Rolling a tank

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Hechada, May 9, 2018.

1. The Fonz Active Member

ummm... you said, " what a tanks DPS can do is irrelevant....always has been, prob always will be..."
    You didn't say that a tank shouldn't be able to do t1 DPS, you said their DPS is irrelevant. Then you question how I "got to that"?
    Dude likes this.
  2. slica Active Member

The dps being irrelevant comment was referring to which tank is the best, survivability n that ****..you kno what a tank needs to be able to do in a raid setting...u don’t need to have high dps to hold agro...my zerker doesn’t have an epic or anything and can hold agro off high dps in heroics...........and the tank shouldn’t be able to do t1’ dps was towards the person who posted above you...
  3. Earar Well-Known Member

If tanks can do T1 dps, well that's a bonus. What they should or shouldn't do is irrelevant .. what is relevant is what they can do right now.

and right now some tanks are T1 dps or close to it

and that's why they are way on top of the list, whether u like it or not
  4. Slowfast New Member

You're right with your statement that you can do it right now, but let's face it, it's not the sense of a tank to do the main dps. The task of the tank is to keep the aggro and eat the damage that comes in, and sorry you do not need to keep the dps around Agro this was introduced with the whole fail mechanic which is now irreversible.

This story just started with Kunark Ascending before, a tank did not really have to make Dps they could do it in their own way but not like now, which makes the whole classes balance or the balance of stats broken we are at that level and where each time discussions
    climb.

If you can see it then why do you need a tank why do not we let EQ2 go straight to a Japanese MMO style all classes get skills with multiple functions and done so you can play everything neutrally.
    I think it's a pity that all the old mechanic has been broken because certain people are not able to get that class balance straight.

I say it so the classes should stay what they are that means.

Tank is tank with max Def Stances and Specials
    Healer is healer wtih
    all the specials in healing cures and wards

DD
    should be a damage dealer with specials of his abilities we take Dots Poisons or other damage types.

Support should clearly be a buffbot with special abilities, as it increases damage output or the group's abilities, and it clearly allows them to boost their abilities and dmg with them.

That would be the meaning of EQ2 or what the Mechanic was one, unfortunately we will not see them anymore and therefore we get to your point so it is necessary that tanks for example now have to do DMG and do it, which makes no real sense , The problem is only without all these functions we could not tackle the current zones either heroic raid or solo content because it would take too long, and thus the fun was lost.
  5. Sounson Active Member

This forum always feels like a bunch of freshmen in high school telling me all about how the world works. It's just noise from the kids.
    Revanu likes this.
  6. Dude Well-Known Member

7. Earar Well-Known Member

didn't start with KA.

tanks could be high on parse before. I remember our guard in RoK being really high on parse. So saying tanks should just focus on being sturdy isn't true for a long time

but there's always the guys who think tanks are only there to take damage while others think fighters should also deal damage

I guess it's a talk that is as old as the game.

point is, as long as you can survive, focus on dps, it will help everybody. being too tanky won't prevent u to get killed anyway.
  8. Boli Active Member

I think Ascension abilities and procs are more a problem for tank DPS than Dragonfire. Dragonfire just happens to be one of the few fighter abilities which actually scaled in line (and in some ways surpassing) T1 DPS spells

As Ascension abilities were shared between all the classes they *had* to be scaled against T1 DPS spells - anything less and they would be deemed a failure and never used. In the same way damage procs *had* to be rated on the same scale no-one is going to put all their 'dkp' into getting a new item with a proc on which is meaningless; as some procs in previous expansions turned out to be.

Everything is rated on the same T1 DPS scale.... but Tanks they are not T1 and with the 'autoattack cap' Ascension abilities and procs make up the vast majority of their DPS.

An assasin could net a perfect cast order and increase their DPS.
    A paladin could net a perfect cast order and.... it would not matter one bit as much as if Levinbolt went for a legendary or mythical Crit.

Damage procs on items have always been an issue - either meaningless (TSF, KoS, EoF) or too much (TSO,CoE); but in order to show on the parse of the billions they need to be fairly large; unfortuanlly this distorts the parse on the bottom end of the scale; in fact when I get home I'll remove all damage procs and do a solo parse without using ascension abilities; I suspect I will not be able to break 100mil DPS.

Its a shame the way ascension abilities ended up - when I first heard of them I was hoping for more of a boosts and buffs to base class spells in the same way AA worked rather than straight nukes which at their cast speed make it problematic to cast whlist tanking.

For example Levinbolt could have just been: "Increase base damage output of the following spells by 5/10/15/20/25/30%", this ability will deal additional damage if an ability enhanced by wildfire has bene used in the last 3 seconds."

The differences between the ascension clases would be which spells would be enhanced and which group temp buffs they provide. Ahhh well you can dream :p
  9. Revanu Well-Known Member

can someone remind me what the topic of this thread was?
  10. Earar Well-Known Member

how to troll in a fighter thread ?
  11. Kabbe Member

I give it a try:
    Hechada, All tanks are viable.
    Fun to play (my opinion) Zerker, SK, Monk (pally) are all fairly fun to play in heroics.
    Monk is (in my opinion) safest bet for a new player. If you are an more advanced player you might have more fun playing something else (I difference "skill" and "knowledge" once you know a class it is pretty much same level, my opinion)

Anyway to get started: AA: Just copy any main monk from a top guild.
    From thread you might have gathered that Dragonfire is a must have it is only version you get at lvl 108 that mathers try focus on getting this up quick.
    Get epic 2.0 very handey and temp buff is essential if wanna get those bragging parses people like to post.
    For ascension I would prob pick elementalist it synergies well with dragonfire on paper. Etheralist and Thauma are also viable options.
    Good luck and have fun.
  12. Sounson Active Member

That was the most passive aggressive monk-hate I have ever read. At least Dannni and Kielex attack head on.
  13. Kabbe Member

My post?
    If thats the case either I write poorly or you read between the lines what is not there.
    Maybe you think I am wrong about the keypoints or that I should have written them differently.
    Last expansion I would have said Zerker as best pick.
  14. The Fonz Active Member

Nothing passive aggressive in his post. Someone is a little hypersensitive to their op class.
  15. Earar Well-Known Member

Kabbe's main is monk ... why would he be aggressive about this class ?

I guess it's because u like to be the center of attention
  16. Revanu Well-Known Member

17. Dannni Active Member

Posting in here puts you in the firing line... friendly fire was inevitable. Character assassination is all they got
  18. Drona Well-Known Member

If I am main Monk, I would actually be worried about OPness of dragon fire. One nerf or even a bug, there goes most of my DPS out of the window specifically given how long it takes to get anything changed/fixed in EQ2!
  19. maxximum Active Member

DPS is a luxury for a tank. No raid leader ever chewed a tank out for not dpsing enough, unless it directly leads to not holding aggro of course, and if a heroic group is failing because of the tanks dps, then the real, actual dps is failing hard. As I said, I'll probably go back to bruiser if dragonfire gets nerfed, assuming my raid leader allows it, and I'll carry on tanking just fine. I don't even have ACT most of the time, and certainly not in raid. It seems that having a bunch of stuff open crashes my pc so I just get on with my job and don't see any numbers. Some fights I'm tempted to ask my group to post the parse, but it would slow things down and a tank really should be focused on the job at hand.

'We wiped, but at least the tank topped the parse. . .' said no raid leader ever.
  20. Drona Well-Known Member

Some people claims monk are t1 dps. I am sure some raid leader some where is factoring that into their raid setup and guild recruitment policy. You can argue the raid leader is an idiot but thats no comfort to the monk who got recruited because he was t1 dps and got dragon fire nerfed!