Scheduled Server Downtime November 11, 2014

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Afista_DG, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Sedient Active Member

It is pure economics. Expac cost = X. Q = player population likely to buy X / Q = cost per copy

They aren't in the business of losing money. It is what it is. Each person needs to ask if it is worth it to them, and some will decide no, meaning next time the cost will be the same or more.

I agree that an alternate business model might be to put it forward as a loss leader, but they no doubt made that analysis and chose the current pricing model. They probably do understand that they aren't going to make drastic leaps in population growth so they are pricing it this way.
    Claudiana likes this.
  2. Febrith Well-Known Member

Well they never will make great leaps in population growth if people don't know about it i.e, if it's never advertised/marketed. You could do a lot to bring back old players and introduce new ones with an effective marketing campaign - and yes I include boxed sets with this. I still have my cloth map of Qeynos on my wall in the study (Freeport on the other side) and yes it is cool! They have such an amazing product - shame they themselves seem to have no faith it in:(
    Tawnia, Sylvain and Xaxx like this.
  3. Suraklin Member

No option to buy expansion yet? I'm an All Access member but see no options to buy the expansion as of yet.
  4. Talonclaw New Member

What is the size of the download, please?
    I have a Sat connection, with a limited D/L allowance.

Thanks
  5. Laita Well-Known Member

It was only like 350mb for me... from what I gather we already downloaded a lot of it last week.
    Talonclaw likes this.
  6. SgtPmpkn Well-Known Member

They mentioned that the purchase servers would come up close to when the game servers do... but I'm hoping its sooner.
  7. Talonclaw New Member

Thanks!
  8. Philotheos New Member

Really? On Veterans day? I'm a Veteran and I was all set to play a little EQ2. Woke up on my day off, got me some coffee. While coffee was brewing I thought about what I was going to do first. Grind a little SS. Then I sat down and BAM! No EQ2!! You guys should really give a little more warning!

Everybody (maybe except the really new people) knew that SOE does maintenance, patches, and updates on Tuesdays. Unless it is an emergency or something that just needs a quick fix. Everybody also should know that they are uploading the expansion tomorrow. "this is a quote"

Oh Yeah, sorry forgot about the Tuesday thing. Guess I forgot it was tuesday, I was more focused on Veterans thing and other stuff. lol
    Anghammarad and Tawnia like this.
  9. Tawnia Member

I expected, and I'm sure others as well, the xpac to be live early on today. As an editor I agree with the above statement, don't lead on! Really disappointed that I am off and it will be 7/8 hours before the xpac actually goes live and then having to fight web-traffic to get it! How will the update will only take an approximate 20 mins as named by a few? It took me a longer time to DL Beta for this xpac, so I am doubtful on this!
    Additionally, the new player race is great, but really $40 US? On top of an already $22 increase from other CE's? You have no idea how many of us are ticked off about this! This is more than a yearly Subscription! The need to make up for losses of ft2p accounts vs paid accounts should not be weighted on the shoulders of those of us who do pay! Give the committed ones a break, 10%? How about a slight increase on that today or even the next few days? /Stumped!
  10. Rhamnusia New Member

Well patch day has been tuesdays. There's warning. The scheduled release for the expansion for paying members was the 11th. There's warning. This topic was actually posted yesterday. There's warning. I'm not sure how much warning you were looking for here.
    Spindle, Feylone and Philotheos like this.
  11. Cyliena Well-Known Member

1.15GB for me, but I didn't patch from last week due to being out of town.
  12. Cyliena Well-Known Member

1. I'm fairly certain no one sinisterly plotted to slight veterans today
    2. The expansion launch date was announced back in August and repeated several times since. Honestly not sure how much more warning you can get, unless they announce next year's today.
    3. Have another cup of coffee, it'll be OK. :)
    Shmogre, Claudiana, Tierisch and 5 others like this.
  13. Tawnia Member

Indeed! As I previously noted, the loss of players should not be weighed upon those who are committed purchasers. The introduction to kronos really screwed the $$ making factor!
    WoW is currently releasing their xpac soon, they are advertising-they always have, PS4, Xbox, etc. they all market their games, why aren't they doing it for EQ2??? I used to play SWG by Sony/Lucus Arts years ago I miss it more than anything, SWoTR is not by any means a justifiable replacement, I know what Sony is capable of! :) I suffered through 4 "Combat Upgrades" before the game soon fell to shambles 10+ years later, is this the road we want for EQ2? I think not! ADVERTISE spend money to receive it!
    Alenna likes this.
  14. Sedient Active Member

Not trying flame you, but on this one.. you missed it. There has been plenty of warning and it has been open conversation in server chat for the last few weeks. I've known for at least 45 days. Sorry you missed it, but the warning has been there. ;-/
    Tierisch likes this.
  15. Philotheos New Member

HAHA! Well, okay if you insist :) I edited my post because I forgot about the Tuesday thing. I must have a virus in my head! Thanks for reply!
    Tierisch and Cyliena like this.
  16. Eronious New Member

MMMMMM!! COFFEE.......:)
    Tierisch and Cyliena like this.
  17. Kenn Well-Known Member

Sucks, my day off and I'm up early to play
    Philotheos likes this.
  18. Raff Well-Known Member

Irony doesn't transfer well in text. Philotheos original post pretty tongue in cheek.
    Tierisch likes this.
  19. Sedient Active Member

I haven't heard the theory on how Kronos screwed things up.

As far as advertising goes. They probably could do a little more. This isn't their first rodeo though. They have been running EQ for 15 years. I can only assume they are running EQ2 on much the same business decision model. In no way am I suggesting that SOE does everything correctly. They certainly have a long history of screwing some things up, but I simply don't buy into some of the theories out there like "they don't care if the game dies off". Their decisions are based on the realities and economics of the game and market.
    Tierisch likes this.
  20. oriell Member

YES! It is a terrible move to launch a GAME EXPANSION on a federal holiday.... are you ********? This is the best move they could have made as this is the day most people in America have off! All of the complaining on these forums has gotten ridiculous. If you don't like the way SoE is conducting business (yes it is business to them) then quit playing. It is no different than canceling your subscription to Netflix or Xbox live.

With that being said, stop your crying about the duration of down times and go get some fresh air. SoE is doing exactly as any company does when they are working and that is making money. If they didn't make money the game wouldn't exist anymore as the developers actually get paid to release new content, fix bugs, and communicate with the community about such events. Lets face it, each of you who just complained are going to pay the asking price for the expansion and additional fees for extra "cool" content that isn't required to succeed in the game. Get over yourselves already