RSVP Thread SUMMER ROAD TRIP 2019

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Cyrrena, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Geroblue Well-Known Member

My mother loved it. Thing is, mom did the same things. She just apparently didn't see herself in the character. I prefered watching Monty Python's Flying Circus and Tom Baker and Mr. Pertwee as Dr. Who.

One time we went to an amusement park. Turned around and went home. Mom was told we had to pay at the gate. She just wanted to look around and let my siblings maybe get on a few rides and just pay for those.

I'm surprised I haven't been quoting Month Python. But I'll refrain.

edit: I'm not comparing any one here to my mother. She was one of a kind.
    Soara2, Cyrrena, Rosyposy and 2 others like this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

We had an awesome mail carrier for the longest time, then he retired... X-P

The new guy, for the longest time, didn't understand the whole "leave the key for the bigger mail parcel little door in our locked mail slot [apartment complex, with a bank of boxes and stupid shelves IN A PUBLIC PLACE {foreshadowing! :-/}] and lock the bigger mail parcel door with the package in it" bit. He wouldn't lock the parcel doors, so many things "grew legs and walked away" (I personally called the Post Office like 3x, and I wasn't the only one; the USPS Feds got involved at one point), and if a box wouldn't fit in the parcel cubby, he'd just leave it out in plain sight, rather than taking it to the individual apartments and ringing the bell, like he was supposed to (or leaving a notice about it if no one was home). We'd have to take it upon ourselves to deliver the parcels to where they needed to go, until we remembered the security cameras around the place (we've had thieves amongst our renters before, bold enough to snatch things from in front of people's doors. No cameras in the halls...sigh). I looked at one box in an unlocked parcel cubby marked things like PERISHABLE and RUSH DELIVERY and so on and rousted the recipient from his dinner table to come look at it (I'm guessing that he didn't get a key in his mail slot, so he never knew his box had arrived...). It was his insulin, so he was happy to get it. :-/

The grand majority of our recent UPS people left packages down below, rather than taking them to the door and ringing the bell, like they're supposed to. Back in the day, we had to sign off for stuff; I guess UPS changed that. My hubby had to finally get a box at a UPS Store for his important parts for work. :-/

Sometimes Amazon delivery folks would leave stuff down below, sometimes they'd take it up and ring (and walk away, without confirming anyone was home); couldn't predict it. :-/

We had to look out for each other, until finally the managers did that ominous "placing notices under doors" bit, but this one was good news: the owner of the place had finally gotten wind of this and had launched formal complaints and investigations with all the delivery companies and the USPS. Things have gotten better since, but it's not perfect. :-/

And the new guy is still apparently incapable of sorting mail for the individual slots by size... X-P

Uwk
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

(for those 1-2 folks in Outer Slobvokia who might not know: Jon Pertwee = 3rd Doctor, my hubby's first :D; Tom Baker = 4th Doctor, mine ;->)

Yeah, it's annoying when amusement parks aren't a la carte; even Disneyland back in the day, you had to pay something at the door, but then you got a "book" of variously ranked tickets, A (for the stinky, wussy kiddie rides that wouldn't excite a toddler) through to E, for the most popular, awesome rides. It was always a lottery as to what all you'd get in a book, but I think if you paid extra, you had a better chance at more "E tickets" (which is where that by-now probably obscure phrase comes from ;->). It was a while back, so I don't remember too clearly as to details. :-/

My mom was very much of the "wind 'em up and let 'em go" school; went to see the very first Star Wars movie (Ep. IV) for my 13th birthday (omg, I am so dating myself... :p), me and five other kids...matinee, kid prices (she didn't care about some "stupid science fiction claptrap," so didn't go in with us), but we still managed to get the six of us in for $12, total (we smuggled in food and drinks). ;->

Uwk
    who still remembers the delightful phrase, "Go out and play until dinnertime." Happy days, lots of exercise. :)
  4. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Confusion about the old Disney ticket books, here, this site has an explanation, and has pictures of long gone rides.

https://www.yesterland.com/

The Carnival that came to our small town for the 4th of July week had a small entrance fee, and rides and games were ala-cart. Might be where my mother got the idea from.
  5. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I was never a Dr Who person. My mother loved it and so did my brother. My mother from the very first doctor forward, my brother from Mr Pertwee forward. I did however love Monty Python and still do. I love most of the British sitcoms, like Keeping Up Appearances, Last of the Summer Wine, As Time Goes By, Are You Being Served, Ab Fab, and so many others. I am still thinking of subscribing to that Britbox service, probably has better tele than all the cable and DISH services combined.

On another note, I cannot stand Benny Hill or Mr Bean.
  6. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

As Time Goes By is my absolute favorite; I love watching the photos change on the intro. LOL

I also love Alistair - he never gives up!
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

From what I've seen of Mr. Bean (heh!), he's okay, but yeah, Benny never really appealed. ;->

I'm tempted to get Britbox, too. Most of the Netflix things we both like watching include the Great British Bake-Off, among others. And while we'll always get the New Who on DVD or Blu-Ray (Old Who is still a wee bit pricey), it'd still be cool to watch them "live," as it were. :)

Uwk
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, it's an awesome link! :)

Uwk
    who'd been on the Adventures in Inner Space ride (yeah, kind of creepy), the Circlevision Theater, America Sings!, and a host of other stuff since the late 60s :D
  9. Geroblue Well-Known Member

10. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

It is almost here!!! Tomorrow is the day we begin the SUMMER ROAD TRIP 2019!!!!

Saturday, 20 July 2019, we will be departing the DBG Studios to check in at our Virtual 5 Star Resort and Spa and then depart for the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral in Florida for MOON DAY!!! We have VIP Tickets for the entire celebration which begins at 9 am.

Then from Sunday through Tuesday we have park hopper passes for Disney Parks, we can visit any of the Disney Parks as much as we wish. A welcome pack will be in your hotel room upon check in on Saturday.

From Wednesday through Friday, we have park hopper passes for Universal Parks, we can visit any of the Universal Parks as much as we wish. A welcome pack will be in your hotel room upon check in on Saturday.

I will go into more detail on these tomorrow morning. I am just giving you a bit of a teaser today.

See you all bright and early tomorrow morning at the DBG studios. Don't forget to press your RSVP button so the Cabana Boys are at your doorstep first thing in the morning. Some of our "guests" have been auto-RSVP'd *grins snarkily*.
  11. Geroblue Well-Known Member

RSVP ! I am RSVPing today !
  12. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

No they haven't. They RSVP'd no.
  13. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

That wasn't an option on their invitation, sorry!!
  14. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

*runs in out of breath*

Good Morning SUMMER ROAD TRIPPERS!!!!

How is everybody enjoying the Moon Day Festivities at the Kennedy Space Center? Sorry I am a bit late, but we had a few late RSVPs and a few "guests" that had to be tracked (the Cabana boys do not have any tracking skills), but I believe everybody is here now!! If anybody else needs or wants to come a bit later, the Cabana boys can go and get them.

I had these little red button things made for us by the Imagineers at Epcot during our break, I know they look like the Easy Button for Staples, but they will allow you to go back to where the Cabana Boys picked you up this morning and then have the Cabana Boys bring you back to the trip, in case you need to pop home for something. We can set our time delays if need be so you do not miss anything while you are gone. *passes out the little red button things to all the ROAD TRIPPERS except for the "guests"*

The celebrations today at Cape Canaveral go on until 4 pm EDT. Then we will head back to our Virtual 5 Star Resort and Spa. I have booked us cocktail hour at 6 pm and dinner at 7 pm. Then we have the rest of the evening to relax and just chit chat or sleep and get ready for our Disney Park Hopper Passes. All the Disney Parks are open to us at 6 am for Breakfast with Mickey if you so choose. We do have access to the People Movers from this hotel. Remember there are welcome packets in your rooms for both Disney and Universal that explain exactly what we have access to.

This is a great start to our SUMMER ROAD TRIP!!!! Thanks Uwkete for thinking of starting 2 days earlier and coming to Kennedy Space Center on Moon Day!!
  15. Breanna Well-Known Member

I love, love, love the space center. Do you think we'll meet any actual aliens? I've always wanted to go off into space, it would be so cool, sitting up there looking back down at Earth.
  16. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

poor ttobey , but your missing out on good fun .

here are some things to maybe see in Texas everything is" bigger and better" in this place so there is sooooo much to see and do and I am not even mentioning the amusement parks , well besides one , but it does not really matter .

Austin:
    Museum of weird ( ttobey probably thinks we should all be in there)
    Museum of Natural and Artificial Ephemerid.
    Cathedral of Junk ( structure comprised out of junk .
    Congress Bridge and it's inhabitance the worlds biggest colony of bats in a urban setting.1.5 millions.
    Hamilton Pool
    Toy Joy ( ( full of vintage and weird toys , they have a large collection of my little kitty toys it's just scary.
    Ms. Pearl ( the worlds largest squirrel statue with a pecan the size of your head in it's paws.) residing in front of
    near by Berdoll Pecan candy & gift Co.
    Mueller Sun Flowers ( solar panels in the shape of giant flowers.)
    Mayfield park ( filled with filled with peacocks and hens.)
    Sparky Park ( former substation , now home for eccentric junk art.)
    Moonlight towers ( tall towers to light the city , to discourage crime )
    Casa Neverlandia ( unique design)
    The Bottle House ( an unusual house in an unusual neighborhood)
    Yippee Ki Yay Stick work Sculptures ( interesting what you can do with sticks).

Houston:
    National Museum of Funeral History
    Buffalo Park Cistern ( underground cool place to meditate .)
    Art Car Museum ( lots of imagination used to change cars into art.
    Eclectic Menagerie Park ( massive steel monsters )
    The orange Show ( all about oranges , art refreshments and other stuff )
    Beer Can House.
    Museum of health and Medical Science ( giant body parts)
    The Wild Collection ( inspired by Oskar Wilde and Edgar Allen Poe.)
    1940 Air Terminal Museum
    Smither Park ( filled with mosaics created by over 300 people.
    the worlds longest carwash
    the Maritime Museum ( models and other presentations of boats and ships )
    Katy:
    Forbidden Gardens ( scale models of the terra cotta warriors and the Forbidden City) .

Waco:
    Mammoth Site
    Dr. Pepper Museum
    the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum

Dallas:
    Texas Centennial Art Deco Buildings historic Fair Park
    Adrian E. Flatt , M. D. , Hand Collection ( hand casts of famous people )
    Eye Sculpture ( if you think those gazers are scary )
    The Traveling Man ( sculpture)

more to come later , this was hard work to look up all this places and this is not even half of the stuff that's interesting.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

/bow :D

Sorry I wasn't available earlier; was too busy celebrating the day! Then spending the rest of the evening regretting something I'd ingested somehow... X-P

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I love how one of the bigger "housekeeping" chores they had on the Space Shuttle was wiping off all the hand and face prints from the inside of the windows, especially the ones turned toward Earth. :)

Uwk
    who loves how every person that's gone up to at least orbit comes back an avowed environmentalist :D
    Breanna likes this.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Breanna likes this.
  20. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I said at an earlier time , I am not posting the obvious, like the Alamo , or Mission Control.
    I am trying to find places less known
    near Austen :
    Cedar Creek:, Pecan pie vending machines near Ms. Pearl the giant squirrel.( fresh home made pies every day)
    Hamilton Pool a beautiful round natural pool created after the ceiling of a cave collapsed occasionally this place has a waterfall .

St Antonio:
    Bracken Cave ( the largest summer colony of bats in the world)
    Barney Smith's Toilet Seat Art Museum
    The Quadrangle ( military fort filled with wildlife
    Buckhorn Saloon and Museum ( place elaborately decorated with what else Buck horns.)
    Japanese Tea Garden ( a very beautiful place with meandering paths through a former quarry.
    designed by a Japanese couple how were send to prison camp during world war 2)
    Mission San Jose( 300 years of Spanish colonial history )
    Largest Virgin Mary Mosaic in the world ( in the shape of the largest votive candle in the world with flame on top.
    U.S. Army Medical Department Museum
    Worlds largest Cowboy Boots
    Rosita's Bridge
    Chris Park ( dedicated by a mother who lost her son)
    Grave of Pat the horse
    Mc Nutt Sculpture Garden
    Old time Wooden Nickel Company ( woodworking museum)
    Saint Hedwig : near St Antonio
    Woman Hollering Creek ( if you enjoy a good ghost story and want to hear the ghost of a mother who supposedly killed her children and now is doomed to find them near the creek where they all died.) maybe you get lucky and you can hear her calls
    now here is the only amusement park I am posting here
    The Kiddie Park ( supposedly the oldest amusement park in the U.S.
    Fiesta Tower , Central Library ( tall colorful glass sculpture looking like balloons)
    St. Therese of Lisieux Painting (the painting was created by the saints own sister and is hung up in " the Basilica of the Shrine of thee Little Flower .)
    Institute of the Texan Cultures Museum ( interesting exhibit of all cultures that came together from around the world to shape Texas . one of the French pieces is the Castroville Hearse)
    L-Bird Flying Museum
    Ingram :
    Stonehenge 2 replica of Stonehenge in the middle of a field of Easter Island Moai heads.
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.