So what do you think of the DarkPaw Games announcement?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Games'nGhosts, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bentley101 New Member

Long time gamer 2002 EQ1 and EQ2 at launch. 1st time forums post, I had to say I'm thrilled to hear about Darkpaw.
    Cyrrena and Siren like this.
  2. Argosunited Well-Known Member

I wonder if the t-shirts will be added to Marketplace.
    Kittybock and Cyrrena like this.
  3. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

And for those who missed the Twitter pic...

[IMG]

Your skill in Facial Hair has gone up! (25/40)
    Kittybock, Rhodris, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  4. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

I'm indifferent, mostly. I like the name, though. I certainly hope it bodes well for Everquest's future. Hopefully it gives them the freedom and ability to pursue opportunities for the next game in the EQ franchise. Likely in the short term, nothing will change from players' perspective. From a business perspective, this makes it easier to split/sell off IP individually, instead of as a whole group, and so that decisions and evaluations can be made individually on their merits, instead of all being covered under a single umbrella.
    Juraiya, Tkia, Rhodris and 3 others like this.
  5. Dude Well-Known Member

My big question is about the status of the lifetime membership I bought.
    Juraiya, Cyrrena, Alarra and 3 others like this.
  6. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

Hopefully they stop throwing the money they earn from eq1 and eq2 into projects that die a year later and invest them back into these two games. They lost more than $50 million on The Agency, EQNext/Landmark, FreeRealms and H1Z1.
    Tkia, Feldon and Geroblue like this.
  7. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

I was expecting more Fippy Darkpaw in the logo. Honestly, we've known this was coming for about a month now, and I'm disappointed in the logo. Missed an opportunity there.
    Dude and Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr like this.
  8. Games'nGhosts Active Member

9. Breanna Well-Known Member

Me too Dude o_O
    Cyrrena, Siren and Dude like this.
  10. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

If they decide to no longer honor lifetime subs (or know they will not honor it - sell off IP in 1-5 years), they should plan to give lifetime subscribers 1-3 free premium tier expansions along with the ongoing sub.
  11. Avithax Well-Known Member

This exactly.

Sunset incoming as soon as they have established independence because they don't want DB taking any liability if there's lawsuits. Even legal fees. I already feel like they've ninja fired most of the staff because things are more broken every day and definitely not getting fixed.

Just my speculation.....
    Rhodris and Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr like this.
  12. dorotea Well-Known Member

If they want an EQ3 the fastest way may be to buy Pantheon. Under Brad it wasn't for sale to Daybreak but he is gone and maybe Darkpaw can grab it. Note that I am not saying this would be good for Pantheon or its current supporters.
  13. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

It looks to me like they may be considering selling off one or more of the new subsidiaries.
    Rhodris and Siren like this.
  14. Bhayar Well-Known Member

If it was sold as a lifetime membership in EQ2, I would expect it would apply to EQ2, not DBG. Regardless of who operates the franchise, the lifetime membership follows the game. That membership would terminate if the owner of the property went into bankruptcy or terminated the game completely. A better question might be, should EQ3 actually launch, what would be the legal impact of the lifetime membership in EQ2 as it relates to EQ3, especially if EQ2 is kept alive. Interesting question, Zedd.
  15. Avithax Well-Known Member

It would depend on the exact wording of your original purchase agreement in which I seriously doubt they left a provision that would create a liability for a newly opened franchise.
    Geroblue likes this.
  16. Dude Well-Known Member

It wasn't sold as a lifetime membership to EQ2. It was sold as a lifetime membership for "Daybreak's All Access games." The small print says "For the life of the participating games."

My concern comes from Holly's statement where she said, "Currently, nothing will change for your accounts and membership. No worries there." I would have "no worries" if that didn't start off with "Currently."

https://www.everquest2.com/news/eq2-winter-extravaganza-2018
    Tekka, Juraiya, Zeddicious and 7 others like this.
  17. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Theres a difference between an expac for 15 year old game, and a new game. Would be entirely new staff/budgets etc.

Apples and Oranges to compare the two.
  18. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

I'd suspect lifetime subs are legally to be honoured, as DBG are still the publisher for the game. There would be a whole raft of legal issues otherwise.

I never heard of LoTR lifetime subs being an issue when DBG started being the publisher
    Siren likes this.
  19. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Because DBG has clearly been investing all their earnt cash back into Expansions right, and not putting it into other side projects?
    Avithax and Rhodris like this.
  20. Dude Well-Known Member

"DGC reserves the right, at any time and in its discretion, to change the pricing of the All Access membership, to add or remove games, and to modify the features of the DGC All Access membership."

https://www.daybreakgames.com/allaccess
    Juraiya, Breanna, Raff and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.