Rolling a tank

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Hechada, May 9, 2018.

1. Revanu Well-Known Member

if those are your numbers compared to equally geared dps toons, then those equally geared tonos are terrible at their class.
  2. maxximum Active Member

The only time I've had problems with aggro in the last 6 months was this week when I had to tank a raid mob that constantly memwipes and forces me back to the bottom of the hate list. Last night I was off tanking for a much better geared zerker, maybe even the best geared tank in the game, and just from using basic combat arts, ie no ascensions or dragonfire, I had to stop casting frequently to avoid grabbing aggro. I doubt it really matters what tank class you roll if you're not planning to raid anyway. The only reason I went from bruiser to monk after 9 years was because the thought of humiliating t1 dps was irresistible lol. If dragonfire ever gets nerfed, I'll probably go straight back to bruiser tbh.
  3. maxximum Active Member

Far from it, and as I said, they are all better geared. You have to bear in mind that as the tank, everything is run at my pace. I can time my temps, keep moving and pulling when it suits me, and the rest of the group has to work around me. That, and dragonfire is beyond broke. If I time my temps, I'm at 400 fervor, 120k potency, broke dragonfire hitting at max damage on a bunch of mobs. No class can match that, or even get close to it regardless of gear.
  4. chakka New Member

What exactly is dragon fire doing?
  5. maxximum Active Member

It's a ticking DoT that hits something like 8-10 targets over 6 seconds with an obscene amount of damage. It's been broke this expac because unlike all other spells and combat arts which received a small upgrade from the previous tier at lvl cap 100, dragonfire is hitting for something like 15 times as much as the previous tier. It also has a 57% chance to reset when another partcular combat art is used (that has a 15 second recast time).

This is one sample of it on a *single target*, and there's another half page of it that I couldn't fit in from just 1 cast over a 6 second period:

[IMG]
  6. maxximum Active Member

This is probably a better example in a multi-mob fight, just a sample of 1 second and I couldn't fit a load more hits in:

[IMG]
  7. chakka New Member

Haha wow that is impressive. Will they nerf that back to normal at some point?
  8. Revanu Well-Known Member

sk is the same thing but more buttons. its 6 vs half a dozen in terms of whos better. Monks are better defensively and provide more defensive utility defensively via intercept/winds/outward calm and SK offer more offensively with deathmarch (given it doesn't lag out the raid) the fervor temp and spell Base boost.

proverbial *** for tat debate
  9. maxximum Active Member

Everyone knows how broke it is, but there doesn't seem to be any desire to fix it so it will probably stay broke until the next expac. As I said before, I was tanking on bruiser just fine until I saw how much dps my monk guildie was pumping out and I wanted a taste lol. I don't know how SK's stack up against monks these days, but I remember Simpala embarrassing t1 dps on his SK back in the day if he had all his temps up.
  10. Sounson Active Member

Dannni must be afk rolling a monk or PMing devs crying, but I'll fill in for her: "If you want to play with no skill then roll a monk, if you want to play a class that requires extreme skill then roll a SK like me! Only I alone am good at this game."
    Meneltel likes this.
  11. Dannni Active Member

Exactly. Im not saying SK is difficult, only monk is the far easier because its much less buttons to click.

No no, most classes are not that skillful only monk is one of the easiest. Just saying it like it is
  12. Revanu Well-Known Member

13. Dannni Active Member

Lol you said it yourself Revanu. Its less buttons
  14. Revanu Well-Known Member

I elucidated on the pros/cons of what is currently the most viable tank option and what those 2 in particular provide. In no way do we need a salt enriched debate about why you hate monks or whatever it is that you always seem to go on tangents about.

bottom line is this:

Zerk/sk/monk all are within the same scope ofone another.

They are all top tier as far as current game play tanking
  15. Dannni Active Member

I dont hate anyone, monks included. All that the developers need to do is boost all of monks abilities to compensate for a reduction in dragonfire. Im happy for monks to do even more dps than they are doing now but no one in their right mind can think its good for the game that a class can almost be reduced to one spell.

Its insulting to the players. The developers are saying they think the player base is stupid by dumbing down the game and making it easier and easier.
  16. Slowfast New Member

It's not always the Dev's fault but people like you who have to cry every time because a spell is too strong.
    Learning to accept it and also the occasional monk is parsing you out should not really say anything about it anymore.
    If you switched to `` Unreal` ', your character has also gotten worse, but that brings this guild along with many indifferent players and calls itself a gene that has developed unreally for years.
    whine at the highest level but learn Nothing.

Every tank class has its pros and cons and everyone plays on a level as long as the player masters and plays this class well, there are guardians and other tanks that can do a lot of dmg, it is a matter of how much content and time you are in
    invest your char or can.

It's not because spells are powerful, it's simply because too many stats have come about and they have to be taken back by a reasonable class balance.
    However, there will be a problem in this view they will have to change a lot, be it the AA skill the Spell Combarts or Stats or even the gear.
    This can no longer implement this team in this small format which is a task for several people.
    Everquest 2 is not what it used to be anymore and more and more it's going to be a 10-20 spell game where eventually there will be several combos if it continues like this.
    The thing started with Ascension Spells and so it will end and go further, the actual mechanic will die out.

And take it as it is and play the game as long as it is still on the market and crying not every time around the Monk so a stolen strong spell this alone does not make the class from it belongs more to it.
    And I see the point of view as a tank player and also play several tanks, and I see it as a neutral business because this animates because trade and to develop and get more out of its class.
    To put it more competitively, the business revives and there are not many good tanks, and especially Thurgadin does not have a lot of good tanks.
  17. slica Active Member

Guardian is still the best tank if played correctly, that hasn’t changed...what a tanks dps can do is irrelevant....always has been, prob always will be...
  18. Earar Well-Known Member

Tank dps isn’t irrelevant

If tank can dps, less boring and may be able to solo/duo heroics
    If tank can dps, means he can ask for buffs :)
    If tank can dps, he relies less on others
    If tank can dps, he’ll be more wanted than a sturdy dps lacking tank

Right now on my monk i can tank almost everything in off stance. boosting my potency and so my dps. On some fights with all temps used i can compete with T1 dps. It’s an awesome feeling.
    In raid i can play monk as dps without bring a dead weight
    I know my monk can do heroics with a small group and not just as a meat shield
    I am less picky on group members coz i know my monk can carry the group if needed

All that makes the game experience much better on monk than bruiser, without loosing defense.

It’s like healers or support. If 2 tanks do thrir job well, u want the one who does most dps. Not the overdefensive one
  19. The Fonz Active Member

Are you saying that DPS has nothing to do with keeping agro? Kinda the tank's main job.
    Dude likes this.
  20. slica Active Member

I don’t see how you got that lol but no...
    A tank shouldn’t be able to do t1’s dps...that’s not their role...