Secret Character

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Feara, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Feara Well-Known Member

Hello there righteous players :cool:

Just curious... do you have a secret character that no one knows about but you and if so, how long and why?
    Avahlynn and aspekx like this.
  2. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

I've almost always had them. Unguilded toons that just putter along.

Started back in EQ when I was made an officer on my first ever toon. I soon made an alt to escape guild drama.
    Moonpanther, Avahlynn, aspekx and 2 others like this.
  3. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

I should add that I didn't even need a guild to create drama.

I'll never forget the time a friend sent me a tell...could you make a new alt? I just got into a fight with a GM and could you hold my gear in case he bans me and I have to roll a new account? This was around 2001 when most gear was tradeable, did not bind, and could be equipped at any level. I rolled a warrior like he was, and by the time the dust settled later that day I was already something like level 12...dang but high level gear on a low level toon was NICE! hehe.
  4. Feara Well-Known Member

Same reason here Dulcenia.

The funny thing is the first few times after awhile I would blow my cover by sending a tell to someone not even thinking :rolleyes:. Dah! lol - that was years ago.

I have one now that is really undercover. I like it.
  5. Luperza Community Manager

Interesting question.

I do for sure. I have a couple public characters that I play when I'm livestreaming, but the others are all private, so I can play with close friends and not have to deal with questions, etc. :)
    aspekx likes this.
  6. aspekx Well-Known Member

i think if you're at all active in a community it's nice to have a 'vacation toon'.
  7. Talaen Member

I've done this a few times over the years, but I have a big mouth and always end up outing myself :(

Right now I don't have any *secret* characters, but I have so many alts no one can ever remember them all anyway :p
    ColbyJack likes this.
  8. Finora Well-Known Member

I've had a couple over the years, though they almost always end up guilded. I can't say that they are known though for sure because like the above poster I have so many alts that I have trouble keeping up with them without a spreadsheet lol, so I doubt anyone else can unless I have them labeled in the guild window =).
  9. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Not here, but I usually do. It's nice to have some quiet and peace!
  10. Atan Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Being a guild leader of a very large guild, there are times I just want to fiddle around in game and not be called upon by others. Don't get me wrong, the majority of the time I'm perfectly happy with being the leader type person ready to help with whatever people need, but there are times I just want some quiet 'me' time.
  11. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Every single one of my characters is secret :eek: I am so quiet, I don't even think my guild knows I exist lmao.

I will change that when I return though, so I am sure a secret character will be in the making. Sometimes I just like peace and quiet.
  12. Silvr Member

Absolutely not. Having somewhere to hide means that I have something to hide from. All of my characters can be found on permafrost via the /who all Silvr command.

Silvr 95 Dirge/95 Armorer
    Drksilvr 95 Shadowknight/95 Alchy
    Silvrblade 95 Brigand/95 Weapsmith
    Silvrspoon 95 Defiler/95 Provisioner
    Silvrbells 95 Troub/95 Woodworker
    Hihosilvr 95 Inq/95 Carpenter
    Silvrthread 95 Coercer/95 Tailor
    Silvrsage 92 Conj/95 Sage
    Silvrgem 85 'Sin/95 Jeweler
    Silvrfrog 95 Warden
    Silvrsheild 95 Guardian
    Silvrrat Mid50s Warlock

I do understand why the Devs and SoE employees have public and private toons. Rarely do I feel the need to "hide" from anyone, if i do the /afk command usually works wonders.
  13. Deago Well-Known Member

If you have a secret character Gnomeland Security has your obnoxious troll paladin under watch...

:p
    Belenos and Wirewhisker like this.
  14. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone meant they hide from people they dread, just that some days you may be back and forth or afk a bunch, or maybe you can't focus fully or have a cold and feel like you just need some quiet "me" time. I had this when I was a mod on a board, it kept the constant in game pm's from interrupting when I just wanted an hour or two of play time and I was off the clock. The /afk command does not work so well if they see you running through Freeport or Qeynos lol.
    Finora likes this.
  15. Finora Well-Known Member

Back when my guild was quite active and raiding (and I was one of the leaders as well as one of the highly prized healers lol) sometimes I really really needed a break, even from chat. But I would still want to play, because EQ2 can be quite relaxing. It's not such a big deal these days but I totally understand why people would do it.

Wanting a break is no crime nor is there anything seedy in feeling the need to occassionally.
  16. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

I have secret characters, and the added bonus that none of them follow any sort of naming or racial pattern.
    I do have the downside that a lot of the times, my personality and manner of talking will give me away. So if I'm on a secret alt, I have to keep things super toned down.

It's a nice way to escape when I don't want to be bothered with tells, or making small talk, and just want to hang out by myself and go bum around at a snail's pace, usually re-exploring old content.
    Finora and Dulcenia like this.
  17. Lucus Well-Known Member

I don't have secret characters myself. whenever i want a little space on my own i just log in, don't use guildchat or in any way give away my presence if possible and hope nobody sees me online. It works for a bit till i feel a little social or someone notices i am online. Then i will decide ether to chat for a bit then log out or chat for a bit and keep playing.
  18. Atan Well-Known Member

More often than not, for me its so I can peacefully play with my family without being tasked with other requests / responsibilities.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  19. Deveryn Well-Known Member

My alts aren't really a secret. I just haven't bothered to link together my alt info online. (It's easy to figure out in my guild listing anyway :p) A few people will know they're associated with Deveryn if I craft for them on an alt. I always refer to him as a contact for future needs. If anyone visits my crafter hall, they'll know who does what. I can't say that I have ever kept anyone a secret in any game.
  20. Feara Well-Known Member

I think all good guild leaders must think this way, I know my brother does. It amazes me that he never really gets tired of helping others, I really don't know how he gets anything done. This is why I would never want to be a guild leader, I'm to selfish with my time.