So sad, Warlocks = Gimped Class - Causing people to leave.

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-OrdoAbChao, Nov 22, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Nirvy Guest

Well im currently happy with my warlock :) Certainly dont see it as being a gimped class is anyway what so-ever
  2. ARCHIVED-winddrake Guest

Granted I am not a Warlock yet, but from what I can see the class sounds cool regardless. There just isn't enough information yet to justify some of these claims about them being gimped. And even if there was i would imagine that some people would want to play them anyway for role-playing reasons. I for one am gonna play one anyway because I love the concept of turning people into toads, bats, and rats. I am going to recreate my King Phelps now because of it, since he is notorious in my home d&d campaign for his rat familiar too. Of course that won't happen for a long time but hey it will be funny when it does.
  3. ARCHIVED-Attrius Guest

I'm a warlock and I am feeling really, really gimped. Reason: can't find my **ZOMG** adept books anywhere. Got a couple for when I turn 27 or 30, but using crap versions of dark distortion and, espeically, blaze. Been looking for a blaze adept book since I hit level 10. I'm level 23 now...haven't seen a single one in groups or in /auction or at the brokers. Makes me want to PK.
  4. ARCHIVED-Victicus7 Guest

Thats funny because i have every Warlock Adept I from lvl 20-29 except curse of darkness and infinite void...also have a blaze adept III...take some time and accually look through the brokers for the spells, also /auction the name of the spells you are looking for, i bought 3-4 that way

i looked tonite and found 3 copies of adept I dark distortion on the broker, so they do drop
  5. ARCHIVED-Mylixia Guest

6. ARCHIVED-Findarato Guest

37 warlock almost 38 and I love my class
  7. ARCHIVED-Gorfan Guest

Nice Mylixia....btw are you the same one from Tarew Marr in EQ1?
  8. ARCHIVED-Attrius Guest

It's odd...still can't find any dark distortion scrolls in Freeport. No bother for now...even my appIII spell does very nice damage at level 24. I ask every group I join, my guild, and in /auction chat if anyone has these spells because I've got gold burning a hole in my pocket here. I check the brokers 3 times a day and still nothing. Bah!

The upgrade to dark distortion made me an extremely happy camper. I can just sit at the funeral pyre in Nek and blast away the dragoon sentries there for a nice grind when I'm not inviting debt with groups for tougher quests.

Warlocks are so not gimped. Thanks for upping my DD damage SOE! :D
  9. ARCHIVED-Narenek Guest

check the blackmarket broker in freeport.. it seems dark distortions drops more often on the light side than dark.
  10. ARCHIVED-Siltae Guest

That's where I got my Dark Distortion Adept I from...in fact, every single 20-29 Adept I I have scribed or waiting in the bank for me to level to scribe, has been purchased from the black market.
  11. ARCHIVED-QQ-Fatman Guest

12. ARCHIVED-ianedge Guest

read the wizzy forum, there isnt much complaining about DPS problems... I dont understand why Warlocks have gimped DPS, I gotten into this class because of the poison/disease element hoping we would be DOT king, haha how silly of me, looks like the chanters have that title
  13. ARCHIVED-Bharph Guest

I've been struggling with this one..

As a level 22 Warlock, what the hell is the purpose of all the AoE spells ?

At 22, I'm either..
    A) looking for mobs to solo
    B) In a group fighting tougher mobs or groups of mobs

Scenario
    A) Will I use an AoE spell on a single mob and burn up all the power ? (Umm.. No)

B) In a group fighting a solo bad guy, will I burn up the power for an AoE ? (Umm.. No)
    B-1) Will I use an AoE on a group of mobs ? (Umm.. even if the tank does AoE taunt, the damage is going to draw agro of all engaged mobs minus 1) and in a lot of cases that leaves the tank and remaining tanks trying to get agro back from all mobs minus 1 which was their main target/taunt in the first place.

I got the main DD spells I use most and as you other Warlocks know they are level 10 Blaze and level 15 Ice Spike. Since then the only usable damage spell has been an AoE that I see being left to the spellbook forever because there is no feasable
    use of them that I can see.
    I have tried the AoE spells in groups on multiple green con mobs and it still leaves the tanks ******** about losing agro, so again.. what is the point ?

Granted I'm taking into consideration that I'm using an Adept III Blaze that does 150-160 a lot of the time and the AoE spell is doing in the 90's at Apprentice I. This AoE spell could get better damage after upgrading to Adept III or Master, but again.. is it gonna be useful enough to use in a group or do I have to solo pull 4 green mobs and hope I don't fizzle/interrupt in order to use it more than once ?
    I'm still learning here, but so far.. the AoE's have been a waste of space/time and power for every bit of power I've used casting them.

Unless I'm completely screwed up and doing everything wrong..
  14. ARCHIVED-OrdoAbChao Guest

I agree, I thought we would be Dot kinga/queens as well. Kind of sad to see this isn't the case.
    When I hink of disease I think of hitting you with something that makes you rot away over time.

All the AOE's are weak as well and although good for farming lowbie mobs, I'd settle for one decent AOE and lots of stackable dots.
    How bout an AOE Root?

Hmm...

I just hit 23 Warlock last night and I will say that Dark Distortion is pretty slick.
  15. ARCHIVED-Yadylia Guest

Warlocks do get an AOE root at level 40, Bony Grasp :smileyhappy:

p.s. are they really that gimped compared to wizards? first I wanted to go necro but after reading all the negative posts I thought well maybe I'll go warlock or wizard but warlock sounded more fun but I thought they had about the same DPS power ... now I'm not sure most of you warlocks don't seem very happy about your char ... some positive feedback would be nice, maybe the class gets better at higher levels
    Message Edited by Yadylia on 12-04-2004 04:45 PM
    Message Edited by Yadylia on 12-04-2004 04:46 PM
  16. ARCHIVED-Wombatt_Nome Guest

People still taking this as us being gimped. Remember that it was started and most of the thread happened before our most recent DPS increase. The change to Dark Distortion has brought us in line with Wizards in terms of nuking. We are doing pretty well now.
  17. ARCHIVED-QQ-Fatman Guest

ok so the warlock is doing good dmg after the recent patch? about the same dps/cost as the wizard?
    Message Edited by QQFatman on 12-05-2004 02:46 AM
  18. ARCHIVED-QQ-Fatman Guest

sorry double post ._.
    Message Edited by QQFatman on 12-05-2004 02:47 AM
  19. ARCHIVED-Panador Guest

OMG, just completed my Warlock class quest today and now I'm reading that Warlocks are gimped and cannot compete with Wizards... :(

I decided for Warlock over Wizard because I wanted something else than the lighntning, ice and fire spells I've used for the last 18 levels and because in all the spell comparisons and discussions I've read this far it always said that Warlocks and Wizards were equal.
  20. ARCHIVED-Nirvy Guest

My Damage is comparable with aa Wizard friend the same leve as me. Their is nothing gimped about warlocks.

They cast faster
    Their spells use less power
    They drain power on hit
    They can stiffle on hit.
    They do maybe 5-10% less damage than a Wizard.