SK vs. Pally

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by jcordas, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

I have a 95 Halfling SK and I really love the class. I think Paladin is as strong as SK as a tank, just different. The ONLY reason I haven't betrayed him to Paladin to give it a try: He betrayed from Crusader at level 17 way back in 2005. He's never been a Paladin on the way to SK, and I think that 'story' is unique. I don't want to wreck it - I'd rather level a Paladin from scratch to try the class, but there are only so many hours in a day.

I'd think the advice would be: Try one and if you don't like it or want to see the other, betray, try it and then decide of you want to betray back or not. At minimum, doing the betrayal that many times is good XP and AA.
  2. StaticLex Active Member

I would say probably 3/4 of the time mobs are able to kill me through it.
  3. Priority Well-Known Member

Well, if you're trying to use it to block a magical attack of course they're going to kill you through it. I've yet to have an issue with Stonewall blocking melee attacks while it's up as long as I'm not in reckless.
  4. StaticLex Active Member

If that is what is happening then there are obviously very few mobs without magic attacks, which like I said makes this ability pretty weak imo.
  5. Silzin Active Member

Have you read over what the ability seas it does? Ok i dont have a pally, but i can read what it does.

First line, .... Allows Caster to Block All Melee Attacks.
    2nd line .... Makes Caster Immune to Strickthrough Attacks.
    3rd line .... If Shield equipped in Secondary.

non of them even hint at working on non Melee attacks, and this is just from 2 minutes on EQ2U
  6. StaticLex Active Member

How about you show me where I said it was supposed to block magic attacks. Oh that's right, I didn't.

Rather than mouthing off on an ability from a class that you admit you don't even play, how about read previous posts first and then play the class so you actually know what you're talking about.
  7. Drumstixx Active Member

Then state your complaint. There are a lot of abilities just like that, and they don't block both.

You outright stated 3/4 of the time mobs kill your through it. So either don't understand or you're doing some wrong, and should be using other things to block magic damage.
    Silzin likes this.
  8. Ucala Well-Known Member

I don't know them completely so I can't say 100%, but imo paladin is more defensive, SK is more offensive
  9. Drumstixx Active Member

Paladins are a bit more on the edge of defensive capabilities due to some more constant damage reduction, and the ability to survive in a longer duration fight due to recast of their death save. With high reuse, the SK does have a large damage reduction that can be up almost half the time. The SK will suffer dealing with large damage hits that land too often if the fight isn't a short one.

Remember again however, decent priest duo's can outweigh the flaws of most tank classes... and keep you alive on 90% of fights.

Paladins receive a nice boost of block chance via AA, and SKs get spell lifetapping (Reaver) and some strikethrough.

Both get some nice weapon damage bonus when using sword/shield.

The SK has an edge with snaps, especially with AOE since Chaos Cloud spec will give you a 3-position AOE, snap that can be reset. Top that off again with the use of a Mythical Cloak from PoW, another ~3 minute positional snap. A lot of the time you're gonna be seeing the SK used to do DPS and pick up adds. In that you'll see them going Reckless. In this case, you lose Sneering Assault and Chaos Cloud as an actually snap, and rely on either Rescue or a high reuse Mythical buff snap.

The maintained aggro from a SK comes from several DoTs, with their main Taunt doing threat over time as well. Chaos Cloud also does hefty threat.
    For constant hate, Amends is where the Paladin can better secure a mob of maintained aggro via a DPS character, rather than recovery of a mob via memwipe/shuffle.

Both classes can put out damage, and have AOE capability. The SK hurts the group with Blood Siphon/Bloodletter (less so). The Paladin can spot heal/rez/cure if really needed.

The SK boosts Int and Potency via AA and proc/buffs, along with STA and a few other boosts that can benefit just about anyone, but nothing major.
    The Paladin boosts Wis, Str, mitigation, and I think heal rate/% a bit.

--------------

I'm sure I left some stuff out, but you can see some of their difference and similarities at least.
  10. Argan New Member

What kind of snap aggro does the Paladin get?
  11. Cyrde Member

Sneering Assault - 3 Positions
    Rescue - 3 Positions
    Holy Ground - 1 Position AOE
  12. StaticLex Active Member

I've already complained about it back in the GU 66 threads. Apparently almost no mobs don't have some sort of magic attack, proc, nuke, etc.. because like I said.. I use this ability and continue to take damage/die in most situations, which to me makes this ability largely worthless. If that's how it's intended to be then that's fine, I'll simply stand by my complaint that's it's weak for an endline (potentially 2 endlines even) ability.