Sage made writing books

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-EverAfterIt, Jun 16, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-Silerua Guest

I love the books - and the quest was cute... My only only complaint is the title. *sob* Why is the "t" capitalized to make it "The Bookbinder"? Random commas and capitalized "t"s seem to be the new fad for titles these days... It's easy - if a suffix starts with "the" there's no comma (and no capitalization for "the"), and if there's no "the" there's a comma. *nods* (edit: Of course, there are exceptions, but they're few and far between. For example, the Apothecary would be a "the" starting suffix with a comma in the sense that, if I understand it correctly, there was only one on the server, right? Since it's a specific and personal title, it *could* be "So-and-so, the Apothecary" because it's an appositive, not a title, in this case... The comma would be optional because it's both a renamer (comma) and an epithet (no comma)... if that makes sense...)
    Yeah, I know. I'm a nitpick. *goes back to her corner and consoles herself with pretty books*
  2. ARCHIVED-GrunEQ Guest

I am having a problem where I cannot see my own books on the broker. Even if I use an alt to check by seller's name, they still do not show up. I, too, would like to be able to see how my pricing compares to others, which doesn't show either, as even my own doesn't show up.
  3. ARCHIVED-theriatis Guest

Hi,
    do the Player Written Books count against the Item Limit in the House or the Guildhall ?
    Regards, theriatis.
  4. ARCHIVED-JamesBlueridge Guest

theriatis wrote:
    Nope.
  5. ARCHIVED-SilkenKidden Guest

GrunEQ wrote:
    You have to use advanced search to see any of the player books. Look in the TYPE drop down list for Player written notebooks and select that. Don't type it in the text box at the top. That doesn't work.
  6. ARCHIVED-Katz Guest

This one new feature inspired me to level a sage. I'm up to level 32.....*ponders how long it will take me to reach level 50*
  7. ARCHIVED-JamesBlueridge Guest

Silken@Butcherblock wrote:
    You know, in a way, I can see the logic of making one have to use the advanced search in order to find any of the player books. What if you're searching for, say, Jester's Cap, the spell, and someone names a book "Jester's Cap (Master) by Randomjerk." You don't want that getting in your search, and while they may have done things to prevent that exact sort of thing from happening, I'm sure there are enterprising fools out there who would find a way to screw things up for everyone else anyway.
  8. ARCHIVED-Gruelien Guest

I'm happy so happy I hunting down the old guild charter from UO and EQ1 to put on display in the GH for the guildies to read. Gru
  9. ARCHIVED-GrunEQ Guest

I'm sorry to be misleading but I'm talking about blank notebooks. I put my blank notebooks on broker but I can't see if anyone else has them on and what prices of the same item like I can for any other broker placed items. It would be nice to be able to find blank notebooks by typing "notebook" in the search box. As for finding player writen books I understand having the search be different.
    And thanks for the drop down menu under TYPE, I just wasn't getting it.
  10. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

Katz wrote:
    I've been thinking about the same thing.. or dusting off my current sage and putting her back to work again.
  11. ARCHIVED-PsychoKitty Guest

Ok, so I would like to gather a few people opinions here if that is ok. What do we do, as a crafting community, to combat people putting fake books up on the broker?
    We already have one genius on our server who is doing this. I bought his book and then re-sold it on the broker for 1c in the hopes that people would a) see this and know not to buy it or b) buy it, read it, and put it back up. But someone just bought it and either didn't get the idea or vendored it to make a quick 5g.
    I considered making my own book entitled "who not to buy from" or "irreputable dealers best avoided" but this would be walking a very fine line and I imagine I could get into trouble over it?
    But it really irks me that he sits there with them for sale, so suggestions please?
  12. ARCHIVED-nighthunter Guest

I for one love these books. I have started putting items I can craft in them for my guild and putting them in the correct room (The Assassin's Cookbook in the Kitchen). Basically it shows all the 5hr T7 and T8 food and Drink, what the stats are and how much it costs to make them (fuel cost only as these are guildies afterall) plus the Infustions and Reductions. It seems to be working well as I have gotten a few tells saying "Oh I didnt know there was food with thiose stats" or "Please make me the Magma stuff!!!" The only complaint (and its really a minor one) is if you dont have "Smooth Fonts" checked in the options it will throw the format (look) of the book. Other then that I love them!!!!
  13. ARCHIVED-JamesBlueridge Guest

Pusska@Permafrost wrote:
    I haven't run into this problem yet, although I'm not entirely sure what you mean by fake books. Is that like someone writing in a book but keeping the name the same to make it seem like it's a blank? Or giving it a title but having no content?
    On Antonia Bayle, I've started a para-guild called The Coalition of Booksellers, Authors, Lorekeeps, and Taleweavers (CoBALT) to kinda keep the RP community on AB at the very least together and in the know.
  14. ARCHIVED-SilkenKidden Guest

Pusska@Permafrost wrote:
    What is a fake book?
  15. ARCHIVED-PsychoKitty Guest

I am talking about one with a title, but no content.
  16. ARCHIVED-SilkenKidden Guest

Pusska@Permafrost wrote:
    Read the Norrathian Book Review before buying any authored books.
    Actually, I can't imagine buying one of those unless I had a reason, such as having heard it was interesting. I don't think the devs want to get involved in having us reporting each other for minor infractions, so let the buyer beware.
  17. ARCHIVED-Mikkahl Guest

Silken@Butcherblock wrote:
    Well, for example, I spent 18 gold on a book who's title suggested it had tips and guides for a Rime instance (or maybe it was WoE). When I opened it, it had only 2 words: "Suck less..."
    Yes, it is truly "buyer beware", but I think we should be able to preview the contents before buying the book.
  18. ARCHIVED-SilkenKidden Guest

Mikkahl wrote:
    I just posted a thread called Norrathian Book Review - Butcherblock on the Norrathial Homeshow forum. Perhaps you should start such a thread for your server and post the name of both the book and the offending seller.
    Maybe then we can get all the individual server threads consolidated into one thread and sticked on that forum.
  19. ARCHIVED-PsychoKitty Guest

That's not a bad idea. It might be better in the server specific forums though?
    Anyhow, I might look at starting something like that up. Problem is, people seem to have stopped making books on permafrost already!!!!!!
    Please make some books permafrost people :) Send them to me if you like, I will pay you for them and add you to a list of reputable authors!
  20. ARCHIVED-kyrrah Guest

GrunEQ wrote:
    Typing notebook in the search field worked fine for me. /shrug