SKs need casting on the move

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Payton, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Hoosierdaddy Active Member

Surprisingly, this is actually the most cogent and reasonable response to this subject that I've read.

Without a ranged snap, it doesn't matter what crusaders cast. They will still need to be within melee range to gain aggro.

As for the DD spells that will be castable on the run, none would peel a mob (and I'd use a bow before any of them).
  2. Yukishiro1 Active Member

The cure spell is a good point. Being able to cast cure on the move probably IS overpowered. Otherwise, it seems like a lot of hand-wringing over very little.
  3. GrouchyMouse Active Member

Can't Inquisitors do that? And during some of the current raid content, you can cast on the run so that puts all healers in this category.

As a Crusader player since launch, I don't think it is. And I gotta say, after testing this on beta, I'm just impatiently waiting for it to hit live. I can't tell you how many times I've interrupted myself on a pull/during the fight because I took a step back to readjust the mob.
  4. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Inquisitors can do that as part of their mythical buff. In the long line of progression - it was a pretty hard-to-get weapon that had that buff on it when it was 'new' and not something they just got for showing up and being inquisitors. In the difficulty of obtaining the cure ability, I'd argue that Inquisitors initially had to do a ton of tough stuff to get it, and SK's only have to level to get their cure.

Now, though, it's not that tough to get Epic Repercussions buffs. My favorite toon is SK right now, and I would still not like to see the cure castable on the run.
  5. Lygerr Active Member

you should probably yell at your healer more then, if they are letting detriments sit on the tank.
  6. GrouchyMouse Active Member

What was being brought up was casting on the run, not how long detriments sit. The healers I know always take detriments off soon as they hit or will pre-cure. Their being able to do this on the move, such as during a joust when some detriments hit in raid fights, would be a great thing.

Yukishiro farther up stated that casting cures on the run would be a bit overpowered. I brought up that Inquisitors can do that, and that in some raid fights all casters types can do so on the run without interruption (Baroddos). It had nothing to do with how long healers will let detriments sit.
  7. Lygerr Active Member

3/4 healers can't cast a cure on the run though, nor the other tanks(i don't even recall non crusaders having any sort of cure at all, it's what you get to offset other tank abilities and i believe it is just something you have to live with in knowing your class).

would i like my defiler to cast wards on the run? yes i would very much, but it's just part of how the game works and you learn to do with what you have. sometimes things evolve but too much and it creates problems.
  8. GrouchyMouse Active Member

Paladins have one which can cure off one of each detriment on them with an attack, but as it's a spell it can interrupt if it's on the run: Castigate. http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Castigate

Paladins also have an AA ability that'll remove detriments on others, Cure Spells, and possibly interrupts on the move, never used it. http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Cure_Spells

Aura of the Crusader which cures detriments, both Crusaders get in AA. I'm not sure if it'll interrupt. http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Aura_of_the_Crusader

I know these because I play a Paladin and know the class better than I do SK, but I've started growing one so I'm learning a bit as I go.

But, after playing on beta with the changes, I don't think it'll be a huge overpowering thing for the above to be cast uninterrupted. I believe all three have long recast times, and that's an offsetter right there. Even with the AA to up recast/reuse and adorns.

Ok, Aura of the Crusader, 1 min recast. Cure Spell, 5 sec, but how many will be paying attention to detriments on others...majority will be paying attention to the mob and their own detriments. Castigate, 3 min recast unless you take the AA in the Paladin tree, which cuts it to a minute and change...<--going by memory.

Look, I'm not arguing. I just made a comment because I thought that in live game there was a healer who could cast cures on the run, and it was the Inquisitor. I'd love it if all healers could, I play a Warden and I know how it is to either judge a pre-cure or try to pre-move to where you think the tank will go and set off a cure. And having raid healed in my time, it's a pain to keep track of a group there as well as cross heals and cross curing. But overall, I don't think it'll cause a problem. You feel it will. I will gladly agree to disagree and wait and see how it all works out come live. :) <-- not a sarcastic smiley
  9. Malleria Well-Known Member

Make all cures castable on the move. Priest, tank, mage, scout, all of em. Doesn't really add any difficulty to the game, just makes it less frustrating.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  10. Controlor Member

Paladins have:
    Castigate - Self (soon 0.5 sec cast time) and 3 min reuse. The AA does not decrease the base reuse so it caps out at 1 min 30 second (and soon it will be castable on the run currently not). Curing 1 of each hostile type.

Cure Spells - Target 1 sec cast 5 sec recast. As it is target you really should make it macroed to just cast on yourself. And have it act as a self cure (i am often faster at curing myself than my healers, also soon to be castable on run currently not). Cures 1 of each ele, nox, arcane effects.

Aura of the Crusader - Self 0,5 sec cast 1 min recast. It cures just hostile types (daze, fear, stifle, stun, root, force target). If none of these effects are on you, are not curable, or a curse than Aura does nothing. Currently it is castable on the run.

Zealous Smite - Group 2 sec cast 1 min recast. It cures 1 of each hostile type and is castable on the run.

SK's just do not have the "Cure Spells" cure. Of these 4 castigate is the weakest cure spell paladins have. With enough casting and reuse speed you can cap these spells out in raids, and the other 3 are powerful cures for raids (whether self or otherwise). If you are smart about cure spell you will have 2 macro's for it. 1 set to cure yourself (primarily used) the other set to cure a healer. Certain fights healers may be stunned or stifled which they can not cure the group so just hit Aura and follow it up by cure spells on the healer. I look forward to being able to cast cure spells on the run as it will make jousting and getting hit by a det or any other thing where i have to move and faster at curing myself than healers better. However the fact still remains that it is a fast cast fast recast (0.5 sec cast and 2.5 sec recast) spell to be able to cast on the move.
  11. Lygerr Active Member

may as well just make all casters cast on the move.
  12. GrouchyMouse Active Member

I still don't see where it'll be a bad thing for casting on the move for Crusaders, or for any casting class. I can understand wanting limits in gameplay to make it a challenge such as for boss fights etc.

I'm not arguing or saying anyone is wrong. I agree to disagree and will wait until gameplay to see how it shakes out. But from running in beta with my Paladin, casting on the run is a good thing. However, habit still takes precedent: I may be able to do that, but I tend to stay in one spot because of the past years since launch of "if you move, you interrupt yourself" for my gameplay. Old habits are hard to break. :)
  13. Bloodlich Member

I'd just like to point out that there are 3 spells that I know of which can be cast while moving without the aid of a temporary spell: the illusionist mezz, the druid AA spell Wrath of Nature, and the mage AA spell Arcane Bewilderment.
  14. Estred Well-Known Member

I realized that I made a semi-false statment but yes, most spells can't be cast without aid. I should have amended that statement back when I remembered that Illusionists can cast Destructive Rampage and Peace of Mind while running. I had forgotten about the 3 you mentioned though.
  15. Elhonna Member

(Fury spells castable on the run...Single rez, group rez, Wrath of Nature, Lightning Siphon, Stormbearer's Fury). I personally would love it if all spells were castable on the run. Congratulations, crusaders. Hopefully SoE will follow this up by removing this limitation from all spellcasting classes. For the same reasons given for this change. It simply makes the game more fun and feel like less of a burden.
  16. Meirril Well-Known Member

What do you mean "the way it was"? The way it was not only had crusaders standing still to cast spells, but the spells all had 1.5-4 second casting times. About half of the abilities crusaders have are combat arts. Not only could you use them on the move way back then, you still can. You've always been able to. The actual spells you have always needed to stand still through casting and about 2 years ago it was changed to reduce the casting time on most fighter spells to improve general performance.

If your so worried about ranged DPS how about paying attention to the terrain and using it to your advantage? If they want to kite you, don't follow like your a MOB with a script. Head for some cover to break line of sight and get out of their range. Force them to chase you and force them to make a mistake. Your a tank, soak some hits and bide your time till you can control the action. If you can't manage that, go roll a different class.
  17. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Ranged DPS cries IRL if you get in their face.
  18. Bloodlich Member

Melee classes cry IRL when you kite them and they don't know how to counter it.
  19. Duele Active Member

Some of us remember when you could cast on the move as Crusaders anyway. It was like this at launch and wasn't changed until T6, in DoF.
  20. Controlor Member

I remember being very upset that my ward was no longer castable on the run in DoF.