Server populations

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Puakk, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Puakk New Member

Is anything being done about server populations whether merging servers or making it possible for cross server play? I am new to EQ2 and recently attempted to start toons on multiple different servers with all yielding around 4 to 22 players at 8pm PST using the /who all function. Needless to say on 2 of the servers you couldn't even put a full group together. I finally ended up picking the highest population server I could find, Antonia Bayle, which had 48 players on.

Sorry for the feedback but it was very disheartening to see the state of the game.
  2. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

There are a few parts to this; (I'm ignoring TLE for this)

1) Your time zones. If you're on EU time zones, then you need Thurgadin basically.
    2) Riverdale is a dead server. It's due to be merged at some later date.
    3) Isle of Refuge is very niche, and has a limited population (But everything is basically tradeable).
    4) Antonia Bayle is the Roleplay server, so a large amount of their population is for that.

Skyfire/HoF/Maj'Dul are pretty well populated in US times.
    Thurgadin is very well populated EU times.
  3. Muffincookie Active Member

Would you say EU is more populated than US?
  4. Komatus Well-Known Member

From everything that I have heard, Maj'Dul is the largest.
  5. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

For people playing EU time zones, yes 100%.
  6. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Antonica Bayle used to be the most populated server and the only original server that still exists .
    When all other servers where consolidated down to 4 servers AB was the only server untouched .
    Free transvers where given to people who did not want to go to the designated new server , but none where given to AB.
    So when people on AB who had friend on other servers saw their chance to move to them began to complain , Baubles were also granted to AB ( bad mistake ) a lot of people moved to Maj" Dul that is why today AB has a much lower population than they used to have and Maj"Dul is now the best populated server .
    But like Errrorr said if you play on European time go to Thurgadin.

You also have the option to join the TLE server where the time zone you live in matters little .
    Breanna likes this.
  7. Hordemaster New Member

That is pretty interesting. I have just returned and had made a character on AB and also on another sever, but have now rolled one on Maj'' Dul to see if I can join some groups
  8. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Good luck Hordemaster
  9. Trilly Active Member

I have been with AB server my whole 17 years of EQ2 life (with a 4 year break til about 6 months ago). It says "role play" always has..but that is totally optional and rarely seen out and about in the world of Norrath itself. There are many times I see transfer people from other servers because of their population's approach to life and inter actions. I firmly believe AB has the most helpful, good hearted and dedicated players available. I also am in Pacific NW time zone. Always some on but the game has pretty much phased out of small groupings unless doing expert dungeons or you happen to be in a guild of like minded and level players. I solo most of the time, always have. Have 16 current characters, most who are ROS level. My original guild is down to very few active players so while continuing to keep it active, I have spread a few of mine to another very active, raid and heroics ready guild to branch out my skills. It is not the number of people who make a good server. It is the quality of the people on that server...and I believe AB is the BEST. :)
  10. Malachy Well-Known Member

IMO they'd be better off making a new server, giving a free bauble to transfer to it, petition to move guild for guild leaders, and merge all the remaining traditional US servers into one. 99.9% of players are gone and never coming back, it's a waste of resources to deal with the clutter of their information, but at least it'd still be there for those that return or prefer a dead server.

Population is extremely low on all servers compared to other games and historically.
  11. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

It's always like that this time of year. The xpac is kinda done, or very nearly done for most guilds. I expect the beta will be busier than current populations would suggest.
    Hartay, Xianthia and Breanna like this.
  12. Grandavi Active Member

I agree with this 100%
  13. Darkzero Member

merging the US and EU servers would be a good idea/necessary, it would bring people at all hours of the day. it would be easier to find a group in a pickup... only advantages imo
    Arclite likes this.
  14. Arclite Well-Known Member

Some sort of a merge would be needed. Even on Thurgadin, it is hard to find experienced (or even players who are good at their class) for guild recruitment. Not sure how the US/Europe server merge would work out given that the European server has a whole host of connectivity issues as of late and the ping is kind of important when the fight scripts are as reliable as the winter Olympics...
  15. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

16. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

I don't think Thurgadin has any specific issues with connectivity, maybe for players in the US? You're right that recruitment has become nigh-on impossible though. Not that it matters anymore as we now get a piece of raid loot every 20 hours, we don't even need to raid anymore, just log in once per day and run enough weeklies so you don't run out of coins.
    Arclite likes this.