Shiny Gating.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by ShinyAddict, Feb 18, 2017.

1. ShinyAddict New Member

What is with the gating on shinnies this expansion? Some are beyond ridiculously rare.
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

What do you mean by gating on shinies?

There have always been some shinies that are much rare then others...

In the past there have been shiny SETS that are 'gated' behind other shiny sets, but I don't recall there ever being something special to get the 'rare' shinies apart from sacrifices to the god of RNG.
  3. ShinyAddict New Member

Gating as in some shinies being as rare as ethereal runes, and sells for more than a million plats.
  4. Mermut Well-Known Member

Gating implies there is a 'gate' that can be unlocked with a 'key'. RNG is not a gate.. it's fickle, capricious and cruel phantom :p
    Dude, GrunEQ, Mensa and 2 others like this.
  5. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Just sacrifice more RaNGers to the RNG gods. That's what I do. Its not like we will really miss them anyways *giggles from the shadows* Besides, its a tradition in raids, after all!
  6. Praetorian Well-Known Member

I do have to agree devs. I have been doing heroic runs pretty much every day... and i personally have yet to see a rare collectible piece in a group i have been in. It is my opinion that there needs to be some tweaking done with the rare shinys. I mean 4 months and not seeing ONE on my own is just crazy.
  7. DamnataAnimus Active Member

I've sold plenty since the xpac came out, enough to sub 6 accounts for 2 years with krono bought with plat. 80 million plat going on ab server's prices (600k plat each). I'd like to thank the devs myself lol.

I do box a group so I get all the shinies though (unless I bring someone along but still it's just 2 people rolling, myself and the other as I don't roll for every character i use just one. Maybe make friends with a boxer and ask them to run stuff with them so you don't have 6 people rolling for them.
  8. Praetorian Well-Known Member

4 months since expac release, doing dailies and all that.. and not one seen. My entire journal is left with only the rares. But still, 4 months and never getting one to appear in a zone? The only rares i've had were from the broker and that's not a positive thing imo..
    Malleria likes this.
  9. semisus Does not play this game

i run heroics pretty much each days and i do see the rare shinys , winning em is another matter ;)
  10. wiouxev2 Active Member

I usually dont jump on the "too rare" train but there is quite a significant difference in rarity this expansion for shineys. Many of them haven't been on broker for less than 5 million a piece
    DoomDrake and Malleria like this.
  11. ShinyAddict New Member

It's a metaphor. There are many roads one can choose to reach their destination. Rather than giving us the choice, we're instead forced to go through the gate of the nine hells!

Also, it's not RNG when your depot is literally filled with 30+ of other shines from the same group and not a single rare shiny in sight, it's a pattern.
  12. Mermut Well-Known Member

It is RNG. There is nothing about RNG that implies all outcomes are equally weighted.
  13. Arieva Well-Known Member

Rare shinies are a horrible idea in heroics..just fosters needing to sell....
  14. Kahonen Active Member

So many people complaining about rare shinies being rare. You don't think maybe the clue is in the description?
    Dude likes this.
  15. ShinyAddict New Member

You're right that RNG doesn't implies equal outcome, but they should be. With RNG, the outcome should be equal after a large sample. When the result is incredibly lopsided, then it's a pattern. IE devs purposely lowered the drop rate of certain shinies to force people to run heroics over and over again until one drops.
  16. ShinyAddict New Member

Let me ask you this, what is the point of making most shinies common and few so rare? Most people probably almost completed their collection by now except for these few ultra rare shinies. If the devs wanted to limit the amount of meta reward from coming into the game, why not just reduce amount of shinies given per dungeon run rather than gating it through few ultra rare shinies?
  17. DamnataAnimus Active Member

So you play (and hopefully pay) for longer. That and buy krono to sell to buy the rares. If you hadn't noticed eq2 is very close to p2w status. For example ascension spells crafting mats being super rare (and adept level being non existant) so unless you plan to wait a year for research (for just 1 class) your only option is to buy the upgrades with dbc (70$ per skill roughly from apprentice to grandmaster) per skill (total if you do 8 skills per class is 560$) so around 2.2k for 4 classes.

Are we having fun yet? :p
  18. ShinyAddict New Member

Hey! Stop answering logically for others! They need to be able to come up with their own conclusion! But you get a sticker for hitting it square right in the head lol.
  19. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Yes, but not so much in EQ2 anymore...
    DamnataAnimus likes this.
  20. Azian Well-Known Member

The problem is supply. A) 6 hour lockouts and B) no flopping by brawlers since they are gated behind named mobs. The market belongs exclusively to boxers.
    wiouxev2 likes this.