Rumors Abound

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by suka, Oct 2, 2014.

1. suka Well-Known Member

There are so many rumors in the rumor mill. I seldom pay attention to them. however, certain ones irritate me. like the one i heard from an eq1 raider. the raiders are saying that of all of the games, eq2 has less people than any others and that it won't be around much longer.

of course, this is just wishful thinking on someone's part. i informed them that eq2 is very popular and alive and well. rumors of our demise are greatly exaggerated. silly eq1 raiders.
  2. Alphonsus Well-Known Member

1. SoE and many other companies don't release their subscriber numbers. So anything your dumb friend said is made up.
    2. Even if they did, since most games added F2P with Paying subscribers it's difficult to get an exact number anyway.
    3. No! Doing "/who all" does not give you a player count.
    4. Tell your EQ1 friend to shut up and stop making things up.
    5. I used nicer words on #4 because this is the official forums.

Lastly, if you want to make an educated guess you can look at each companies' financials. I'd bet SoE and many other companies make more money on a monthly basis from marketplace items than they do from subs.
    Charlice and Mozil like this.
  3. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

I don't think EQ2 is going anywhere anytime soon. There are MANY MMOs with obviously way less population numbers than EQ2 and they are still around, some with just a single server with medium populations.

Plus we are still getting yearly expansions (this years being rather large it seems) and patches on a regular basis. If we didn't have the numbers, I think those updates would become further and further apart. That's just my 2 cents though.
    Leloes and suka like this.
  4. santargria Well-Known Member

This is an easy one actually - when eq 2 starts looking like vanguard (no dev support for years), the end will be near :eek:
  5. suka Well-Known Member

not my friend. just a guy spouting off on eq1 during a raid that my family member was in and i happened to be in the room to hear it. as i said, it is wishful thinking on some of eq1 people's parts. i don't know why they hate eq2 so much. jealous i guess.
  6. Saihung423 New Member

I came back. And there always seem to be people on the server. Hellfire, after about 2 or 3 years gone, I logged in and was showing a new player the sights in New Halas on my second day.

After ten years, I think the game is doing fairly decent. In the last month of playing I have had a lot of fun.
  7. eq1brd New Member

probably bitter over the fact that our game got ruined just to testbed features for your failed sequel.
  8. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

I've been seeing lots of "returning player' threads. I don't think we have anything to worry about on that one. Hell us decorators alone keep the marketplace busy lol.
  9. Virgatus Member

I wouldn't pay much attention to the rumors. The game might not have the numbers that others do, but I still see many people playing the game each time I log on.
  10. Elskidorr Active Member

Everquest and EQ2 will be around for many many more years to come.They have 18/19 servers still up and going per game, so they are safe. As mentioned, Vanguard stayed running for years with only one server, no de support, no expansions... they were on this life support for years before finally going bye bye.
  11. Charlice Well-Known Member

There is so many more games to choose from now, and really if anyone thinks that any of the new games are doing better than EQ2, I think they're kidding themselves.

What was our choice? Mine was EQ2 or WoW pretty much.

I think the days of one or two games monopolising the player base have well and truly gone.
    Hijinx likes this.