Silicate Loam Woes

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Thunndar316, Oct 29, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Terron Guest

I bought 2 Silicate loams yesterday for under 4p - the cheapest I have ever seen them
  2. ARCHIVED-Amphibia Guest

Thunndar316 wrote:
    lol
    I'm sorry, but what facts? Do you really think that one 3.5h harvesting session says something about the ratio?
    Btw.... if you really want 24 loams as fast as possible, you're doing it by the slowest possible method. A quicker way would be to farm mobs, collect shinies etc and buy the loams off the broker with the plat you make from that.
  3. ARCHIVED-Thunndar316 Guest

Amphibia wrote:
    So I should ignore the problem, stick my head in the sand next to yours, and save up 92 platinum to dump on something I should be able to get on my own?
    Genius!
  4. ARCHIVED-Kitsune286 Guest

Just bring back the fungus node and use it for fighter AD3's. *nods*
  5. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

Thunndar316 wrote:
    From the launch of RoK, I was harvesting every day for a few hours each day. It was about a month in before I harvested my first silicate loam in Skyfire for my boyfriend's troub. In that same session, I harvested 3 more. I didn't harvest another one for at least a week and then it was only one until another 3 or 4 days. I never did harvest a full 24 for him. He did get a couple on his own, bought a few, and obtained masters before getting a loam on most of the rest, he might still have one or two he hasn't updated 'cause he doesn't use them.
    So, when should you be "entitled" to have your Easy Button and have 24 silicate loams land in your lap on an expected day and time?
    If you sell of the rares you don't want/need, you can use that towards purchasing, from the broker, the silicates you desire. No, you won't get a 1 to 1 trade for them, but that's because PLAYERS decide to mark them up to higher price.
    I have seen several times many pages of silicate loams priced higher tynonium and fire emeralds even when there are only a couple people selling either. If it was truly supply and demand, then the higher supply of silicates would have been priced cheaper. But, PLAYERS deem the silicates worth more and so will price them higher no matter how many other people are selling them.
    But, EXPECTING to get a certain number of specific rare havests by a set number of days/hours of harvesting is ludicrous. You ARE harvesting rares, thus the RNG is giving you rare harvests. You're not harvesting the exact one you want, thus the RNG is not favouring you for -that-.
  6. ARCHIVED-Elorah Guest

The demand is higher for silicates then incarnadine. The t8 Quest rewards are almost as good if not better then what the armorers/weaponsmiths can make with the incarnadine.... so it sells cheaper. The Silicates are desired by more people as there is no comparison... the adept I are no where close enough and the masters are in general Extremely pricey....
    This is the issue.. On my server... Fire emeralds go for 90 gp - 1pp 20 usually... Tynnonium is usually about 2 pp... Silicates are 3-4 pp. Incarnadine is quite cheap as many do not use it thanks to the quest rewards given in RoK...
  7. ARCHIVED-surepaw Guest

First, all scouts and fighters go through the same thing. I harvested all my silicate loam for my toon. Yes it was time consuming, yes it took a while, but that is part of it.
    I do think it is wrong to have the same rare for both scouts and fighters. I think a different rare should be used for each major branch, i.e. scout, fighter, healer, mage.
    As far as using incarnate cluster for that rare, I would have to disagree. maybe using a rare root perhaps, or just inventing a new rare.
    But all rares should be hard to find, hince the name rare. The main reason Silicate loam is so expensive is because it is highly soght after, you have 2 of the main 4 class trees needing it for adept 3's. Making it to where each major class tree uses a different rare would bring the price down for each adept rare to about the same, if it were averaged over time.
    In a since I am with the OP on this, and in a since I am not. making any rare more accesible is not the way to do it, making another, cheaper rare able to use for both fighter and scout classes is not the way to go either.
    Silicate Loam is mainly used for adept 3 only, while the gem stone rares are used for adept 3's and jewelery. This was suppose to even things out, hince why casters have 2 different rares and fighter and scout share one. But Adept 3's have always been more the preference to go after then jewlery in end game, especially in RoK, where many quests give better jewelery then the MC stuff. But masters drop much more rare then the silicate loam. When you throw a curve ball like that the price will sky rocket.

just my 2cp.
  8. ARCHIVED-Amphibia Guest

Thunndar316 wrote:
    Whatever.
    Clearly, you prefer posting here over and over rather than trying to fix your own "problem". You can of course harvest 24 loams on your own, but it WILL TAKE TIME. It would take a long time with any other rare too. Unless silicate loams actually are more rare than emerald clusters and tynnonium (I doubt it), there is no reason to believe it takes longer to harvest 24 silicate loams than 24 tynnonium clusters or emeralds.
    At the same time, insisting on harvesting EVERYTHING on your own, is making it harder on yourself than necessary. But if that's what you prefer, be my guest.
    And as I said before, using incarnadine as an adept 3-rare is a bad solution because the situation changes to the exact opposite as soon as the level cap is raised. Xegonite, ebon, and feysteel clusters all sell for 1-2 pp each on my server, while rare loams in those tiers sell for only 15-50g. Can you now see why it would be a bad idea to use the rare metal for adept 3's? The prices would skyrocket, and these rares (unlike loam) are used for many other purposes already.
  9. ARCHIVED-livejazz Guest

Amphibia wrote:
    First off, I'm a harvest hound; it's how I make most of my money. I enjoy spending tons of time harvesting.
    Having said that: in my experience, silicate loams are easily the rarest of the T8s.
    I'm not calling for changes. I'm just calling it as I see it.
  10. ARCHIVED-Thunndar316 Guest

Rijacki wrote:
    Oh lord.
    Take that easy button crap and shove it. I never asked for an easy button. I just want a decent reward for my time spent playing this GAME and getting zero, nothing accomplished in a few hours playtime is not my idea of fun.
  11. ARCHIVED-Anordil Guest

Thunndar316 wrote:
    Heh.
    You haven't accomplished *nothing*. You've amassed however many common materials that you can then either flog on the market or donate to your guild harvesting depot if you have one.
    Yes, silicate loams are hard to find. They're rare, after all. They're also in high demand for combat art and spell upgrades. If you think your time would be better spent questing, raiding, or whatever, then do so and earn the money to pay for the loams off the broker.
    Frankly, I think that the rares are *too* easily found - with everyone and their dog running about with adept 3 upgrades, it completely eliminates all use for the bazillion App IVs that clog the books of sages, jewelers, and alchemists. I haven't crafted an apprentice IV spell/combat art for anything other than doing rush orders in goodness only knows how long.
  12. ARCHIVED-GrunEQ Guest

There is a real need for fighers and scouts to have their arts based on differnt rares. I have harvested for ages and have found that silicate is extremely hard to come by (as in almost never) as well as tynnonium. I, too, find that the rares at this tier are much harder to come by, and yes, I have the tinkered tools, the earring, and capped harvesting/tradeskills. I feel your pain. Not asking for the much referred to easy button, but I think the rate of rares do need to be increased.
  13. ARCHIVED-Ohiv Guest

Anordil@Lucan DLere wrote:
    With ME personally I run with AP4 spells on all pre T8 stuff (maybe a few key spells upgraded to AD3) then when I hit T8 is when I do the AD3 run. Although to be honest my monk and my dirg when they hit T8 I will probably just equip them in AP4's and then make AD3's as I aquire plat from quests/aquire rares.
    To the OP, yea I'm on everfrost, the situation is the same really reguardless of the server. The choice comes down to how do you want to get to what you want. You could just spend all of your time harvesting for the rares you seek, selling off whatever you don't need along the way. You could go out questing and taking some of that plat you made and buy rares (yes you make a LOT of plat leveling up enough to buy your ad3's by the time you hit 80). Heck there are other ways to make money just check out the newbie forum there is a post speecifically on how to make money it applies at level 1 just as it applys at level 80. So really the choice is yours on how you wish to tackle this problem.
  14. ARCHIVED-Felshades Guest

i still think its stupid to have mulitple rares for spells for each class considering the discrepancy between them.

i, however, tend to have loams coming out of my horse's behind, and as such, have started offering 1:1 trades for tynnonium, which is rare as crap for me.

try that. mages might be more than willing to get rid of those loams they dont use.
  15. ARCHIVED-CorpseGoddess Guest

Spyderbite@Venekor wrote:
    What about somebody who harvests regularly and *never* bathes in silicates? Since RoK dropped, on a regular basis, I get maybe 1-2 silicates compared to between 6 and 10 of the others.
    This is in a year. There's ALWAYS a "dry spell" for silicates, imo, which is what I think the OP was referencing.
  16. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

Thunndar316 wrote:
    Then quit harvesting and go do something you enjoy to raise the plat to buy the loams. What you seem to be saying over and over is "Give me the loams easy because I want to do other things and be more powerful while I do them, but I am unwilling to invest either my time or my effort into getting that result."
    I think I mentioned this in a recent thread, but if not... T7 shinies are selling for pretty high prices and -- if you are a T8 player -- are easy to get. To raise money for our guildhall, I spent several days harvesting in Kingdom of Sky zones and grabbing shinies, then sold everything and made a lot of plat doing so. You don't like the shiny ratio in T7? Go to Shimmering Citadel and harvest shinies in the gardens and sell those. Or heck, go harvest butterflies in Oakmyst Forest. They sell for decently high prices too.
    Another way to approach this is to abandon the whole Adept 3 effort and get thyself to T8 instances and hunt masters. When you win masters, trade those for the ones you need and avoid the whole AD3 thing altogether. Or sell masters and use that to buy your loams.
  17. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

I checked the prices on AB last night for tier 8 spell rares.
    Fire Emeralds were running at slightly less than 1p each.
    Tynnonium Clusters were at slightly above 2p each.
    Silicate Loam was running just under 4p.
    So, the happy scouts and fighters of AB get to pay a class tax of 2.5p per adept 3 vs the other 2 archatypes. Yay?
    If there was a way to use all 3 spell raws to make any spell (at a slight penalty for using the wrong rare) that would even out the cost so that one class isn't be unfairly penalized for being popular. While this might hurt the priests a bit, overall I think it would help everybody. The logical long term effect would be that loam would become your perfered spell component but it wouldn't be priced that much more cheaply than either soft metal or stone.
    At least that is the nutshell argument for making ink recipes available to all of the scholar classes. Heck, make them available to everybody. I don't think you'd find any sages/jewelers/alchemists complaining.
  18. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

Lasai wrote:
    Uh, no, it isn't. Snipping to only show the point you are responding to is actually more polite than making everyone wade through unrelated stuff. Particularly stuff they can scroll back up and read in context if they wish.
    I was specifically answering your point... Let me post it back AGAIN with it more specifically highlighted for those who didn't follow my argument initially.
    Lasai wrote:
    Di'Zok Emblazoned plate IS made of incarnadine and sells like hotcakes for at least one plat per piece. So your argument that low-price incarnadine is wrecking the sales prices for "anything made of incarnadine" is incorrect. The breastplates -- made with a chromatic essence -- usually sell around 2 plat on my server, and if someone wants a spiffy set of level 77 red-and-gold plate, they buy the whole darned set from me... including the six pieces each requiring one incarnadine.
    If you think sales are in the [sanitation device] now, I will point to a while back when the rare drop rate for all tiers was really boosted up. When that happened, the sales price of ALL mastercrafted goods plunged, because when you make rares cheap and easy to get it devalues everything made from those rares. Domino adjusted the rare rate back down after a bit of that, thankfully.
  19. ARCHIVED-tikasa Guest

NDA is lifted. Look for alot more to show up with the AA to have a double chance to harvest, and with the extra tradeskill items affecting harvesting ( like the earring ) increasing the chance for rares, alot of rares should be found soon.
  20. ARCHIVED-Kulssin Guest

Thunndar316 wrote:
    Perhaps you should look past your luck, and not question her ego? There are those of us who harvest daily, 8 hours a day, who have seen dry spells when it comes to rares lasting longer than a month.
    Back off a bit... a week is nothing. If you expect more then you are playing the wrong game.