Smedley speaks on the future of MMO's

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Skitterfast, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Kickya Active Member

perhaps what ol smed meant was ....

we can spend 7 hours in game LFG with 45 mins in the heroic after spending 6hr 15mins sat in the guild hall waiting

"swashbucklers tend to have to wait till theirs not many T1 dps available"
  2. Leeroy 16 year vet. Forum lurker. Altaholic.

Feara likes this.
  3. Malleria Well-Known Member

I like how he complains about games being a rush to endgame, or that the game doesn't start until max level, as though he had nothing to do with it. That's just what happens when you don't maintain a strong population at all levels. It's what happens when you don't invest in marketing your product and improving the new player experience. Nobody but himself to blame for that nonsense.
  4. Gharyn Well-Known Member

Wait... X2 content? What? Where? Did I blink and miss it? :>
    Leloes likes this.
  5. Rainmare Well-Known Member

@Atan : Sorry, in Eq1, I raided every night, 4+ hours. and then usually did grouping another 2-3 hours. yes, raiding in Eq1 took long periods of time. mobs had huge hp pools, none of thier abilities had cast bars/timable mostly, so you prolly spent at least half the raid time wiping and learning. and we usually went after 6-10 different targets a night in various zones clearing trash and racing any other guild that wanted a shot. since you know, everything was contested.

Granted that model is still working in Eq, but yeah I can see how people might not want to deal with it. now in eq2, I raid from 8pm est to 11pm est on fri, sat, and monday. and we usually had run out of things to kill by then, or we'd prolly raid till midnight.

@Gninja: I am liking the Rum Cellar, but I agree it's a little small in scale. but I get this was more a test run thing. see how we handle the 'campaign' idea. though one thing tr9ubled me a bit..there are mercs for sale on the marketplace. I Was wondering how they are in comparision to the ones we earn in game...and if they are better...isn't this a nudge a little to much into the pay to win catagory? what I mean is, if the random chance 'Fallen Paladin' is better then my 10 year vet merc, or say the Rum Cellar monk or Quaar, then that might trouble me a bit. if the fallen paladin is mostly equal to say the 10 year vet, then I'm fine with it, as it's kinda an ingame/purchasable method to get said merc without waiting a decade.
    Griff and Innania like this.
  6. Sunje Active Member

I firmly believe the days of the WoW-style MMO are over

Sorry i must laugh :D damn!

This game has more then 10 Million players, i dont know whats wrong with Smed...
    Pipsissiwa and Leloes like this.
  7. AlienShine Member

That man disgusts me.
    flameweaver, FriggaWitch and Leloes like this.
  8. Feara Well-Known Member

I have to disagree here. I believe he is right. What has happened to this game happens to all decade old games if their still up and running. It is not the fault of Smedley. Most players (not all) that come into a game that is a decade old, that requires heavy grind, want to be in the end game asap. Why? The heavy time sink and the fact that the player base is at the end game in some form and fashion. They want to be in the latest expansion. I think they have done an excellent job with the Heroic Chars, Agnostic Dungeons and AoM. Now they just need to tie it together. What I would like to see is them offering this bundle in a great first time player package at a killer deal.

Get them in game and get their game on.

Team ~ have you thought of offering a small tutorial starting at Heroic? With the pre-selected AA lines you already have you really don't have to much more to do. Right? Maybe pre-selected skill bars? It seems to me that the many skill options really can hang up some players. Maybe preset skill bars for solo, group, ect.
  9. Gramma Active Member

I'm a player of EQ2 and I want a duck mount.
  10. R.J. MacReady Active Member

Some John Smedley history.

Years ago it was John Smedley himself who posted the announcement for the very first server merge for EQ2.
    Remember now, this post was to announce server merges.

The very first line in that post was this: "The game is growing"

That is all you need to know about the man.
  11. Delishus Active Member

Indeed...
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/24/exclusive-smedley-on-the-sunsetting-of-star-wars-galaxies/
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  12. Delishus Active Member

He does make some valid points IMHO. If there was a game with end-game heroic and raid content available to play through with some kind of ready-to-go end-game capable toon that I could drop into on a whim and get into a 24x raid that took an hour or two, I'd play it every chance I could. The only thing even remotely close I've come across thus far is DCUO which is silly fast to max-level then you start doing (fairly fun) instances and building up your progression sets. At least it was that way heh

13. Deago Well-Known Member

"All I want is a room somewhere far away from the cold night air...with one enormous chair oooo woooouldn't be lovely! Lots of chocolate and lots of heat..lots of coal making lots of heat...warm face warm hands warm feat ooo wouldn't it be lovely!"

- EQ2 Home Decorator

"Let the bodies hit the floor let the bodies hit the floor...../music"

-EQ2 Mass Murdering AOE Enthusiasts

"She glanced this way I thought I saw...but when we touched she didn't shutter at my paw! No it can be I'll just ignore...but then she's never looked at me that way before..."

-EQ2 Roleplayers

So you see...lots of different styles and that was only a few...hard to pinpoint the win for all in the future.
  14. FriggaWitch Well-Known Member

I would hazard to guess that If, Thats IF, DBG were to just leave EQ2 in the state that it was after the AoM xpac and just concentrate on fixing the things that most community members grumble and moan about there would be a lot of people willing to stay Status Quo. If DBG were to say come out with a xpac this Oct or Nov. that was a quality story following Norrath Lore people would be ecstatic. Maybe DBG should spend more time looking at forum posts and concentrate on keeping the fan base happy instead of turning us into a bunch of mutineers. IJS

This is EverQuest the name should say it all.
    NickStern likes this.
  15. Innania Member

Based on the lore of AoM, I think Cazic and Innoruuk are going to make a run at the newly formed Luclin, or the Shissar are finally going to succeed in opening that portal and invading.

Either way, I hope they use the model for the goddess Luclin that they created recently for EQ1. She's pretty cool looking. The fact that they said there were planned expansions for the deity system makes me hope for more worship-able deities.

FriggaWitch likes this.
  16. Thalador Active Member

Leloes and FriggaWitch like this.
  17. FriggaWitch Well-Known Member

Thats cuz he's pushing the reedit,cuz PS and H1Z1 do it, just like they moved the guide pages to a forums.station.sony.com address which seems kinda strange. Actually this whole DBG thing is strange to me. No sense complaining because it'll just be more of the same. Move things around to make it look like everything's ok when everyone knows where this is already headed. Totally away from the dedicated player to the short attention spanned gamer.
    Thalador likes this.
  18. Hanokh Member

1) The boat ride.

2) The starter isle.

3) The starter isles.

4) The suburbs.

5) Gear scaling from red to grey.

6) Pre-writ crafting in any form.

7) Crafting bonus for first time creation. Why make any non-writ item?

8) No Golden Path to max-level so that level 1 to X becomes useless.

9) Not getting a sword at level 2 that one shots everything until level 15+.

10) Hiding group skills from low level characters because the game is easy mode until level 25 with no reason to group.

11) A reason to go to The Thundering Steppes. One can level to max level without ever going to Antonica, Thundering Steppes, etc. Same on Freeport side for The Commonlands and Nektulos Forest. If one does not read closely, one can get to max level not even knowing these zones exist.

12) Horses that don't run 4000% speed and all the other ridiculous mounts.

13) The game has devolved into a fashion show for silly mounts, SC outfits, and house decorators.
  19. FriggaWitch Well-Known Member

I don't think I'm devolved cuz I am a house decorator.IJS
    Belenos likes this.
  20. Vinyard Active Member

Roll the game back to what it was back in the base game. Strip our mounts of their speed of light, bring back the gear rating system, bring back heroic scarecrows in antonica, bring back dangerous overland zones. Bring back dungeon crawling (not mass pull everything and then lol loot).

I saved EQ2