[So-and-so] is no longer worth experience or treasure?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-hexalobular, Jul 5, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-hexalobular Guest

So what does "[So-and-so] is no longer worth experience or treasure" in the chat window actually mean? (When you run away from a fight , get killed or just can't be bothered to stop when you pass a MOB)
  2. ARCHIVED-Karimonster Guest

It means that killing that mob will no longer grant you any sort of reward whether that reward is experience points (XP or AA) or loot (chest drop, body drop, or coin)
  3. ARCHIVED-hexalobular Guest

That is, of course, what it sounds like it would mean, but if that is what it actually means then it's just plain wrong.
    Which is why I thought it might have a more limited meaning that wasn't clear.
    Several times now I have reengaged MOBs less than a minute after receiving that message and gotten both XP and Loot.
    A couple of them were named, so I know they were the same ones.
  4. ARCHIVED-Arielle Nightshade Guest

What probably happened is you ran away or otherwise disengaged the mob, then turned around and engaged them after they reset.
    This happens if they leash (if you are running) or if you are solo and the mob charms you - meaning you have no groupmates or anyone allied with you attacking it, it will reset.
    Saying they are no longer worth treasure, etc, etc, isn't a permanent condition for you forever...just until you turn around and re-engage. The message is to let you know that the encounter has ended (if you are running away from it, you want to know that...).
  5. ARCHIVED-hexalobular Guest

So basically it means I won't get any reward for killing them until I kill them?
    But seriously, if I'm in a group and my groupmates kill it then I don't get a share?
    How about if I make it back to the fray before the kill, do I get to join in again?
    Or if I (alone again) and the MOB kill each other but I go down first I wouldn't get any XP?
    Are there any other situations where they wouldn't reset imediately (so that that message would make sense to a soloer)?
  6. ARCHIVED-Arielle Nightshade Guest

If you have groupmates working on it, you shouldn't get that message even if you run away. ( and w t heck are you doing running away when your groupmates are fighting???)
    If you are solo and what you do causes the mob to die the split second before you do, you get credit and loot - although you will have to probably run back to the chest (which is locked for you, personally for a certain amount of time..usually plenty to get back and claim it).
    If the mob kills you the split second before they die, the encounter will be reset and you'll see them swagger back into their starting places with full health. If you die first and they die to a DoT or some detriment you have placed on them the second after you die, you still won and get the loot.
    They don't reset *immediately*, but they don't take very long to do so. You can tell because they go from being non aggro/unattackable to aggro/attackable, even if they aren't exactly back where they started.
    Also, like I said before: if a mob charms you and you are solo..it will reset back to full health pretty quickly.
  7. ARCHIVED-Arielle Nightshade Guest

hexalobular wrote:
    ..smarta** ^^
    lol
  8. ARCHIVED-Karimonster Guest

hexalobular wrote:
    What it means is:
    If you "leash" or "break" the mob ie go past the position of where the mob will end combat and return to its starting point- THEN engage and kill it while its running back, you'll get no experience or treasure.
    So if George the Gnoll attacks you as you run past and you just keep running, he'll chase you to a certain distance. Once you pass that distance, he'll stop chasing you and go back to what he was doing. When he stops chasing you, he physically runs back to his spot. Its not an instant transport.
    Should you decide to turn and shoot an arrow in George as he returning to his spot and kill him you get nothing because the mob is no longer hostile.
    This also is the case when a mob is engaged with someone else and you kill the mob. If Fred the ranger is killing George and you shoot an arrow into George and kill him, you get nothing. Fred gets the experience and the treasure.
    You get a couple clues as to whether or not the mob is creditable. Many times, the mob's name will turn grey and there will be a No Treasure mark next to their name (kind of like a No Smoking sign, but with a treasure chest instead of a cigarette). In this case, you will also NOT be able to use Heroic opportunities to kill the mob.
    If you're running through mobs and they attack, you know you'll get nothing when their names go from the red-ring aggro indicator to a non-Kill on Sight mob as they run away.
    The only mob I've really run into where this is a big problem is the bridge mob in underdepths who has a 5 micrometer aggro range and likes to target people outside of 5 micrometers.
  9. ARCHIVED-Finora Guest

As others said, if you run far enough away from an encounter for it to leash or if you /yell (or use the ! ability that yells for you) you will get that message. If you were to turn around and look at the mobs chasing you if you /yell, you will see that their names have gone gray & they will have a crossed out treasure chest icon by their name.
    After you've died/zoned/gone far enough away for them to reset, the mobs go back to how they were & the encounter resets to it's original state, ready to be killed by you or someone else again.
  10. ARCHIVED-hexalobular Guest

Thanks!
    I guess it isn't compleatly meaningless but it does sound like it can safely be ignored in most cases.

And who t heck said I was running away? Maybe I got killed, or maybe there were two of us at level 90 squishing Roekilliks, (upstairs not down The Hole), there'd be no point in both of us stopping for a mere ten or so, so I would have leapfrogged them and run on to the next group.