Save vs RNG??? What?

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Kristabella, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Kristabella Well-Known Member

What does that mean exactly?

I saw this on an item, in it's description it says:
    "On a hostile ability cast this spell has a 10% chance to cast SAVE vs RNG on caster. Lasts for 12.0 seconds."

\aITEM -840507012 1773557394:D-Twenty\/a
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

It's a D&D reference.
  3. Melkior Well-Known Member

"Save vs RNG" is the name of the Buff. As Sig said, this is a reference to D&D where you could roll a twenty sided die for a chance to save yourself from a spell effect. In the case of the familiar, when you are casting hostile abilities it gives a chance to proc a random fervor buff of -5 to +25 for 12 seconds.
  4. Mermut Well-Known Member

I play pen and paper and have never heard the phrase 'Save vs RNG'...
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Melkior like this.
  5. Melkior Well-Known Member

Not against RNG, put surely 'Save vs Poison', or 'Save vs Magic'. At least long ago in my D&D days those were called Saving Throws. I think the RNG was just spoofing the randomness of it all.
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

Fort save vs poison isn't 'save vs rng' any more than 'I like kittens' is related to 'I like root canals'
    Geroblue likes this.
  7. Melkior Well-Known Member

Meh. OK. I thought it was funny, and a nice acknowledgement of the pen and paper game. YMMV.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I agree with Mel. ;->

Many a webcomic will have some generic and/or punny variation on "save vs. _________"; I always giggle knowingly when I see it. :)

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Yeah... not making sense on save vs. rng.

Tunnels and Trolls, saves were against luck. Which had levels of difficulty.

D&d/ad&d has saving throws, or saving rolls, I've never heard of it any other way. Not in Traveller, Wizards' Realm, 'SPACE: 1889 !', nor in GURPS. Nor in any other MMOs I have played.

I cannot count the ways,
    for they do not exist,
    I'll just have to sit here,
    and not dance.
    Mermut and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Nevertheless, it's been referenced in various places. Rather like Carl Sagan never having said, "Billiyuns and billiyuns of..." or McCoy saying, "He's dead, Jim," it's probably something we all remember without it having actually happened. ;->

Which is a thing, so we can just accept it and move on. ;->

Uwk
    Melkior and Breanna like this.
  11. Melkior Well-Known Member

Here's how I saw it. Generally speaking a saving throw was used when you wanted a chance to mitigate an unfavorable event. What in EQ2 tends to be unfavorable more than anything else (at least for me)? The RNG. So while no there was never a Save vs. RNG in pen and paper games, I really found the concept to be funny. But then again I've always said I'm a bit of an oddball.
    Geroblue likes this.