Rolling a Guardian: advice

Discussion in 'Guardian' started by ARCHIVED-Kelypto, Sep 19, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Dreadpatch Guest

based on my extensive experience playing this game, I would say that Guardians are currently behind the curve as far as a tank class goes. They seem to have a lot of trouble in aoe situations, which is fairly important for heroic content since people expect you to pull more than one mob at a time. Finding a raid spot as a tank is EXTREMELY difficult. I'm guessing they will get some love next expansion, so it might be good to level one now.
  2. ARCHIVED-Kordran Guest

Elusion@Nektulos wrote:
    That's true regardless of the particular fighter class. When you look around at what raiding guilds are recruiting for, almost universally what they don't need are more fighters.
    As for "love next expansion", I suspect Guardians have already gotten the bulk of their love in the previouis update. The remaining changes I've read about seem pretty minor, but then again, the other plate tanks are getting nothing (we all get the mitigation % nerf, of course). Even the idea of fixing the nerf to the Paladin's heals also seems to be off the table, or at least it's not even being discussed any longer.
    They seem to be focusing a lot more on DPS classes this round and not so much specifically with tanks or healers (i.e.: Illusionists, Conjurors, etc. are supposed to be getting some significant love, and there will be the melee changes as well).
  3. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

We already got our love (dev attention), don't expect more with expansion.
    Honestly with whats going on in beta, I'll be surprised if half of us are even here post expansion.
  4. ARCHIVED-Lathain_Sarathai Guest

Like someone already say Guardian are fine. (it's other fighter who need to have dps nerfed, like priest... the stats consolidation was really poorly done) I was berserker and i betrayed to Guardian, I m a tank, and i absolutly dont sacrifice any bit of tanking for a small increase of Dps, I m full defensive tank, something a berserker cant understand, and it's impressive how indestructible a real defensive guardian is in group, And in defensive stance i dont have any trouble to keep agro from people hitting 20 times harder than me, in fact they could hit 100 time harder i could even old aggro in def stance, most of time they have 2% of aggro. I really dont understand people thinking they NEED be in dps for hold aggro, it's totaly not true. (adornement +x hate gain help too, and all AA) For AA setup, Warrior Str 4-4-10 Agi 4-10-8-1 Sta 4-4-4-0-0-2 Wis 0-0-0-0-8 Int 8-4-4-1-8 Guardian 100pts the 4 endline and last man standing (absorb 7 hit every 4 min) Shadows general , 0-0-0-5-0-5-0-0 fighter : 5-0-0-0-0-5-1 Warrior : 0-0-0-5-0-5-1 Guardian : 0-5-0-0-5-5-1-1 Gear every item is defensive item, the legendary belt from rare name (Blet of resiliance) is a must have, stonewill, lifetap, mitigation increase... never take item with just hast, dps, or damage proc. Or at the end you ll lose some survivability, it's the tank path. The only real problem for a guardian is the power, when you run out of power you are dead. I m a group tank, no raid gear, i can solo name in the hole without trouble, some of them dont do me any damage, and i love that.
  5. ARCHIVED-dellaripa Guest

Lathain_Sarathai wrote:
    Sadly, while I don't disagree with your AA setup, I've come to the conclusion that, even if we could fill up every single AA, we'd still de 1/4 the class as the other plate tanks. There is no AA combination that will change that.
  6. ARCHIVED-Lathain_Sarathai Guest

While i agree guardian is the badest tank class atm.
    But i still think guardian is fine...
    It's Other tanks, and Healer who need a serious nerf, i always feel so wrong than a full dps class like ranger or wizard dont do the double or x4 of the dps of a tank or a healer. It's just so wrong.
    Every dps and class should hit LOT harder than tank and healer. (dps>>>utility>>tanks>heals)
    People who ask for tank and do better dps or close dps than a dps class ... it's so wrong.
    So put a defensive stance with almost no dps at all (like guardian are atm), but very strong def
    and an offensive stance, where you die if you are hit, but with serious dps. It should not be allowed to tank while in offensive stance AND doing good dps (like other tanks can do) Offensive stance should mean mob hit you every time !
  7. ARCHIVED-dr4gonUK Guest

Im not going to argue about the berserkers survivability edge over the guard, or its better dps thanks to 100% ae. Nor am i going to dispute the sk's ridiculous dps advantage.
    But my guard can tank anything they can tank.
  8. ARCHIVED-kelvmor Guest

One thing that Guardians still have: We're still better than monks.
  9. ARCHIVED-Raahl Guest

As long as you have a group of friends that need a tank you should be fine. While the Guardian class is currently the lowest on the plate tank scale, they are capable of tanking for group. You just may need your DPS classes to minimize going full bore DPS, especially at the beginning of encounters.
    Solo a guardian can be quite painfull at times. Where other tank classes can burn through higher con'd mobs and even take out heroics, guardians fall woefully short.
    To compete you'll need to get the best equipment and grind AA.
    As far as AA's goes I have nothing extra to add.
  10. ARCHIVED-Legion2024 Guest

So Guards have not been fixed yet are are still behind the ball game. In other words still not worth resubing again. Pitty Sony should get thier act together and sort out the classes. If they did i know 35players right now that would resub.
  11. ARCHIVED-Aven Elonis Guest

I stopped played my 80 Guardian 2.5 years ago - but will see what the toon is like now with the F2P (and yeah I did unlock the gear on him).
    Also have a 60 Dirge, a 61 Coercer and a 55 Fury with treasured gear that I played for laughs and giggles.
    Avenn 80 Guardian Human
  12. ARCHIVED-kelvmor Guest

Still having aggro problems. At level 81, the other day, in full 70-80 Legendary gear with a sword and board, got my aggro ripped by a level 76 mage merc.
  13. ARCHIVED-Aven Elonis Guest

To be fair - the swashy merc was pulling aggro on me with Improved Moderation, etc etc on him until I got to 90, and then he didn't. But the way I figure it, if he died, better him than me :)
    Now I be using a Inquis merc from Freeport and can clear zones now I couldn't with a DPS merc.
    Aven 90 Guardian
  14. ARCHIVED-Plaguemeister Guest

Legion2024 wrote:
    Guardians kick (hind end) right now in pve and in grp pvp (they have always been good in grp pvp) - you were looking at 1 year old threads.
    Other 2 posters - add hate adorns to your wrists and gloves for increased hate generation. The mercs are mentored down 90's so if your only wearing legendary they are going to be OP to you.
  15. ARCHIVED-Pattywak Guest

Remember that Mercs are similar to a 90 player mentored when you're lower than 90, they should be ripping agro, especially the DPSers.
  16. ARCHIVED-Mohee Guest

Reading through all these posts (and yes I know some of them are kinda old) makes me a little sad. Maybe a lot of the people who try a guardian, or group with one, get unlucky and get stuck with a bad one (or are bad at playing it).
    I take a lot of pride in my guardian, and have built him to be a great tank. My AA's i've gone full defensive. I still seem to hold aggro just fine against our guilds 200k+ dps parsing Beastlord. Groups, or raids, he doesn't take a whole lot of damage, and holds aggro just fine.
    Any young guardians out there that care to take a look at my AA set up, please feel free. Although since Skyshrine I do plan on changing my end-line in the heroic tree to Unshakable Grip.
    My Guard

Please feel free to send me any PM's with questions. :)