So what do you think of the DarkPaw Games announcement?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Games'nGhosts, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

Thank the gods for pointing this out!!
    Juraiya, Siren, Argosunited and 2 others like this.
  2. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

I've moved the debate to EQ2Wire forums. I will continue to refute conspiracy theories here.
  3. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

My sincerest apologies to the op if my post went off topic, it truly was not my intent.
    Breanna, Benito and Mizgamer62 like this.
  4. Almee Well-Known Member

You all kept me entertained while I was doing some long zoning lol.
    Siren, Pixistik, Benito and 1 other person like this.
  5. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Yeah, same here. I admit I let someone distract me from the topic there, so the OP and others deserve an apology.

Just for clarity, I've been commenting on not just what the physical change is, but speculating on what it means and responding to all the assertions made within the announcement :)
    Pixistik, Benito and Mizgamer62 like this.
  6. Bentley101 New Member

One of the new developments for Darkpaw/Daybreak Games and NantWorks are developing a version of EverQuest for mobile devices.
  7. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

The OP has my apologies. I asked that we move the discussion (corporate and political) to another website but a handful of individuals insisted that they broadcast their theory to a larger audience. Apparently, the most vocal individual could not handle the scrutiny or any opposing voices.
  8. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Fairly certain they handled it just fine
    Juraiya, Mizgamer62, Mermut and 2 others like this.
  9. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

LoL, they can't even put out a mobile version of the forums, doubt they can do any better with a game
  10. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

It's up the readers of the thread to decide. I put out arguments of merit but I was put on ignore. :(
  11. Dude Well-Known Member

Breanna, Juraiya, Quillyne and 4 others like this.
  12. Lunablanco Active Member

In response to Dreamweaver, you did a really awesome job of dodging the answer. Again not a yes or a no, and I am going to stay guarded about this issue. It's not like people have 300.00 to drop just whenever...A lot of people have job's, and familiy's to care for. As well as house / rent, etc...
    Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr likes this.
  13. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Well, the mobile games for H1Z1 and EQ are (supposedly) being developed by Nantworks. The whole arrangement between the Nantworks guy and DBG is convoluted. Reportedly, he dumped a bunch of money into DBG and took an ownership percentage in the LLC. But Nantworks is an entirely different studio that outside of DBG.

In any case, it's unclear if either mobile game is still being developed. The only news to come out since the original deal is when he shipped the h1z1 stuff back to Daybreak. I heard a rumor somewhere (can't remember where I saw it) that the Nantg folks were not thrilled with Forgelight - No idea if that rumor is true.

If either is still in development, I can't imagine it would be too much longer before we get an announcement of some kind.
    Mizgamer62 and Rhodris like this.
  14. Feldon Well-Known Member

Daybreak Games increasing reliance on the Marketplace on top of a subscription and expansion model is not a "conspiracy theory". The amount of player power available through the Marketplace has ticked upwards in a steady climb. This is as measurable and unassailable a fact as increasing ocean temperatures and shrinking ice sheets. People are literally paying hundreds of dollars, not for endgame raiding, but to participate in anything beyond the casual heroic content. When the highway shrinks to 1 sluggish lane and then the 3 lanes adjoining it are moving at a fast clip but require a toll, some people will pay. Claiming that that isn't a toll road or recharacterizing it in fancy terms doesn't change anything.
    Over the 12 years I wrote about EQ2, SOE, and then Daybreak, it was rarely maliciousness. It was instead a lack of foresight of the consequences of corporate decisions. The company has been genuinely surprised by player reactions throughout its 20 year history. From rebooting EverQuest servers to thwart players killing a raid target that players had spent months planning, to trying to make a battle royale Planetside game. Daybreak is pushing the Marketplace as far as they can and will continue to do so until the resistance > revenue.
    Your obvious baiting and brazen bullying has been noticed. Enjoy the sanctity these forums provide, comforted with the knowledge that anyone who would rebut your attacks vociferously would surely receive a forum vacation.
  15. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

To be on the upper or max of the power curve is optional. Again, I bring the example of capital ships on Eve Online and Star Citizen (which are even steeper, monetarily measureable curves). Those ships are prestigious and powerful but not required for the enjoyment of the game. People do not need to like the model but it is far from manipulative and coercive (which, on another facet, Star Citizen is more vaporware than EQ2).

Can you give me examples of where people (on EQ2) are "paying hundreds of dollars, not for endgame raiding, but to participate in anything beyond casual heroic content?" Where do you draw this information from?

The toll analogy is poor except for the fact that tolls are optional in many instances. People [and adults being the overwhelming demographic in EQ2] put more value (and management) on their real life finances than any potential of added virtual power. Unless someone suffers from a diagnosable psychological illness (impulsivity, depression, gambling addiction), it is highly unlikely that they are victims but free agents unto themselves. Just like in real life, people look for deals and avoid the toll (rational actors).

I respect your history Feldon. Everyone on the forums (and I suspect the devs) regard you highly. I am not sure if the company has been "genuinely surprised." There are misguided decisions for sure but these are made by different individuals (John Smedley, Dave Georgeson predating Holly Windstalker) and franchises (Planetside being a separate franchise). I am not sure if we can attribute anything to an evil mastermind with manipulative and coercive forces to maximize on revenue, yet (I'll grant you). And, yes businesses need to survive and/or turn a profit. (I actually appreciate the brass tacks approach the decision makers are taking by shutting down an extraneous project like Planetside Arena),

(Don't believe everything you read on Massively - most EQ1 players ignore them).

First, I don't appreciate implied or passive-aggressive threats. Second, any review of my posts previously shows fair arguments. Third, I don't appreciate people talking behind my back on EQ2Wire forums (I've been called names there in Dec 2018) and your crew ganging up on opposing voices (Rhodris, Gillymann, Mizgamer). So go ahead I understand you need to save face because you are getting heat for letting me on your forums (which even you portray as open and free, intellectually honest). I was hoping you would remain an unbiased, objective voice of reason but I suppose peer pressure/majoritarian rule is getting to you (maybe with some of that manipulation and coercion that we throw around).

Some people will be missing the fireworks and their popcorn.
  16. Feldon Well-Known Member

I'm getting heat? I'm bowing to peer pressure from players? You don't know me at all.
    Arclite, Juraiya, Geroblue and 6 others like this.
  17. Mermut Well-Known Member

Nobody is 'Feldon's Crew'... nor is anybody upset that you're 'allowed' in the eq2wire forums.
    Juraiya, Geroblue, Siren and 4 others like this.
  18. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

It was a tongue-in-cheek point to the same assumptions you make about Daybreak/Darkpaw.

It's like assuming former Columbus Nova (a.k.a. Russian boogeyman) feels pressure from investors and will do anything to swindle cash out of poor EQ2 players.
  19. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Thank you for that clarification then.

My point is we shouldn't make assumptions about Daybreak/Darkpaw without hard evidence. Obviously, there are examples of the "EQ2Wire" crew liking each other's post but that is only innuendo (or statistical analysis).
  20. Mermut Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the people making the decisions over at daybreak/darkpaw are very, very bad at sharing information with the players. The frequently don't tell us 'what' they're doing (or planning to do) and I don't remember the last time we got a 'why' about any of the 'whats'.
    All we have are the results and consequences.
    The lack of information means that the only thing we CAN do is speculate.. and due to lack of any other information speculating based on past actions is the most sensible and reasonable way forward.
    Past experience has shown that 'waiting to see' leaves us with no more information and insight that before the 'wait'.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.