Screenshots in EQ2 Steam Version?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Jesaine, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Jesaine Well-Known Member

I can't find a screenshot folder anywhere... Not in docs, pics, the hidden Users files, or in Steam's usual spot.

Anybody know where they are stored with the Steam version?

And BTW, what I did NOT ask was to be told I should be playing the regular version. I got tired of perpetual downloading with it.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  2. Tkia Well-Known Member

About the only place you didn't mention is the eq2 folder. Did you actually check there? And if you had a problem with perpetual downloading it was because you had it set to streaming client instead of full download.
    Jesaine likes this.
  3. Dude Well-Known Member

Have you tried playing the non-Steam version? :rolleyes:
    Tkia likes this.
  4. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hail Jes, welcome back (?)

I play the Steam version exclusively bc I'm on Linux and I use Proton for EQ2. Are you talking about the screenshots taken with EQ2 built-in screenshot tool or the ones that you can make with Steam's Overlay (usually with F12)?
    • Here's a good guide for the screenshots that you make via F12 / Steam
    • And here's one with a bit more info
    If you're looking for the screenshots that you do via the built-in screenshot tool in EQ2, it should be somewhere in your Program or Program Files folder on Windows: Steam/steamapps/common/Everquest 2/screenshots. Lemme know how this works out.

Cheers
    Orionza, Twyla and Jesaine like this.
  5. Jesaine Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone that took the time to answer here. First, I should have clarified that I was indeed trying to take screenshots using the EQ2 tool, not the Steam one. :)

Sturmlocke had the right answer. It still took me a while to find them though because I forgot I have my installed Steam games split up over two drives and EQ2 went to the second one.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  6. Jesaine Well-Known Member

You were correct on the perpetual download cause. I won't even ask WHY in the world the game would default to that option after install. What matters is the problem is fixed, and I was able to pass on the fix to a friend I've gotten to try EQ2.

Many thanks :)
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  7. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Glad that you were able to make it work *thumbsup* Also glad to see someone using the Steam client, feel free to add me on Steam and join the EQ2 group chat on there :)

Anyway, that is an interesting topic tbh and a good question, why does EQ2 default to a streaming client? It's good if all you wanna do is try EQ2, but what else? The full client has less lag, stutter, loading times and overall better performance, eh? Personally I'd appreciate informing the user about the two options before logging in the first time, making them aware of the two choices. You might be on to something there @Jes.
    Jesaine likes this.
  8. Jesaine Well-Known Member

The ONLY reason I could think for it to have existed at all was lack of HDD space back in the days of launch. At the same time though, internet speeds were the pits back then also. It's not like players could stream the game on a FiOS setup.

There should definitely be a readily visible option for full install at setup OR right on the launch window home screen.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  9. Tkia Well-Known Member

Nope, it didn't even exist at launch but was introduced much later. And the main reason given was that it would let a new player into the game much faster since they didn't have to wait until the full download completed. Never mind that the game ran like a snail while it was downloading in background or that if you tried to go to a zone it hadn't got yet you had to wait an age for it to get it. Half of the problem with it is the fact that the dev who was working on it left before it was ever perfected.
    Jesaine and Sturmlocke like this.