Smedley speaks on the future of MMO's

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Skitterfast, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Skitterfast Well-Known Member

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-days-of-the-wow-style-mmo-are-over-h1z1-boss-s/1100-6426943/

Smedley giving his opinion on the future of WoW / EQ / EQ2

So yea, don't expect too much future investment in the games we love.
  2. NrthnStar5 Well-Known Member

Complete disrespect IMO. Go run a console game company and put someone in charge who loves these games like the players playing it.
    Axzaril, Xillean, GrunEQ and 14 others like this.
  3. Elostirion Well-Known Member

If he's right, it is because the evolution of the genre (and its customers) which he has helped direct and has furthered along, has led it to this juncture.

If he's wrong it only means that he doesn't understand his customers.

Everyone who has ever played any Sony products in the last 15 years knows without me saying anything else, how much truth may be in both of those sentences.
  4. Breta Well-Known Member

It's this. I don't remember single time he was actually right.
    Xillean, Pipsissiwa, Charlice and 2 others like this.
  5. Widem Active Member

Best case scenario....he was just promoting H1Z1 and is bad at promoting.

Worst case scenario...he is serious and the person in charge of the ship already is finding a way to founder it.
    Belenos and Wirewhisker like this.
  6. Hellsnot Member

He is right, none of the 6 million people playing WoW raid...................
    Xillean, Belenos, Pipsissiwa and 4 others like this.
  7. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Well it is easier to spit out content when you don't have to worry about storylines, lore, or a reason to actually be out exploring/questing. And hey heck, who needs that pesky crafting stuff..... Guess he just wants to spit out as much garbage as the market will bear and fill the coffers quickly with micro transactions that folks will have to pay in order to play anything...humm. Because hey no one has the attention span of a gnat anymore. Maybe he should rename the company to daybreak twitter games. Play in 140 seconds or less. :p

I have to say I was deeply disappointed in this kind of attitude from the CEO of the game I've spent so much time in. :(
    Griff, Xillean, Belenos and 10 others like this.
  8. Hellsnot Member

Im sorry.....
    None of the 10 million people playing WoW raid...........
    Xillean, Belenos, Moonpanther and 2 others like this.
  9. Eclipsed Member

You are so wrong Smedley. The industry is starving for the next "WoW like" MMO. The only reason games keep failing is they keep giving us grade c ground beef not even fit to feed to animals instead of the filet mignon we ordered. The format still has so many things to try still. We want a real meat and potatoes MMO that we won't finish in less time than the trial period. We want the next true successor to EQ/WoW. So far there hasn't even been one MMO launched in 16 years that was even capable of being considered to take that title. That is the part you keep missing.
    Xillean, Akathu, Zeffran and 8 others like this.
  10. Hellsnot Member

This is what happened, the investment company had a meeting with smedly and said.......why are there 10 million people playing WoW and 10,000 playing eq2, that was his response, and people in lala land running with unicorns like smed have to keep saying it so it becomes the truth.......2 years and daybreak will be reduced to android store games.
    Pipsissiwa and Wirewhisker like this.
  11. Feara Well-Known Member

A roll of the dice dear Smedley, a roll of the dice.

"today's gamers" want everything fast and pretty much for free. Free does not pay the bills, subscribers do.

Can't blame you for trying. The clock is ticking and eventually the largest, longest, hardest, fastest, most faithful running player base will be gone.

Just an FYI ~ I currently have 3 generations playing this game (before you start thinking I'm 83 :eek:, try 47) .
    My granddaughter is 12 and she loves the game.

Fast games are fun for a short period of time but not one that most will be willing to pour a whole lot of money into.

If you don't want the game Smedley sell it to me.
    Griff, Belenos, Zeffran and 6 others like this.
  12. Tippysaurus Active Member

Smedley is was and always will be a presumptuous out of touch ********* that has no concept of what players want because he isn't one and never was. He is the main reason PVP died in EQ2 and that is taking the franchise along with it.
  13. FriggaWitch Well-Known Member

Yay more console games instead of developing the story we all know and love , seriously Guess a lot more cash can be generated selling console games than a game like EQ2 huh. Oh wait Norrath started out on a console is that where it's headed back to the control pad generation?
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  14. Allabreve Active Member

Smedley seems to be offering a false dichotomy: raiding every night vs. having a life expectancy of 45 minutes.

I like being able to get on for 20-30 minutes in the morning and actually accomplish something. I also like being able to get on for several hours on a Saturday afternoon and do something far more involved and time-consuming. If I want an arcade style one-and-done play experience, I'll spend more time playing Wii games. It's a far better platform for that kind of style.

Back when I was in a raiding guild (over a dozen years ago in EQ1), we didn't raid every night. We raided a few times per week. This was before WoW ever launched. If Smedley believes EQ1 (or WoW) were primarily funded by people who raided every night, then he has gone senile at a very early age.
    Xillean, Belenos, Zeffran and 8 others like this.
  15. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Has he thought that maybe games are only capturing the attention of folks for 45 minutes is because there is no depth to the content? No real strategy? I mean really how long can you stand around shooting zombies.... I wouldn't even last 45 minutes before I uninstalled the game and started looking for something else. Oh and I'm a diehard PC gamer. Why would I buy a hundi when I can build a jaguar? I'll stick to my PC's thank you very much.

*In the process of building my jaguar.
    Xillean, Belenos, Zeffran and 8 others like this.
  16. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Laura Naviaux, senior vice president of global sales and marketing (according to http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-04-27-daybreak-wakes-up-to-life-after-sony), really needs to learn where socks should be stuffed.

Edit: Sorry if that is disrespectul, but.......lip zipped before I get in more trouble.
  17. Harborx Member

My 45 minute gaming sessions are over? What cog are you spinning there?
    Im seeing less content and longer sessions due to the requirement of Ferrin currency to buy (anyone seeing a trend here?) armor upgrades. As well as the new campaign, its a smaller scale of what you are already doing with larger releases. One or two zones with the solo/adv solo//heroic/challenge heroic/raid instance. Thats less than half of what was previously considered content in prior expansions.....and its half the cost of large expansions!
    Also, how is a raid zone with ten bosses going to be a 45 minute session? I know I'm good, I'm glad Smedley is finally coming to terms with this. :D

Smedley's vision. Less content, high profits! He is playing the fence on this one. Keep his workers happy with less work/pressure. High profits for the investors, 'tis a recently acquired company.....you betcha there is an agenda now
  18. Griff Well-Known Member

If SoE (when they were owned by Sony) believed that the majority of players were "hardcore" looking for raids and heroic content only then they would not have wasted time/money on boosting the mechanisms facilitating casual play. Many of the EQ-1 crowd that raided regularly, self included, came to this game for a more casual game where you could accomplish more without the holy trinity for groups and raiding. Then, when numbers started dropping because too much group required content was added, they changed their focus back to a more casual friendly game.

Now it appears that they are going back to the old ways of solo/molo players need not apply unless they can be happy with a few small instances and limited quests in an expansion/campaign. Groups for Heroic content are not just difficult to find because of dwindling populations. They're also difficult to find because many players are no longer into that aspect of gaming.
    Innania, Xillean, Belenos and 3 others like this.
  19. Feara Well-Known Member

Yes. I do believe this is correct and the way of things. I prefer to solo/molo. It's a way for me to just chill.
    Belenos, Xirena, FriggaWitch and 2 others like this.
  20. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Ooooh! Kudos! If you meant that for real. Can't resist linking this: