Scout class?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Rolien, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Rolien Active Member

I have been thinking of making another alt on Stormhold for when my conj and pally are regaining vitality and was curious what type of scout might suit me.

On live I have a Dirge, Swashy, Assassin, BeastLord (Why they are in scout category I'm not sure). But I would like to make a scout on TLE but I would also like to be able to solo effectively in places such as crypt of betrayal.

I have been debating between Brigand and Assassin which might be better for soloing currently? I know no scout will even come close to Conj in soloing potential but really only other pet classes come close.
  2. Hammdaddy Active Member

Rangers are probably king of scout soloing because they can kite everything for days, assassin's kinda suck at soloing
  3. Mankar Active Member

Ranger is king until like...SF?

My dirge can solo blue and green ^^^ without too much trouble so far. Only like level 24 though, so I can't say that will continue all the way up to 50.
    Dread1313 likes this.
  4. Aaramis New Member

For what it's worth, I had this same debate a few days ago. I've played a Troub on live, as well as a Ranger / Assassin that spent half his life betraying back and forth.

On TLE, I wanted something a little different, and couldn't decide between Swash / Brigand, or to go Bard again (maybe Dirge). Tried Swash, Brigand, and Dirge to 15-20ish range, and none of them really felt right. In the end, oddly enough, it was a Berserker that captured me after making him on a whim having spent the last 4 days creating / deleting / re-rolling various classes. Go figure.

So my advice would be to not discount the non-Scout classes such as the tanks - they may end up being exactly what you're looking for. With the auto-attack damage improvements, some of the tanks actually do respectable dps now.

And as far as Scouts go, Ranger is definitely strong with the live version of auto-attack damage, but you won't see that damage until the 20+ game really. Before that, you miss too much for it to be a completely reliable form of dps. One mob you'll slaughter in 1-shot; the next you'll miss 3 bow shots in a row, and be forced to melee it down.

But Ranger is definitely fun, and solos well once you level high enough, and VERY well once AAs come into play.
  5. Mankar Active Member

I would like to highlight this. If you are not comfortable healing/tanking on live, TLEs offer the unique opportunity to learn the classes in a group setting one layer at a time.
  6. Wulfhammer Active Member

Not in corridors and rooms they can't.... Fine out in the open but he wants to solo CoB.
  7. Kindread Active Member

Scouts being a whole lot of utility to the game too!

As a full time tank I need more scouts in my life!!

Please, help a tank, be a scout!

Look me up on Kindread, 16 SK PvE TLE!
  8. Hammdaddy Active Member

With mercs/death mark heal/touch of the nightshade i think assassin's pull ahead just because with concealment they can burst a lot harder than rangers and kill stuff quicker
  9. Mankar Active Member

This is fair and I can't speak from experience for either of those classes. I mainly speak from my perception of which is better for a more solo-oriented character from what people say.
  10. Almost Member

For TLE go Brig. First, there aren't alot of us, and second Brigs are pretty beastly if you take the time to figure them out. I am having a blast on up to even con ^^^. Are they easy? No, but are you really on the TLE server because you want easy? I hope not.

Learning what does what is important with a brig, but once you have a good idea of what you need always, vs what you need situationally, you will love the flexibility of the class.

My brig kills one or two things very fast, while my guardian will kill 5-10 things very slowly; both have no problem killing an even con ^^^ however. (unless I miss a stun...then good night)

PS always use your poisons, even at level 20 or below
  11. Dixa Active Member

well played rangers are keeping up with summoners on 5 minute parses. I have personally confirmed this on players up to level 25 with both PQ's (trying to drop the first spawn of the boss with only a 2 group raid where you and the ranger are doin 350 and everyone else is doin 40 dps..it's not dying in time but great for parsing)
  12. Aaramis New Member

Definitely use those poisons, I agree. They help, even though auto-attack will do most of your damage for you.

Also, and not to change the topic....but your Guardian can solo even con ^^^s??
    Jeez. What level? That was certainly never possible back in original EQ.
  13. Dixa Active Member

NOT a CLASSIC server. it's more of a NOSTALGIC server.

i watched rangers take on heroic 3^ two at a time at level 16 in WC.
  14. Aaramis New Member

Yep, I'm aware, I'm playing there too :)
    Just wasn't aware that the tanks were able to easily solo ^^^ heroics.... I'm guessing that's at 20+ once they start getting the decent blue stat gear?