Server Consolidation - Layout Editor Note

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by JesDyr, Aug 31, 2015.

1. JesDyr Well-Known Member

I want to point out some likely issue with the upcoming server consolidation and Layouts. I am not really sure how many people will actually be effected by any of this since I honestly have no idea how most people actually use the layout editor and Antonia Bayle should not be effected.

Each house Item's UID (Unique Identifier) will almost certainly be changed during the consolidation.

What Does this mean?
    The layout editor uses UIDs for notes and group data. So when you load a newly saved layout, it will be unable to match up the old groups and notes (if you have that option enabled).

Anything else?
    It is possible that some old load layout bugs (EQ2 itself not the Editor) will be back when loading layouts saved before the consolidation. These bugs include duplicate items being placed in the same spot or items being moved to another location. I would be cautious of doing anything but loading an entire zone's layout. Layouts saved after the consolidation will behave just like they do now, so this is a minor issue.
  2. suka Well-Known Member

jesdyr that is already going on. with the game not the editor. when i load a house, it takes stuff out of the house and puts them in the crate first.

in the case of the guild hall, someone who left the game left stuff in the hall. i put them in the crate for safe keeping because they were no trade. i also had actors with names and positions on my layout. the layout editor reported each item correctly. the load layout command ingame ignored everything. i had to send the person their stuff back and hope she comes back to the game to get it to avoid having her stuff in my office and my stuff in the crate. i had to then delete her items from the layout editor.

and my actors are a mess. i know where they each belong. the load layout is ignoring the names and bouncing them everywhere. so i have to go put them where they belong. this was a huge mess in the museum because every time i accidentally moved anything and used load to put it back, it moved my actors all around. i had to do the entire layout first and then come place the actors so i could keep them where they belonged and now if i were to have to reload the layout i would be in horrendous trouble that could take days to straighten out.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Oldpoint Well-Known Member

Seem it is a solution that "/save_layout" in the EQ2 game once the consolidation done (totally disregard the previous file)
    In addition, for safe, I wonder if we also have to turn off the "auto import group data" option and just create the groups in the new file one by one.
    I love and use layout editor very much. Many thanks~
  4. suka Well-Known Member

i had a layout that for some reason refused to work tonight. the solution was simple. i opened it with the layout editor and saved it to a new name. then it opened beautifully. not sure why it wouldn't open but i am wondering it that could be a solution after the consolidation
  5. JesDyr Well-Known Member

Delete the crated items out of the layout?

UIDs are unique but only semi persistent. They can change if you pick up the item and place it back down. I believe they are a Primary Key on a database table that contains zone objects. When the item is removed from that table by putting it in your inventory, the record is deleted. When you place the item back down, a new record is inserted which gets a new UID.

If you had picked up and replaced the actors since the layout was saved, the UID will be different and the server will likely mix them up.
  6. suka Well-Known Member

yes but it works like a spreadsheet. if you don't want something in one but can't resave the layout because you need it to rebuild a hall, you simply find the exact item you are sending back to the person or removing from the crate, highlight that row and hit delete. then hit apply edit and save all. voila- item removed from database and will no longer send other items in its place. you might not have intended it to work that way but it does and i am so very glad it does.
  7. suka Well-Known Member

and i wasn't picking them up and putting them back down. it kept sending the other person's identical items but owned by her to my office and putting my items in the crate. so when i sent her items back to her., my office was empty because it fills the crate first. so i had to make sure i deleted her items from the database so i could get my office restored
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yikes! Hopefully, the in-game nonsense that's getting inflicted on users (bad game! No cookie!) will be solved, or at least mitigated, by The Consolidation to new hardware, as well as new servers...the AB folks might still be out of luck, but at least once the servers have settled, and now that Domino's back (YAY!), the Powers might have some breathing time to look into the house issues. :-/

How will this affect the files saved/modified through the use of the Notepad Method? One advantage of no-frills, perhaps; haven't had anything like that happen yet in mine (knock on wood-finish plastic material)...

Uwk
    who actually does have Actors now, here and there... :-/
  9. suka Well-Known Member

this wasn't caused by the layout editor. it was caused by the game itself. i never had any problems with the layout editor
    Kelvani and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, the "in-game nonsense" was from the game...sorry if I gave the wrong impression! :)

Which is why I was a bit concerned about it; if it wasn't the Layout Editor (which I don't use), if it's a glitch caused by the game, it might still have an effect on the files themselves, which can also be accessed by the Notepad Method. :-/

Uwk
  11. Gracey Well-Known Member

Thanks Jes for the heads up. You are the best.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and suka like this.