Shader 3.0 before & After

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Pitt Hammerfist, May 25, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Pitt Hammerfist Guest

Post your screenies here:
    Nice changes btw, good job imago
    Before:
    [IMG]

After:
    [IMG]
  2. ARCHIVED-foxspirit Guest

I like it, I just dont like 3.0 on the characters... it makes them look like they had a sharpening filter used on them too much. I wish I could turn it off for characters. >.>
  3. ARCHIVED-shadowscale Guest

it looks nice, but i crash alot if i have it running... is sad...
  4. ARCHIVED-Lantis Guest

Some items will need more adjustments, because they look much worse under Shaders 3.0 than 1.0. For instance, take the conjuror relic set (from T7), or the Festive Gigglegibber Cloak I'm wearing for apperance:

Shaders 1.0:
    [IMG]

Shaders 3.0:

[IMG]

The relic set look as if I had just been dragged through Freeport's sewers (no matter from what angle and under which lighting I looked at it), while the cloak look as if someone had a 1000W spotlight aimed at it. Both looked much better in their 1.0 version IMHO.
    My system has an ATI HD4850 video card, using the April or May release of the Catalyst drivers. (was also disappointed to discover that even a card from last year yeld a loss of 25 FPS, from 50-60 down to 25-30 fps while in Moon Hamlet, but that's a different story - that, and the 20-30 secs delay when alt-tabbing in or out of game).
  5. ARCHIVED-covic Guest

Im running around in Shader 3.0 my card is kinda old so no matter which shader I use it gets kinda slow. I will say the environments look awesome. There may be some things we need to check with the characters.
  6. ARCHIVED-Morghus Guest

There most certainly are some odd issues with characters and equipment. A variety of the 'new style' robes have a strange issue where only half of the robe, typically the upper half appears correct while the bottom half is either too dark or too bright and looks wrong.
    The lighting in many indoor areas also appear rather weird or far too dark. Trakanon's Lair in vp for example is way too dark, and Trakanon himself appears almost black rather than blue. Many darker scale patterns on iksar and Sarnak are also way too dark/shiny looking.
    Certain particle effects are also messed up such as the arm of mithaniel/erollisi and other similar items appear solid instead of translucent.
  7. ARCHIVED-Kain-UK Guest

When I tried this out on test, it completely changed how my character looked for eye colour, skin tone and hair colour.
    I also lost a LOT of FPS, which considering I have a 4ghz overclocked Core i7 and a Radeon 5870 I really, really didn't expect.
    Figured making the GFX card do more work over the CPU would make me break even on the FPS front.
  8. ARCHIVED-Andrewvdk Guest

I was excited for shader 3.0.. until it went live. Game froze and Crashed soon as Id cast a spell. The Guildhall was almost completely black (even while standing near light sources) most of my toons armor was completely darkened to almost black.
    Back to shader 1.0 and I'm happy again.
  9. ARCHIVED-ZerkerDwarf Guest

Hmmm.
    With shader 3.0 everything looks like skin have been in water for too long.
    And all plate/chain armor looks like dyed in oil.
  10. ARCHIVED-Ldarax Guest

My Fae's skin is way to dark with shader 3 and my client also crashes when i log out instead of just stoping.
    And as some have mentioned earlyer aloot of armor get a different color in 3.0 then 1.0.

My system is:
    c2d at 3.6GHz
    8GB of mem
    AMD 4890 1 GB
    If that helps.
  11. ARCHIVED-MrWolfie Guest

Before:
    [IMG]

After:
    [IMG]
    So....dark! All the NPCs are glowing like crazy, but everything else is pitch black.
    Maybe it's just that this place doesn't have much light, let's go outside into the sunshine of the day:
    Before:
    [IMG]
    After:
    [IMG]

Nope, it's still too dark and can you tell how many NPCs are standing there? - it's difficult to tell... I can clearly see two of them in the Shader 1.0 version.
    Oh well, at least there's an option to turn it back...
  12. ARCHIVED-kelesia Guest

ive got a 9800 gtx and shader 3 looks awful. i was in new halas and had awful black spots where I couldn't climb. Kinda weird but neat at the same time. I turned it off eventually and restarted. it probably is my old card, but i just couldn't handle it. i like seeing the screenshots though.
  13. ARCHIVED-Detor Guest

Yeah, Shader 3 is prettier, I'm leaving it on for right now. I have seen a few glitches though:
    T3 Qeynos Guild Hall - floor is black.
    Fiery Magician lvl75 master - pet is emitting black boxes around him.
    Royal Palace of Erudin - can't see anything due to to darkness.
    Vigilant Instances - pitch black. You only see the glowing parts of the floating containers upon zoning into Incursion.
  14. ARCHIVED-xochipili Guest

WOWOWOWOWOW thats what i have to say LOL
    its GEORGEOUS the shader 3.0
    grats imago quem...the game now has a serious fantasy lookin into it... less childish lookin if u guys can get what i mean...
    now i can look for dark elfs and see them tastin orgies.. i look for fairies and i see them lamentin the cataclysm, i look for iksars and i see the blood droppin out their mounths... i look for elfs and i can see their ego inflated apparence... haha
    realy realy nice... the game got more shiny and the colours more alive.... and even then more darkish.. ( i dont mean the BLACK COLOUR that people are havin problems...but darkish in FEELING )
    anyway.... tech infos....: if u activate shader 3.0 make sure u have minimum ambient light SET to 100 per cent or the screen will be black and u wont see things coRRECtly..( lot of people i talked bout are stopin at this step, they enable the shader 3.0 then they see the screen all black and says : ( OW SHADER 3.0 SUX .. its bugged coz the screen s all blacked) no , u are wrong..its not bugged.. u just have to not be lazy and set the minimum ambient light to 100 , .and also make sure the AAs feature from the graphics card are turned OFF.... i read in forum its better that way... and it indeed made a diffence...
    my computer aint the best... i have a quadcore 2.3 ghz with 4 g of ram.... geeforce 9600 xfx .. everquest in a separete HD 7200 rpm and windows 7 64 bits.... with the windows twicked for performance ( services.msc and some other stuffs )
    my FPS without shader 3.0 varies beetween 60 to 20.... dependin of the zone... with shader 3.0 if i loose some FPS it s around - 5 less....
    problems i ve seen :
    till now kelethin was the worse place for the FPS ... ( worse than nek forest from before ( tho nek forest s real real nice now... it aint gettin stucked coz of the flora ))
    if i try to change the game from full screen to windowed mode it crashes the game....
    i was rollin in city of mist in kunzar jungle and if the camera gets too further . the other chars in group and mobs would get transparent...i think it was something bout the shadow.... the shadow would turn them transparent..but only if camera was too further..
    if i get any other problem i feedback here...
    im amazed...
  15. ARCHIVED-illaria Guest

I will post some screenshots when/if I can but I turned off the new shader for several reasons last night
    MY angel wings from shard of love now look dingy and grey
    I wear the pretty maroon and gold dirge helm from the Kingdom of sky vaults zone in my appearance slot but with shader 3.0 the entire helm now looks a dirty mustardy yellow
    My fae suddenly became much darker and her only noticable feature was her lime green hair.
    I have a new laptop that plays the game really well so I was disapointed in the way my toons turned out with shader 3.0 on. I was hanging out in the guild hall with shader 3.0 turned on so I may try it out when I am out adventuring in the world and see if I like it any better.
  16. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

The majority of zones I went to looked like crap. Most appeared to be in a worse state than most early beta's I've been in.
    Some zones had large blackouts in them. I experienced more client crashes than early beta testing Vanguard.
    Running 280 GTX with proper drivers.
    All in all, I think this was a giant fail.
  17. ARCHIVED-Loendar Guest

Atan@Unrest wrote:
    Odd - I'm running dual 280 GTX (in SLI despite it not being supported by EQ2) w/ the current drivers and everything looks considerably better with the Shader 3.0 enabled AND I've not had a single crash. Everything is certainly darker than it used to be but I adjusted the various gamma, contrast and brightness controls to get it back to what I like.
    It's just possible that the fail here isn't with the game and more something to do with your setup.
  18. ARCHIVED-Warpax Guest

i like the look overall very much. Although i did find over al my character that several pieces of armor/cloaks turned a completely different colo using 3.0.
    The Enviros are a tad to dark as well
  19. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

Loendar@Unrest wrote:
    Certain zones looked great, others were unplayable.
    I can play other titles fine with advanced shaders, just not this one in specific zones. Guild hall was by far the most crashtastic.
  20. ARCHIVED-donilla Guest

The new shader pretty much locked my computer after 5 or 10 minutes, without fail. So I won't be using it. Did make some observations.
    Like everyone else, I think it skews way too dark. All the light gets sucked out of the environment and changing the ambient light options didn't fix it. I'm sure it's hard to walk the line between detail which darkens vs old style which can easily bleed out too light, but it needs to be looked at.
    My biggest issue was with all things colored white. My hair, my horse, all went from white base color to become the secondary color. White hair with dark grey secondary coloring became completely black with dark grey secondary coloring. I choose white for a reason, and black won't cut it.
    THe white cloud horse with green saddle became a completely green horse. I want a horse to ride, not a cartoon.
    The grass in Antonica took on a very 'glassy' look which I found odd.
    But the blacks were AMAZING. I've alway hated the fact that black was always grey instead. Now my black pants and gloves were truely black, even with the textures and I loved it.
    But I'm guessing that is part of the problem I'm having with the whites. A problem with texturing and secondary colors bleeding over to the whole item in some way.