SKs need casting on the move

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Payton, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Payton Active Member

seriously, why are SKs the only tank who have to stand around like forgotten dates?
    DPS is DPS, no matter if it is "casted" or a combat skill.
    AT LEAST for single-target spells and self-buffs, casting while moving is badly needed. It's just annoying now because you have to let the group wait for you always, and in BG you can't even chase after people who run away or try to kite you from afar...
  2. Luhai Active Member

Actually we're not the only tanks. There are also those Paladins, you know. ;)
    I also don't agree we really NEED to be able to cast while running. We've been like this for years and did pretty fine without it.
    There are bigger problems, like another reliable snap.

Still, it would be nice not to have to worry about casting a CA or a spell while chasing after a mob or a player.
  3. Estred Well-Known Member

Nobody, can cast spells while moving without the aid of a temporary spell.

Spell: Require concentration and moving breaks taht
    Combat Arts: Can be cast while moving.

Been that way since launch to my knowledge. Yes though Crusaders need a reliable snap... not necessarily another snap... just a reliable one.
  4. Payton Active Member

If you want better snaps, make your own thread. This one is about defending yourself while moving.
    If you can't cast single target spells while moving - CHANGE THEM INTO FRIKKIN COMBAT ARTS and leave the AOE stuff as spells only!
    I don't care what category they are.
    Gaarysal likes this.
  5. Estred Well-Known Member

We were commenting that there is no issue with surviving. SK/Paladins have been doing it for expansions... never been an issue and it still is not. The real issue with SK/Paladins are the lack of a reliable snap... that comment has been made no further discussion it is needed.

Edit: If you want to cast single-targets while moving, please see playing a Brawler or Warrior. Classes are supposed to have weaknesses, if you have to pause for .5 seconds to cast... then don't move so much. If they keep making this so blastsed similar within a half year we will have 4 classes in this game

- Tank
    - DPS
    - Healer
    - Support

There will be no difference between Enchanters or Tanks or even Priests they will all just be one of those 4 since everyone must be able to do everything by themselves, forget ever needing another player... sorry that is getting off topic again, just I really get peeved about players asking for things that have been seeded parts of another class for almost the full run of the game.

- rant done
  6. Payton Active Member

it is braindead that SKs were designed that way, they need to transform single target spells into COMBAT ARTS.
    simple as that.
    and it is not about surviving... it's to make the class less annoying.
    Gaarysal likes this.
  7. Gaarysal Active Member

Ever heard of a bard? They had all of their spells changed to cast on the run a few years back and they do not need to move nearly as much as a tank. It is necessary for tanks to cast on the run for memwipes when mobs like bastion decide to take the scenic route instead of just turning and for positioning on pull especially on multi mobs when they need to be stacked. Chaos Cloud has remedied this to some extent but if it's not up it becomes a bit of an issue. There is nothing unbalancing about this at all, it is just a stupid mechanic that was never updated as the game matured.

Is not being able to do it a zomg game/classbreaking problem? No.
    Will doing it somehow magically destroy brawlers and warriors? No.
    Is it a simple fix that will make life easier/more enjoyable for crusaders? Yes.
  8. Estred Well-Known Member

That was a rant. Those aren't usually the "most well thought" I personally see no issues nor do I expereience issues about it when I play my Paladin. Thus I see no reason to change it.
    To me asking for this change is just a mark of the player being lazy or whiny that they have to do something different because of their class.

Note, I acknowledged I may be wrong even during my rant. I also stated what I believe is wrong with crusaders, and it is not their spells.
  9. Payton Active Member

First time I hear that wanting to move instead of sitting on my butt is lazy :)
    You are the typical "but we did it always like this" person. If we'd follow your rule, we'd be stuck in stoneage and use bush-drums instead of mobiles.
  10. Estred Well-Known Member

Not quite, I have suggested many changes to Fighters. However this is one point I disagree with you on. For years Rock Skin has been a stifle/stun for Bruisers... however that is very detrimental to them given what current mechanics are. Crusaders on the other hand are not really impeded by being unable to move while casting.

You also are still sitting on your butt, having to stop to cast though requires you to have the thought to do so thus at least mentally you are more active. It isn't so much I think this would be a "bad" change; I think it is unnecessary.
  11. Gaarysal Active Member

Thanks for your thoughts on Pallys, brawlers, and snap aggros in a thread titled "SKs need casting on the run."
  12. Estred Well-Known Member

I stated my original thoughts about "Sk's Casting on the Run"; I think it is an unneeded change. I then said what I though WAS a needed change and got challenged by being called archaic. I corrected that with an example then restated my thoughts on the thread-title as it seemed that was unclear.

I will say it again: SK's and Paladins do not need to be able to cast on the run, it is inconsequential at the moment for them to do their job in the game.

Do not forget that "SK's" implies 'Crusaders' as they are both unable to cast on the run and such the request involves them both.
  13. Payton Active Member

good luck trying to hit Rangers, Necros, etc. with your "thoughts" while they can dance around you and kite you, root you, stifle you, and you can't even use some low dps single-target spells on them unless they're so nice to stay right next to you. This is extremely stupid in PVP, while other spells are simply annoying in PVE and PVP, like self-buffing, where the whole group gets ahead of you possibly pulling mobs while you lag behind just because you need to cast some buffs on yourself or your group mates.

These spells need to be changed to be castable on the run:

buffs:
    Bloodletter -- (just annoying to stop for casting and group gets ahead of you)
    Unholy Blessing -- (same, only slows down pulling when you have to stop before each pull for this!)
    Devious Evasion -- (needs increased range from 20m to 30m. people are often too far away and you have to stop again to cast it on somebody)

red single-target spells:
    Malice
    Shadow Coil
    Dreadful Wrath -- just stupid! I can snare somebody, but by the time I stopped and finished casting he's out of range again. what the heck?
    Devour Vitae
    Insidious Whisper
    Mana Sieve
    Essence Syphon
  14. Duele Active Member

Crusaders should be able to cast everything while moving, period. It was an unneeded nerf back in the day when they changed it and has never made sense since. Its just dumb mechanics.
  15. Bchizzle Active Member

It would be cool as long and all crusader spells were set to melee only range, otherwise no.
    Tekadeo and Finora like this.
  16. knine Well-Known Member

oh so this whole problem you have is with PVP then lol... really not many places in PVE where you have to run around and cast...try putting what you truely want up there to begin with instead of making a generalized statement..

if you're healer doens't let you die then bloodletter doens't go off..and the list can go on.. again as a tank you shouldn't even have to be moving that often unless you're pvping.. which this is obviously what this post is about and should be taken to pvp forms
  17. Tayz Member

and you may not be aware that rangers can't cast their ranged ca's while moving either, minus a prestige that allows it for a short period.
    Finora likes this.
  18. Payton Active Member

yes I am aware of that, I am also aware that scouts can simply apply a poison that triggers automaticalls and snares or stuns people :) anyway, if that one spell creates an outrage .---. you can exclude it from the list because of the snare effect.
  19. Estred Well-Known Member

Oh now see there is the very thing that was missed. You are talking PvP. I can say that it is a bit of an issue in BG's but is it more of a range issue or a cast time? Because spellcasters like Wizzy/Conjy/Necro/Lock are able to kill in BG's. I can understand wanting this for PvP but there is still a part of me that wonders, why have Paladins not said anything about this? If it really is a problem for Crusaders why are only the SK's talking?

Also keep in mind PvP has been about as balanced as putting a Sumo Wrestler against a normal human, it just doesn't work. There could be more here balance wise than you think. Would being able to cast those few spells while moving really solve the issue? I think you may find if they had shorter cast times or longer ranges it may be less annoying.

Also if your group is outrunning you in BG; that is their fault for doing so an dying because the tank is in the back.
  20. Duele Active Member

It is not just a PVP issue. There are multiple examples of scripting that require the tank to move while tanking. Its why it should be changed back to how Crusaders were ORIGINALLY designed, which is to be able to cast while moving. The only reason it got changed in the first place was a fear of it being an issue in PvP, an unfair nerf to PVE Crusaders.