Sad state of Tanking Nowadays

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Shredderr, Apr 2, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Shredderr Guest

I had noticed this on my wizard but as I have recently lvled my monk to 83 with a meager 152 aa it becomes ever so apparant that tanks have become lazy and so the rest of the classes have followed suit .
    I notice that just as Monk are getting some viable tools to increase their chances for survival in tanking that the other tank calsses have become ridiculously overpowered and this has removed good grouping habits by other classes . . healers act a little funny when they actually hace to heal u as opposed to compete on the parse like the dps classes have fun doing . warlocks and scouts like to attack mobs other than the one the tank is targeting thus allowing them to get off more attacks and enhance their parse . Is this their fault ? Idk guess I cant blame them as they have learned what they can get away with with a "real" tank . Most tanks can run into a room with yellow heroics run all over the place grab all the mobs and never lose aggro unless there is a well geared warlock in the group or wizzy . and if its a crusader then they prob wont lose aggro at all.
    Now i am not saying I have enough AA to know what I can do but I played a pally to lvl 60 when 60 was the cap and back then while we were tough it required some skill , body pulling everyone must assist or pull aggro and pay the price . Sorcerers if specced right can tank better than most monks I come by by reason of holding aggro and dieing before they can eat though the mages wards .
    berzerkers guardians (not the best at it albeit) Sk's and Pallies can all run into a room grab all the heroics and do enough aoe dps too hold aggro on everything even without folks assisting most times . When they are asked to assist me they insist its because I suck .... ok lets not argue that point and say ... arent u supposed to assist the tank or the Ma if there is one ?
    Honestly i know a pally my wizzy runs with , wont say no names but we do about 4 - 5 zones with just me him and 1 other dps class no healer at and I mean we do all the way to last named . Solo he can come in and do some of the early named in certain zones himself . I mean they toss us hungry ... starving dogs a bone and we are excited bout it but one look over and the competition is feasting on steak gravy with a biscuit . By this point I look at the AA and i cannot see in them even the capacity to fix this sitution with the abilities in AA let alone Ca's or gear .
    Just sayin , aint ranting really to tired to rant just calling it like I see it . Maybe top tier raiding guilded monks can do similar things but I havent seen one yet gratz to ya if you can wish you'd give up a pointer . But as it stands I can rarly get a position tanking group only willing to let a plate tank .... tank . guess they feel the same way .
  2. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Shredderr wrote:
    With crane flock and the proper aa's ae agro really isn't as big an issue anymore. The only problem I usually have is if a mob gets away out of my reach and the dps don't want to run it in it is sometimes a little tricky getting it back since the range of our ae's are kind of small. But then again I dont mind letting a dps die in that situation because I am not the type to chase mobs around.
  3. ARCHIVED-Xill Guest

BChizzle wrote:
    Haha, I run with a Monk that does the same thing. She is like "If you pull the stupid thing out of my reach when I have 10 mobs on me, don't expect me to come running over to save you...it will be coming back to me shortly anyways".

But really she just tanked the Vigilant x2 last night and did a fairly decent job. Held aggro off a SK that had aggro buffs right along with her. First time in the zone but it didn't go too bad = P
  4. ARCHIVED-circusgirl Guest

...it appears I am way too nice a monk >.>
  5. ARCHIVED-Aull Guest

Your are aggressive Vinka that is what it is and there is nothing wrong with that. I did the same for a while till I learned that all I am doing is allowing dps to run rampid while I did all I could to try and get it back.
    If a wizard feels the need to nuke ice comet on the pull then so be it but they best run to me or they can pull more mobs running the oposite direction.
    Oh and BChizz you smoked me the other night in BG. I lasted one sec. LOL. /em bows.
  6. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Aull wrote:
    LOL, tbh I usually just run past brawlers in BG's because you spend like a minute or two avoiding each other and the fight ends when someone gets help, probably just a lucky flurry.
    But ya I don't have the patience to chase mobs, if I can hold ae agro on a raid doing 500k+ dps I can certainly hold it in groups and if someone rips they probably did something stupid and deserve to die.
  7. ARCHIVED-Aull Guest

Hehe. Well BChizz you are much better skill wise and gear wise than my measly bruiser will ever be. I just thought it was so cool being along side of ya even though you obliterated me. Had I known in time I would saved a screen shot of it.
  8. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Aull wrote:
    Get the x2 2 hander and load up on some bg's gear and you will hang easy.
  9. ARCHIVED-Kinless Guest

Right now my monk can tank on par with any of the plate tanks in a survivability factor. AE aggro is not easy mode but with right spec and target cycle it is doable.

I am within 1% mitigation when putting on defensive gear of our raid MT and alot more avoidance ( which works now btw as I have had 70% avoidance reports from tanking hard mode t9 named ). The true test in SF hard mode content is AE spell damage on which all tanks are on fairly even ground to mitigate ( not counting bloodletter procs into my even ground scenario ).

Push yourselves more, experiment with gear and AA. You will find yourself very surprised. I have had no issue whatsoever with getting a group or raid slot on my monk. Be it pre made or PUG as tank or OT or DPS.

Disclaimer : I have worn raid gear since level 50 in 2005 and have no experience with what folks encounter in mastercrafted or legendary. Results may vary somewhat but I dont think to the degree that folks claim. Especially in heroic zones. I had no issue in TSO beyond raid named killing me with double attack strikethrough and the AE fights made tanking miserable but I found my own way to work through it as I know others had.