So, about that Silver/Broker Selling thing...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Morukta, May 14, 2022.

1. Avirodar Well-Known Member

Posts in the official EQ2 forum archives appear go back to 2004. A couple of the sections include:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?forums/general-gameplay-discussion.184/
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?forums/account-related-support.209/

Anyone can jump in and dig around. If you find something supporting the OP, please share.

I had a good dig around, but I couldn't find anything to support claims made by the OP. I was able to find the official post from Smoke Jumper announcing the grandfathering of silver (linked earlier), but it made no mention of the ability to SELL.

At what point is it reasonable to acknowledge that no one has been able to produce an official SOE post, forum discussion (including archives), fan site post, wiki page entry, or blog page supporting the claim made by the OP? I see more reason to doubt the OP's claims than believe them, but am open to changing my mind if anything of substance can be produced.
    Hartsmith and Siren like this.
  2. Ayodi Active Member

er... sounds like asked & answered there fellow thinker. You can't see what is not there. If we knew what had been lost in the afore mentioned soe to dbg hand off..................... it would not be......lost.
    Riverbear likes this.
  3. Avirodar Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean by that?

The archived forums date back to 2004, which is the year EQ2 launched. There is also a notable post archive on EQ2wire. Information is available dating back to well before SOE was "handed off" to DBG. Exactly what are you suggesting was "lost"?

Are you trying to imply that DBG had the desire & ability to scrub every archived forum post, official announcement, fan site and fan blog post about grandfathered silver accounts supposedly being granted unrestricted sell access to the broker?
    Siren likes this.
  4. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I've made backups of my sql for my web sites. Tried to find something in there, and noticed a few missing items. So backups can lose things. Doesn't happen often, but it does from time to time.
    Riverbear, Breanna and Lateana like this.
  5. Siren Well-Known Member

But losing every single shred of any concrete evidence on every single site (including official ones) to back their claims? ;) While simultaneously not losing a single shred of the evidence from all those various sites that clearly disproves their claims.... ;)

Many links disproving Silver's ever having given anyone at all free broker sales have been posted in this thread, and official records about EQ2 are still easily accessible online, dating all the way back to 2004 and EQ2's launch. Plus, many players in this thread including myself have launch-era accounts, which were given Silver "grandfathered" status on Day 1 of Silver's launch, and we have never been able to sell on the broker for free on our Silver accounts.

Meanwhile, not one person who silently benefited from this "free Gold sub perks bug" on their Silver accounts for 11 years (instead of reporting it like they should have) has linked even one single official statement backing their claim that they deserve this benefit, or were entitled to it in any way at all.

The silence is deafening....and quite telling.
    Geroblue, Avirodar and Hartsmith like this.
  6. Riverbear Active Member

The Ayodi certainly in general terms may have been addressing the off-site sub-contractors that held data who DBG summarily dismissed. There could be the inference data to support / refute claims here was in that. No way to know.

(I believe it would have been a trove of statistics mostly - quests completed, leading / top whatevers, first event things, world discoveries server disvoveries all manner of non essential EQ2 data like that.)

I know people who still play who lost hundreds of acknowledgements of their play and That Data loss in the hand-off from SOE to DBG may be the event Ayodi is pointing to.

As to this fur ball over Silver - keep it :)
    Be well :)
    Geroblue likes this.
  7. Siren Well-Known Member

As has been pointed out numerous times by many "Grandfathered Silvers from Day 1 on" who have posted in this thread, practically all of us have never been able to sell on the broker for free, ever, nor have Silvers who paid the $5 to upgrade from Bronze (back when you could do that). :) Please stop completely wiping our factual statements out of this conversation, especially when all other arguments against our facts feature random theoretical scenarios with zero proof shown.

Why would only the tiniest portion of "Grandfathered Silvers from Day 1 on" have the right to sell on the broker for free for 11 years, while tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of other "Grandfathered Silvers from Day 1 on," have not? :p It was clearly a bug that those Silvers who got to sell on the broker for free exploited (either intentionally or unintentionally) for 11 years instead of reporting it like they should have, and zero proof has been shown to refute this.
    Avirodar likes this.
  8. Ayodi Active Member

Your own summation shows the flaw in the thread - there is no way anything you say happened could go undiscovered in EQ2 for more than a decade. No exploit, no mistake, no workaround (Whatever!) like what YOU say happened would ever NOT be discussed in the open. Have you ever seen Gen Chat? Players kill horses to sell workarounds down the river just to be seen as 'right' in an argument. Just like that bone you won't turn loose of here, the egos of the hot pocket gulping players would leave no stone unturned in a Gen Chat or forums spat. Dozens, hundreds, who knows? No way it is not in the open for Devies to see. No way they just now figured it out. The only thing we know for sure is, just now they did something about it. Your own words doom your diatribe.
    Morukta, Riverbear and Lateana like this.
  9. Avirodar Well-Known Member

It is actually a shame. Another day, and still absolutely nothing of substance presented to support the OP.
    I would be more than happy to stick it to DBG if they had wronged me for all those years!

It looks like a situation where some people assume that being able to do something, meant that it was intended.
    I am not going to attribute any kind of malice to those who could. They may have thought it was all above board.

Those fortunate enough to enjoy free sell access had a long, free ride. But now the free ride is over. That is unless one of them can present any kind of viable evidence to support their claims?

Will check back in later, hoping someone can produce any actual evidence. I can only assume those who care enough to argue the OP's case on these forums, would also care enough to find something of merit to support their position...
    Ayodi and Siren like this.
  10. Thand Well-Known Member

I have been subscribed for years on my main account so it never was a big issue. Even from the start my Main account that got Grandfathered to silver could still buy and sell on the broker during the brief times my sub was lapsed, The second account that i Bought silver status for could not. Me and others back then just thought it was a Perk of being an Original eq 2 subscriber. Looks like now they are saying it was unintended ow well,
    ShriNayne, Ayodi and Riverbear like this.
  11. Riverbear Active Member

@Thand ~ Prepare to be shouted down and bullied my friend, since what you contribute is not in line with, someone's, beliefs :)
    Thanks for relaying your experience relevant to the discussion.

@Avirodar ~ You will wait forever for the answer you want. The answer you need is already demonstrated in the thread.

@Siren ~ I enjoy your contribution more when you champion a topic that is not in the ether of guess work. Your tenacity rocks!
    Ayodi likes this.
  12. Avirodar Well-Known Member

The demonstrated answer would be:
    https://www.everquest2.com/news/imported-eq2-enus-5068

The announcement made by Dave "SmokeJumper" Georgeson", Executive Producer for the EverQuest Franchise, explained the reasoning behind grandfathering characters created before F2P. There was no mention of grandfathered silvers being given broker sell access.

If SOE intended to give grandfathered silver accounts free sell access to the broker, there would have been mention of it in forum posts, fan sites and wikis, official announcements, and references made on account matrix lists posted across multiple platforms.

It is not a matter of what I "want". It is a matter of plausibility. A claim has been made, with no evidence to support it. A few people saying they could sell on their grandfathered silver accounts, does not mean it was intended. Good news is that my offer is still on the table. Will be happy to switch sides on this topic, if someone can produce something of actual substance to support the claim. If you think that means I will have to wait forever, you must have no faith in the claim.
    Ayodi, Hartsmith and Siren like this.
  13. Riverbear Active Member

Evaluent dismissives bear not fruit in an honest discussion.

Who are you again? Hmm... not to sound unreasonable, yet please consider doing your own work.

The demonstrated answer is: There is no way to prove anyone wrong in this case because definitive answers for both sides are not attainable.
    Q.E.D. :)
    Ayodi likes this.
  14. Siren Well-Known Member

I'm not here for your personal entertainment, nor do I care what you think.

If "Grandfathered Silvers on Day 1" were intended to sell on the broker for free, then ALL "Grandfathered Silvers on Day 1" would have been able to do it, not just an erratic few.

Attention "Silver seller" peeps, you were exploiting a bug all these years. The bug finally got removed. It wouldn't have been removed if you were meant to have it all along. It's good that you didn't get banned for not reporting the bug. The Truth Hurts. ;)

So Riverbear, I take it you've been one of the "bugged Silvers" for the past 11 years then, by the way you erroneously, without any proof of legitimacy at all, keep trying to sweep all the rest of us "Grandfathered Silvers on Day 1" who haven't had the ability to sell on the broker for free under the rug with lots of nonsensical yammering, and zero proof about this being a legitimate part of Silver. And I repeat: The bug finally got removed. It wouldn't have been removed if you were meant to have it all along.
    Breanna and Avirodar like this.
  15. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Gero quietly backs away from the thread, although he may forget he did so, and zooms away to elsewhere.
    Breanna, Ayodi, Siren and 1 other person like this.
  16. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

Why would anyone shout at Thand? She clearly acknowledges that she only assumed it was a perk, and by saying "ow well" (typo of "oh"), it is safe to say she accepts the outcome as having been a misunderstanding.

Demonstrated where, exactly? Dude, nobody that has argued that grandfathered silver were supposed to be able to sell on the broker without tokens has actually provided any links to anything official nor even fan or gamer publication writeups/articles to show that it ever was that way, as it WOULD HAVE BEEN to show the perk.

And yet, you don't have anything to prove her wrong when her comment is weighted with those whose experiences being grandfathered silver did not include the ability to sell on broker.

I am not among those that think those who "had" that ability knew it was an exploit or somehow cheated, but I do think at this point you should take a cue from Thand's attitude and just say "ow well". Because I am sure it was fun while that lasted, but at this point, you are beating a dead hobgoblin.
    Breanna, Ayodi, Riverbear and 2 others like this.
  17. Riverbear Active Member

That's a negative Ghostrider! Yearly ~ SubsciptionS.Top Drawer, my recalcitrant discussion friend.
    Yet thanks again for yet another stab at quessing wrong. Your record is intact.
    Your ACI is not.
    Pls get some help :)
    Ayodi likes this.
  18. Riverbear Active Member

When you bother to read, I have not spoken in favor of either side of the hubbub. I have illustrated perticipants' incomplete thinking attacking a topic. Two very different things, if you read.
    Ayodi likes this.
  19. Ayodi Active Member

"The Ayodi"..lol, Can I use that?
    Hartsmith likes this.
  20. Siren Well-Known Member

Why did the bug get patched out then, if those Silvers exploiting it actually deserve to sell for free on the broker? :)

And Riverbear, try speaking English this time and actually answering the question directly for once. ;)
    Breanna likes this.