Sage question

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Ardrek, Oct 17, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Ardrek Guest

I don't know why but I made my mystic an sage and I've leveled up to 25 now.
    I'm finding this a terrible choice so far, I can't figure out what anything would be used for unless I make one of them or go to the internet and search it up. This seems to be a TERRIBLE waste of time, nothing can be used by me. I can't seem to find any list of items that could be used by me either. I made something for a friend and he already had a more power spell obtained from a random drop just playing the game... so I can't seem to help anyone else with this either.
    seems like the only use for my items would be to make items with a high enough quality that they could be disenchanted to make adornments that everyone can use.
    kind of wish I had picked something that everyone can use like making backpacks or food.
    Just wondering if sage gets better, I don't think I can stand changing it since most of the leveling was caused by crafting quest chains that can't be repeated, it would be a very very long road to switch.
  2. ARCHIVED-General_Info Guest

sages make spell upgrades for mages/priests adv books give expert tier spell recipies. also at soem point you can do a quest and be able to make ingame writable books with rares.
  3. ARCHIVED-Lizabethan Guest

As the poster above me stated, we make writable books (http://eq2.eqtraders.com/articles/article_page.php?article=g326 for pictures) and spells for certain classes. Some of these, especially the mastercrafted, can be sold for some money or used as upgrades for your own characters. Keep in mind that the highest tiers sell the most.
    Sages also make different things with their apprentices than other professions (charms), and in itself can be used to get reactants with the daily. If you have an elite apprentice they fall under the scholar category and can research even more powerful recipes: http://eq2.eqtraders.com/articles/a...hp?article=g491
    If you're not feeling the profession, don't worry about it. You can always switch at a tradeskill counselor.
  4. ARCHIVED-Finora Guest

I don't know what level your mystic is, but sage is pretty much an ideal first crafter for a mystic for personal use. My first mystic would have been my sage had the guild not needed a provisioner badly at the time hehe.
    Sage makes all your spell upgrades. Sage makes a few other useful items via the tradeskill apprentices and special quested or faction earned recipes as well.

Now, if you are trying to be a sage for money, that's much harder. The biggest sales for a sage in a game that has been around this long will be the new high level spells after a level cap increase. If you watch in channels, you will sometimes see people requesting X number of spells crafted. Most spells do not sell well on the broker though, certainly not ones of the journeyman variety.
    Other crafts are definately more consistantly profitable, if that is what you are looking for.
  5. ARCHIVED-Tylia Guest

There is a whole LOT of tradeskill information at http://eq2.eqtraders.com/articles/a...tr=040000000000
    Make sure that you aquire and scribe the sage Advanced recipe books. They are the ones that contain the expert spell recipes (the ones that use a rare to craft).
  6. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

I'm guessing the OP only has essential crafting books which make apprentice grade spells. To make expert level spells you need harvested rare components (easy to get, expensive on broker) and the appropriate Advanced Sage book. At 25 you should do the questline in Butcherblock Mountains to get the 20-29 advanced books cheap (you can buy them cheap from the quest giver after you finish the quest line). You can do the same for 10-19 books in New Halas, and 30-39 in Steamfront Mountains.
  7. ARCHIVED-Terrorpeutic Guest

Ardrek wrote:
    When you open up the crafting window, you can right click on an item and examine it (sometime you need to examine twice), you can then see what the spell is used for. Also, there's an advance search button at the top that you can use to filter out items usable by mystics among other filters.
    The expert spells aren't impossible to sell when the corresponding masters aren't available.
  8. ARCHIVED-Boethius_Permafrost Guest

My first response is ... you cast spells, and you can't find ANY use for spells, which is what a sage creates? Are you kidding?
    On second reading, I suppose that sages make so many useful spells that you might have trouble finding your spells in all those recipes. Try creating a recipe set for Mystic usable, or just type in the name of one of your spells in the recipe window's search bar (and press the find button).
    Also, do not target the wrong crafting station when you open your recipe book. It will hide all the other recipes if you happen to be targetting a forge, for example. Sages don't make anything on the forge.
  9. ARCHIVED-Puck Guest

Enrico@Permafrost wrote:
    So that's why I keep burning up my parchment... :D