Sea Travel!

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

[IMG]

Whatever happened to the realistic means of travel between continents?!
    Why can we not have THIS type boat to travel (as seen in the Gnary a Joke to Tell quest) from Karan(east) to Karan(west) to Faydwer to Kunark, etc.
    Granted, ~5-10m boat ride between continents would still keep things realistic (per se) without being onerous.
    (recalling historically: sea travel via wind took months; steam power, weeks)
    please, Please, PLEASE! re-enable this as an option for travel between Norrathian continents,....
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

In the early days of EQ2, to get from Qeynos to almost anywhere else, you could BUY a boat ride from a sea captain NPC in the harbor. This included the "on a boat" animation. I think they need to put the boat ride NPC back into the city harbors. The ride wasn't cheap, exactly (it was a handful of silver, but very expensive to a young toon in the early days of EQ2).

I'm still surprised that this mechanic isn't in use on the TLE servers. As I recall (and it's been more than a decade, so it's fuzzy) you had to be a certain level or do an access quest to be able to use the boat to some destinations. Because it was blocked for access by level, cost what was (then) a lot of money, and had the long boat ride, it's not as if having the boat rides would be TLE-breaking.
  3. Momo Well-Known Member

It was 60 silver! I joined a guild first time ever and they wanted me and come join to do something inna place outside the scrawls around the city. Someone nice had to come and fetch me - because I didnt have that much money for the boat :rolleyes: awesome times!! Every step an adventure, loved it!
    Soara2, Cyrrena, Rosyposy and 3 others like this.
  4. Febrith Well-Known Member

Wow was it really that much? /boggle. I remember running through Greater Faydark then through Butcherblock, terrified of everything that moved, to get to BBM docks for a ride to TS or Nek:) good times!
  5. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

I sat and rode the boat from Antonica to Kylong Plains the other day just for a bit of nostalgic funsies; think I made 5 or 6 trips back and forth on the boat before I called it quits to go do something else. I also rode the balloon ship from Moors to Sinking Sands...which by the way, instead of dropping me at the mooring dock in Sinking Sands, dropped me off somewhere inside the scenery somewhere between Pillars of Flame and Sinking Sands. I think it dropped me in the wall that separates the zones. I couldn't place exactly where I was. I don't know if it was a one time issue or if it's an all-time issue, as I went to go do something else after I extracted myself from the sandbox of Norrath. I think I'll go ride it a few more times and update later if it's a recurrent issue.
    Soara2, Momo, Cyrrena and 3 others like this.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember going out of the city and killing things just to have enough to sell off for boat fare, too. ;->

The most recent I remember from the Sky Skiff thing between SS and Moors was taking off from the SS sky dock, getting almost to the point where I'd be zoning out, appear to zone out, then come back in to Sinking Sands, approaching the sky dock from the opposite side. Didn't go anywhere. :-/

Since then, I haven't tried the ocean ships, but I can only presume they don't go to too many places any more as well. :(

Uwk
    who wonders: if the ships are pretty much useless (with some rare exceptions, apparently), either eliminate them, or bring them back all the way. One or the other, devs, don't tease us. If they still work, fine, get them back their original functionality, and definitely have them be a thing for the TLEs.

Or don't you lot have that bit of programming any more, either? :(
  7. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

We have been telling them for about 18 months about the airship throwing you off before you get to the dock, sometimes it throws you to your death, other times it throws you into the water where the quest for Bristlebane is right now.
    Soara2 and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  8. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

They work on Kaladim.
  9. Momo Well-Known Member

Yes, I also /bug reported that what feels like ages ago. It also throws me to my death regularily whenn arriving in Ykesha.

Cool thing: The boat to Kylong doesnt go there yet on Kaladim, but you can very well use them for a nice sightseeing roundtrip in the harbour :)
  10. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only one that did that. Get on the boat and just go around in circles.
  11. Niboota Well-Known Member

I remember that!!
    I also miss that book animation and the accompanying story/lore that was part of the log in when the game was launched!
    Soara2, Cyrrena, Breanna and 3 others like this.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Heh! Not intentionally on my part, but then I have a LOT of "kids" and hardly any time to devote to them all equally. :-/

Uwk
    wondering how the Octo-Mom ever managed in RL... X-P
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  13. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

nah. I remember when it was the only way to get to from nek to thundering steppes or butcherblock, minus running through the zone, or to a druid ring.