Sage made writing books

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-EverAfterIt, Jun 16, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-EverAfterIt Guest

Ok. I just finished the quest to be able to make the player-editable books. By the way thank you, they are very cool :)
    I'd like to know, are these books forever? For example, I craft one as a journal say and perhaps one day (not gonna happen) decide not to play anymore. Is that book, once copies are made or it's sold 'out there' and will just keep kicking around for as long as Norrath exists?
  2. ARCHIVED-Rothgar Guest

Glad you like them!
    Yes, the books are permanent like any other item in the game, until you decide to destroy it
  3. ARCHIVED-Gruelien Guest

I can't seem to search for them on the broker :( I already made one that is in process for the History of our guild from UO to EQ1 to DOAC and SWG and EQ2 Gru
  4. ARCHIVED-NiamiDenMother Guest

Gruelien wrote:
    It was there in the patch notes (I know, the patch notes are huge, it is easy to miss some of these little notes until you've run in circles in-game for a bit) - you need to do an advanced broker search > Type > player-written book.

I made sure to put a bold red warning about broker searching at the top of the furniture gallery page that I made.
  5. ARCHIVED-mistressfrost Guest

ok i ran into a problem i did the quests to be able to make the book. How do i write in them now?? Is there another quest that I have to do or am I doing something wrong??
  6. ARCHIVED-Rothgar Guest

Once you've crafted a book, you just have to right-click on it and "Read" it.
    As long as you are the author of the book, or its a blank book, you should have an "Edit" button at the bottom of the book window. Clicking this will allow you to type/edit the text.
    If the Edit button doesn't appear, I would assume you have a third party UI with a custom book window. You would need to update your UI or revert back to Default.
  7. ARCHIVED-SilkenKidden Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    Thank you very much. I made a slew of them today for guild hall and guild members. We are going ot publish our Guild History and keep it in the library.
    I too had a problem searching for the books once I put it up for sale. Couldn't find a filter in the search window. No problem, I just found the instructions for searching that are given in the above link.

Again. Thank you. These books are great. They have so many uses.
  8. ARCHIVED-kelesia Guest

I made some of these today and they are completely awesome. Two things
    1. I filled it up fast. Only 7-8 pages of text in the book I was in (the purple strengthened leather one) I really think these need more pages!
    2. One thing, like for my journal, I would love to a journal entry start a new page. I saw no -next page- button. That'd be a great addition!
  9. ARCHIVED-SilkenKidden Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    One of the first things I did was create a personal journal for myself. The first thing in that was the instructions on how to do the advanced search on the broker for these same books. Got a number of tricks in it already. Got a list of voice chat commands since we need to access those quite often the last few days - with chat not working right!!!!!
  10. ARCHIVED-Galldora Guest

NiamiDenMother wrote:
    I can see where it could take awhile for this to become common knowledge. Perhaps it could be included in the hints we see while zoning.
    I LOVE the books! What a wonderful idea, and so many beautiful covers. Thanks to all who made this happen!
  11. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

So what I am reading from this is if you have a sage make it for you either directly, or by commission, it is going to have the sage's name down as the author of the book? You'll be able to write in it once but not edit it, and then that sage will be able to edit it any time they want? Or is there a workaround?
  12. ARCHIVED-Whilhelmina Guest

Nope, the name of the sage is only in the "maker" line, not in the "author" line and only the author can edit, not the sage.
  13. ARCHIVED-Cataclyx Guest

Add me to the player editable books fanclub. These are awesome and have sooo much potential. I would like to point out there is also a fair amount of room to have these books abused. Luckilly our friends at soe planned ahead.....if you read somone else's book and the content is an eula violation you can right click that page and report it's contents......AWESOME.

As guild leader on oasis server i will be using these books to start a server wide event with fabulous prizes. My intent is to write a quest (ie treasure hunt), and put a ton of these "copies" on the broker to let folks grab em up and try for the prize.
    Would be awesome if we could get other ideas from the community here. Think outside the box, how would you use these other than as a journal/rulebook etc.
  14. ARCHIVED-TygerMeow Guest

Yes aside from putting some of my RP stories in game and adding them to my house library I'm excited about keeping a journal for my characters. Druid rings harvested, notes on quests, kills needed for epic etc are great to track in game with each character.
    Asheron's Call had the ability to write short notes on most looted and player-made items as well as had note pages where you could track this stuff and write notes to yourself like the voice commands the poster above mentions.

Great addition to the game with aesthetic and practical value!
  15. ARCHIVED-Anordil Guest

I was in love with these before they patched and, whoa minga, I'm even moreso now! I've had one of the guild scribes cranking these out (and clearing out some of those old waxed pelts hehe) by the truckload. I love the artwork and I REALLY love that I can write a book in the languages I speak! :D Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  16. ARCHIVED-Grikoria Guest

The books are great ! Thanks so much ! Now I can really write .........
  17. ARCHIVED-GrunEQ Guest

My sage has posted her books on the broker, but no matter how I try doing "player-written book" I still get nothing.
  18. ARCHIVED-SilkenKidden Guest

GrunEQ wrote:
    You don't enter it in the text, you select it from the drop down list in the TYPE window. It's the second or third selection box on the left.
  19. ARCHIVED-prusso1970 Guest

Is it obvious and Im just missing it? .. but when I want to broker a blank notebook and compare prices, none show up ..not even my own. To ensure Im selling competitively I need to be able to compare mine to the others.
    The work around is to filter the player written books and WRITE DOWN the lowest price of each book then compare it seperately to my list but it currently does not work like every sellable item in the game where I can see my price along with everybody elses.
    Is it indeed a bug or deliberate as the contents may differ even though the item name might not?
  20. ARCHIVED-JamesBlueridge Guest

Anordil@Lucan DLere wrote:
    I concur! I very much love player-made books. I've already got 18 volumes written, and 7 out on the broker.
    Which leads me to a question/problem: Only one of my volumes is stacking. All the others refuse to stack, leading to my broker window getting cluttered with all the volumes and if you do a search on AB for books, a good three windows is my books. I don't want to look like I'm trying to flood the market! I'd like to be able to have them set so that if you're searching, you see, for instance, A Cold Morning for Zanadi T'Nar: Volume II as a stack of 4, rather than four separate entries for A Cold Morning for Zanadi T'Nar.
    Is anyone else having this stacking problem and is there anything that can be done about it?