorators, and that NO ONE ever noticed until you did that they "weren't supposed to have stats"? When they were written up in EQ2 wiki for years, and every experienced EQ2 person I knew on live recommended running that line JUST for the cloaks. If so, I question your intelligence and the dev who said that. Either that, or you are lying. So, which is it? Are you lying or are you stupid?
    Alenna and Atan like this.
  7. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

He did cite his source. In this case it's Fyreflyte, the itemization developer. You could always ask for clarification in Discord if it bothers you that much.
    Xephane likes this.
  8. Zenji Well-Known Member

9. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Yep, that sounds about right. That auto-itemization tool they use was responsible for half the broken crap on Stormhold.
    Xephane likes this.
  10. Zenji Well-Known Member

There is so much wrong here, but we can just go with, he wasn't lying and not likely stupid.

Most of the quests are not "forced-solo". I just did them with 2 others on Fallen Gate.

Yes the appearance will be available on later cloaks not in Vanilla. Thousands of items skins are reused at later times, get over it.

It most likely was noticed, however Fyreflyte was added to the Dev team last year. Once he start redoing items for Vanilla for the Fallen Gate server he changed it.

They were first implemented with out stats, then after one of the many re-itemizations that have happened over the years it was added, and now it was removed. Items in this game have changed so many times, if you don't think so look at Lootdb, Wiki, Zam, eq2wire, any countless others. You can find the same item with different stats several times, and most likely even different than what it is in game. Also citing eq2wiki as a reliabe source for items is terrible. It has had more outdated items there than correct items for several years now.
    Xephane likes this.
  11. Xephane Active Member

Way to completely insult me because you don't like something. All I did was tell you why one of your points is the way it is and you go out of your way to call me stupid, unintelligent, or a liar. Thanks! All the proof you need is sitting above this message. Just because you disagree with something doesn't mean it's "broken" the only broken thing involving the timeline right now is the Freeport quest "Set Sail For Slaver's Isle".

BTW I didn't "notice that they weren't intended to have stats" I was on Beta and I ASKED Fyreflyte why the stats were missing because I assumed it was a bug or an oversight. He INFORMED me that they were intentionally removed.

You are also insulting a DEVELOPER'S intelligence just because you don't like something? Real mature.

Side note: These lines are a few quests that give awesome experience rewards and it's something else to do. You can also get some coin out of it. So no, it isn't just for decorators.
  12. Sinhika Well-Known Member

I apologize for insulting you, since it does turn out it's the dev who has made this mistake--I found his reply on another thread (the one about the broken cloaks) after I posted this. I am sorry I'm taking out my frustrations with the game on you--it seems like every other patch, they do something that's making me think more and more "Y'know, WoW is actually FUN to play". I'm really only staying for the decorating at this point--both my guilds on Live and the one on Stormhold are pretty much dead from lack of population, Stormhold period is utterly deserted, IoR that I tried starting toons on is almost as deserted as Stormhold, and my spouse isn't a decorator. When they give up in frustration at the nerfs and broken stuff, that's it, I'm pretty much gone from DBG, after nearly a decade of EQ1/EQ2/DCUO. I will be sad to leave behind my various houses that I am still decorating, but it's getting pretty pointless--they keep taking away the FUN stuff (like gliding on my wind komodo, or the sense I accomplished something rewarding and worthwhile in doing the brutally hard solo city quests, not to mention the actual reward for those damned quests, etc). If there's no one to show off my houses to, well, I can solo build stuff in Minecraft just fine. If the game isn't fun, why am I paying for it?

ETA: Developers aren't immune to mistakes and stupidity. Just look at Windows' bug history some time. I am a software developer, I know this all too well.
    Xephane likes this.
  13. Xephane Active Member

Thank you for your apology, I understand your frustration. I just make the best of the worst and love the rest :)
  14. Siren Well-Known Member

You know, my sub lapses next month, and I'm not renewing. My Deathtoll characters got merged into Stormhold, but it's obvious SH is as dead as DT was when it got shuttered, sadly enough.

Daybreak should start some original events for SH, and keep working on itemization/content fixes up through the current expansion there.

It would be a real shame to shutter SH, and that would make it the third gold sub server to get the axe (after Deathtoll and RTT)-- not exactly an encouraging situation for us would-be subscribers out there, especially in the absence of another super sub deal like the $5.99 a month yearly gold offer we got last year at this time.
  15. Finora Well-Known Member

RTT was never going to be a permanent server, they said that when it released. So that one doesn't really count.

I have my own thoughts about why the premium servers are suffering. No one is really going to want to hear it though since I play 99% of my time on the regular servers.
  16. Arandar Well-Known Member

The problem with this reasoning is that it's from the perspective of someone playing on the standard servers. For people want to play on a TLE server, not the standard ruleset, and they want to play with other people, there is no option. Stormhold is dead in the water, typically with no more than 10-20 people online.

And frankly, it's been a month. The people from the standard servers who just wanted to do the HQs and then go back home have already done so. They're there right now, grumbling about etherials, tithing and all the rest. I don't see much, if any, evidence of the remaining population on Fallen Gate having any interest in playing on Stormhold.
    Jandraligeli likes this.
  17. Jandraligeli Member

Stormhold failed due to a lack of resources throughout its lifetime. Itemisation, Balance and Game play issues, left to fester, led to the attrition of the existing player base. Failure to communicate changes, rational for maintaining such a punishing experience rates across the entire content meant that it acted as a barrier to any potential new players.

Fallen Gate, I really hope is a better experience. However I expect to be here in again lamenting the same lack of resourcing and pro-active decisions made by DBG.