Smedley speaks on the future of MMO's

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Skitterfast, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

while I totally understand where you are coming from and thank you for defending me. Generalizing the other spectrum just makes you look bad. Leloes is entitled to her/his opinion, and solo gameplay. Her/his opinion may be negative, but thats what we all are entitled to. Im not trying to be a jerk, but all of these things end up in a fight, which gets no one anywhere.

Leloes, I should remind you that it takes different strokes to rule the world. Its not one man/womans world. Its a world for everyone. it appeals to a variety of styles. Not just how you play, but others as well. Some people have put alot of money and time into this game, and if something changes that makes them not enjoy the game, I would expect them to speak up about it in hopes of the game finding its way back to that. If I payed for a good meal at a restaurant I go to frequently, and all of a sudden the food started sucking shouldnt I speak up about it?
    Moonpanther likes this.
  2. Leloes Well-Known Member

You seem to blame everything on solo players. Which what is not our fault. We have the right to play our way just as you have the right to play your way. I don't get why you think we soloers are the reason the MIGHT fold. With an attitude like that it's no wonder it might. Apparently you don't understand anxiety attacks so I won't go into that. I told you to quit if you are so miserable because that iks what I would do. That's what most people would do. Looking for attention.:rolleyes: You really are funny.
    Pipsissiwa likes this.
  3. Ratza Well-Known Member

you bring up a very valid point....most people would guit going there to eat and not say a word except to those they know...I bet a lot more quit this game without a word to the devs than those of us left here posting our thoughts/opinions on the state of this game.
    Fetish likes this.
  4. Leloes Well-Known Member

Some how you have misunderstood what I have said in my other post. I did say everyone has the right to play the game the way they want but we need to come together as a community if the game is to survive.
  5. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

without a doubt. I mean during DoV I was in like 3 guilds that just folded, for 2 major reasons. One was the fact that encounters were really busted and difficult. The other being the introduction of free to play bringing a crowd that didnt invest in long time play like eq2 and eq was used to. It was always common to take like 30 minutes to form a group. But insert people who cant stay long and arent investing into the game monthly and it just gets unbearable. And I know alot of people who dont post here and dont like to speak up that just up and quit.

Being a person who owns a business, that is a difficult thing to deal with, I would be grateful for anyone who was willing to tell me what they didnt like or even liked, no matter how painful that information might be. The negative information helps me put my goals as a company in perspective, because I am not just trying to sell to one crowd, I am trying to sell to all crowds who may be interested, whether it be a niche crowd or a general crowd.
    Moonpanther likes this.
  6. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

And one of those things is people pointing out what they dislike. Changing the game so that older players want to come back can be viewed as a way to make this game survive, am I wrong?
    FriggaWitch and Moonpanther like this.
  7. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

we dont need to hold hands and sing kumbayah for this game to survive. Its not our job to make it survive. Its DBGs job to listen to the fans and make attempts at supplying the demand that they perceive. Things dont get better when people just blindly unite behind it. Things improve through argument, discussion, positive and negative discourse.
    Kraeref and Moonpanther like this.
  8. Leloes Well-Known Member

Let's just agree to disagree. I have my opinions. You have yours.
  9. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

your opinions seem really vague and defensive. Tell me about how we get together as a community and make this game survive. Illustrate some steps for us to follow instead of giving me a short response and a dismissive opinion. I will gladly read it and consider it without abruptly disagreeing with you.
    Moonpanther likes this.
  10. Mermut Well-Known Member

Agreed.. but having the community snipe at each other is counterproductive.
    Belenos and Moonpanther like this.
  11. Leloes Well-Known Member

Ardur,

My posts are neither vague or defensive. I have stated how I feel. You disagree so be it. Enough arguing. It proves nothing.
  12. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

Im not doing anything like that.
  13. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

you say we need to get together as a community. how do we do that? do we meet in a town hall? at a park? IRC Chat? what is our mission when we unite? whats the purpose of uniting?
  14. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

ok, telling someone to quit instead of respecting their opinion and not trying to discuss it isnt dismissive I guess...
    Kraeref likes this.
  15. Mermut Well-Known Member

Agreed. But my understanding of Leloes posts is that he's saying that the community needs to work together and support a broad based options of play style rather then what many have been doing and blaming 'other styles' for the alleged 'impending death of eq2'.
    Belenos and Leloes like this.
  16. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

I can see that, We all are together whether we agree or not. We all are in some way in support of this game, and we dont need to agree to do that, all we have to do is post here, whether its positive or negative. Im not blaming anyone aside from the developers of this game because I think that they arent as interested in retaining its original long term player base, which goes back to the actual topic of this thread. I think both sides need to obviouslyl earn to respect eachother without pointing fingers, but I dont see that as remotely possible based on what I have seen in pretty much any multi player game ever. So I am just stating my opinion on it, and trying to do it respectfully, though it seems to be taken as some sort of attack.
  17. Leloes Well-Known Member

I'm not dismissing you. I am simply saying why continue to play if you are so miserable? I wouldn't I'd quit.
  18. Leloes Well-Known Member

But I have no interest in arguing with you.
  19. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

Im not miserable at all. I dont understand what you mean by that. I also dont play now, and a subscription isnt required to post an opinions on the forums.

But I still wish I could enjoy this game as I used to, and I have spent alot of time playing it. I have 2 accounts with alot of toons that I raided on and grouped on, spent actual money on. I see what this game has turned into and feel some resentment towards a game that satisfied both casual and hardcore at the same time, that stopped and started investing more on the casual side even though it has a low retention. You said it yourself you would just quit if you didnt like it. Would you do it without explanation after playing for a very long time? If so, how does a company understand how to rectify the drop off of a person who quits without explanation? This is pretty much why I speak up, because its a game I played, and still play in some form that I would like to see improve, so I state my opinions about it.

I just hope you can understand me here, I understand why we need casual/molo players. But you should see the other side too. The economy wouldnt really exist without hardcore people farming items, and if everyone soloed there wouldnt be a need for so many servers, only a serer to cover the chat interface. Even though we are divided by playstyle and opinion, it doesnt mean we dont benefit from another. Which is why both opinions are valid. Shrug off the people that say you are the problem, people that blame others are the problem. We need to build a nerd bridge across nerd lake and meet in the middle.
  20. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

I just want you to hold me! plz