Returning to the game, needs a few tips.

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by WhiteTk0, Sep 13, 2020.

1. WhiteTk0 New Member

Greetings travelers!
    I didn't played like 10+ years and wanted to comeback.
    Have a few questions.

1) Is there any bonuses/gifts for comebackers?

2) Last addon ive buyed was Kingdom of Sky, i believe. Is it necessary to buy more addons right now for me? Later? Which, in this case? Is there a discount/packets for multiple addons?

3) Which class should i choice? Im expienced MMO player in general, and was hardcore player in everquest's 1-2 in particular.
    The reqs to class are:
    a) Fast solo (or maybe sometimes duo) progression.
    b) Demanded in guild\raids\goups
    c) Strong at solo farm.
    d) not a healer
    A small number of players playing this class will be a bonus.
    P.s. always wanted to try necromanser or bard- score them from zero to ten with above condition.

4) Which server should i play? I.e. friendly to "newcomers" , have good population and a few mighty recruting guilds. Timezone doesnt matter.

5) Which guild are currently top-1? Who's their closest rivals?

6) Where can i find guides for fast leveling, character guides, raid guides, etc?

7) Is there still UI addons available? Where do i get them, if so?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Nazy Well-Known Member

1) All your veteran rewards from all those many years. /claim to check.

2) You should have all the expacs until 100... Ask someone who knows the names.

3)
    a) SK, Summoner, or Rogue, maybe Warden.
    b) Rogues (Swash/Brig) are big for their debuffs in raids, decent DPS in groups, and can solo well. They're the tankiest scout.
    c) SK
    d) SK, Summoner, Rogue
    Yep, not a lot of Rogues out there.
    Necro 1-10 scale is about 8 or 9 solo, 7ish group. Can't say for raids.
    Bards 1-10 scale are about 2-3 solo, 9 group, 10 raids.

4) Skyfire, Maj'Dul, or AB for live (Come join us on Skyfire!) or TLE.

5) Depends on server. I think there's leaderboards somewhere...

6) Search "(character name) solo/character/raid guide

7) Yes, you can download interfaces. Sigrdrifa will be more helpful with this question.

Sorry for the rushed pos, I'll get back on you for some of the finer points.

Welcome back!
    Hartsmith likes this.
  3. WhiteTk0 New Member

Thank you for your patience and time.
    Thouse rewards will be claimed immidiately to currient character? Or it will open a dialogue window wich i can chancel and open later?
    Also, thouse rewards are for just being date-registered. Is there any gifts for players whos back after long pause?
    The last project i played - i played rogue, so i would choice something else, preferably.
    As far as i remember, SK is pretty hard to find the slot in raid (or even guild), because one-two is more than enought. With same reason i should skip a Summoner, unfortunately.
    If possible, if there is no more character options, except already listed above, i would like to have more talks/facts/opinions about pluses and minuses @Necro and bard (troubadour?) at leveling them and rading after.
    I have my old lvl 54 barb guardian at Thurgadin, whats about this server? Also, what profit can i dig from that character, if i merely decide start a new one on that server?
    Obviously i can use some platinum, but i see there is alot of game changes and there maybe some shards or something else like that (im kinda confused how to explain, but i think you get the point) that i could transfer to another character?

I a specially looking for UI mods, wich would increase size of text and other elements like announcement, journal text, item description and etc. Im playing 3440x1440 and currient picture make my eyes bleed.

Thanks alot, once again!
  4. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

When you type /claim, it doesn't matter which character you are on. It will open a window that will show you everything that can be claimed on your account, whether it is Veteran Reward or expac item. Just take note of which ones say "one per character" versus '1 remaining". The latter being one per account, though if I recall correctly, those are labeled "Heirloom" which means you can deposit it into your shared bank if you want to transfer to a different character.
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Nazy Well-Known Member

Correct. I think they're No-Trade items.

For UI, I can't help much.

Thurgadin is the EU server and is still up. Your character should still be there.
    Guardian struggles by themself but does great in a group or raid. Often MT for raids.

Characterwise, Bards and Enchanters are always wanted in raids.
    Enchanters solo better than bards with CC. But play whatever appeals to you!

Whoop, great spelling, me.
    Hartsmith likes this.
  6. Nazy Well-Known Member

On the Necro and Bard leveling to raids, Necro can level fast, Bard is squishy but has reasonable DPS. Troub is slow. I haven't played a Dirge yet.

Bard has a higher chance of being taken for a raid and if you have access to Mercs then I'd suggest a bard. Necro is an adept soloer and Mercs make them better but have less of a chance to be taken in raids because there are so many Necros.
    Hartsmith likes this.
  7. WhiteTk0 New Member

Thank you, will pay attention to this aspect.

Is there any class charter, so i can find out how popular this or another class on specific server?

About fast leveling.
    A nice person gave me some advice tho discord, but maybe you can add to the list below:
    • 1 to 85 takes a couple hours with a merc in agnostics (pull all kobolds in stygian threshold, kill then repeat. dont worry about other mobs in there.) . Not all agnostics give good xp, so be careful.
    • 90 to 100 is still the worst, grind highhold (with help) or do shattered seas timelines
    • 100-110 can ONLY be done by doing the PoM sig line. Not possible to do it any other way
    • 110-120 takes about 30 minutes. Do repeatable quests in the blinding and get to 120 before starting sig line.
    So, long story short:
    1) Paying subs, buying BoL
    2) Buying merc
    3) Find a guild for rust bonus exp
    4) Clam all of veteran bonus ( i have maximal, 12 year rewards)
    5) Follow the zones listed above italic font
    6) Saving exp pots till 85
    Grind to 120.

Since necro gonna level much faster due to his dps (atleast i think so) I decided to level necro from scratch and use boost from BoL xpac reward on bard
    In this case, have few sub-questions :
    1) Is there difference wich merc to buy?
    2) What guild level do i need for exp bonus? Is there any other important bonuses for leveling?
    3) Where do i get good familiar and wich one(if they differend)?
    4) Is there anything else to boost exp income, except guild bonus and pots from veterancy? A specially stackable.

Consider all question as marked with "what will be best for necro and what for bard?"

Feel free to share your opinion and dont be shy to unleash the wall of text ; )
  8. Melt Actually plays the game

Just want to say that's almost all wrong, the best way solo would be:

1) Temple of Scale until level 70, which is possible using a second account. The account can be free to play, just register another and make a heroic (free level 100, but can't level up until you pay for it) shadowknight.
    2) Agnostic CoA until level 95, which is sped up using a second account. On the second account SK, you can gather up the whole zone then hit chaos cloud, it'll one shot everything. You're looking at 1-2 levels per run.
    3) High Keep Contested, pick up all drop quests and all wall quests (You'll want eq2maps, just in general) to 100
    4) Plane of Magic timeline
    5) Repeatables in BoL

You can use exp potions the whole way, if you so desire. I'd recommend that.

If you use a second account as listed above, you don't need a merc until endgame, and at that point it's whatever one you'd like for the BoL stat bonus, which isn't relevant to you yet.

Familiars are pay to win. No way around it. The best way, however, is to run the familiar quest in Freeport or Qeynos. You may get lucky and land one from the new wave of em, most likely a treasured or legendary, but better than nothing.

Other questions, it's been so long since I've levelled that I've forgotten. If you've got any further questions I'd be happy to help.
    Nazy likes this.
  9. WhiteTk0 New Member

Thanks for advice, will follow your plan!

What race should i pick for troubador and necromancer?
    Also, can someone link a good guide for thouse please?
    I found some, but they kinda contradict eachother, so im confused.
  10. Dude Well-Known Member

Race is really a personal preference, unless you want a skill that your class usually doesn't have. The link below is for the racial traditions article on ZAM. It will give you an idea of the possibilities, but again ... race doesn't really matter.

https://eq2.zam.com/wiki/Racial_Traditions_(EQ2)
    Breanna likes this.
  11. Rushd Active Member

I play a troub very well and I can tell you we solo fine. Both bards get veil of notes that gives you 20 secs of tank time. Troubs get bagpipe heals as well as a Hot to help solo efforts as well as supporting your raid group. If specced and geared properly, we can solo anything the rouge's can and pretty quickly. Gear, infusing and all the extras mentioned above help dramatically though, so there is some PTW to make it so. Bards are sought after, rouge's not as much IMO. Rouge's def have higher deeps, bards bring better deeps for the grp. Shared buffs are huge, so many classes that don't have that aspect aren't as sought after even if they are rocking that class. If your goal is end game raiding, then I think you may find the bard to be more versatile bc honestly there is only so much room for T1's in a raid force so unless you are better than most you may find yourself sat.

I know on HoF good dirges are hard to come by and there seems to be a shortage....most of the good ones are already taken and I haven't seen many new dirges up and coming out there yet. There seems to be enough troubs, but hard to really say since this time of year attendance seems to drop off. Historically speaking troubs are there for mages and the dirges for tank/scout buffs. But regardless, either bard brings much to the table for everyone since auto attack applies to everyone this expac. Double bard in a grp is sexy AF. However, power feeding is a big commodity and I think the troub soars in this with the Reverb spec, so good troubs normally don't have a hard time finding groups.

As far as a guide for a specific class, my best advice to you is to find the class you want to play and then search out a player through EQ2 players in the better guilds. Guides are usually outdated and stuff that worked even last expac are outdated on this one..... hell even some early stuff has changed mid expac. There are plenty of good players willing to help out returning players, and if troub happens to be your choice you can inbox me and I will help you through discord regardless of the server you decide on.

I'd suggest Darq UI, but like someone else has stated it all about personal preference. Darq seems to be the most up to date and most responsive when things break. Something else I didn't see mentioned that is going to be a MUST for a returning player after 10 years wanting to reach end game raiding.... Get yourself 1 or a few 5 packs of Krono to sell, the plat economy will blow your mind after a 10 year break. You will need a 3rd party UI to sell them at value though. I came back in 16 after 9 year hiatus and thankfully a nice player gifted me a few million back then, now you need a few million just to get 1 master.
  12. Melt Actually plays the game

Funny story about troubs, when my guild cleared PoW my groups chanter had to go to the ER, so I was the sole powerfeed for the group on troub, while also handling a decent bit of scripted parts, Reverberation is just not enough to keep power up, I had to run back and forth between the tanks and our group to use Tap Essence lol, super short range.

I'm a dirge now because rezzing is super good, and their buffs just seem overall better for more people, like when you factor Peal of Battle vs Maestros Harmony, Anthem of War vs Maelstrom of Sound, dirge buffs are just better overall in my experience.

Except JCap. Damn, I miss jcap.
  13. WhiteTk0 New Member

Can you explain details please?
    I formed a group, both character inside temple. But killing with SK doesnt give any exp for my lvl 2 char.
  14. WhiteTk0 New Member

Also says cant mentor "because your heroic character is locked"
  15. Melt Actually plays the game

Hmm, that's right. I guess I'd just do agnostics then, I usually have an second account with an unlocked character to level, recently transferred servers though. I know agnostics work.
  16. WhiteTk0 New Member

1)
    Unlocking is expensive?

Unsolved and still looking for:
    1) Good guide for necromancer. Its not a must to be chew-encyclopedia explaining from scratch to deep. AA, skill rotation and what gear to prioritize - will be enought.
    2) Way how to increase size of ui objects, like health+Mana bars, target and target of target window, quest joyrnal text and etc. Im playing on 34" 3444x1440 and my eyes literally bleed.
    3) Dps metter.

And huge, huge THANKS everyone who already helped. I am really appreciated!
  17. Nazy Well-Known Member

Necro guide:
    Search Eq2 Necro guide and you'll get some good results. That's where I learned Necro from.
  18. Rushd Active Member

Dirge has better buffs overall for more classes bc AA works for everyone now. But Power feeding is so strong on Troub and this expansion can't allow it not to be addressed in a group set up. Tap has a better feed no doubt, but do not kid yourself, Reverb spec only does about 15-20% less than tap on zone wide if we are able to use it effectively and consistently (non ranged). What I don't like about it though, is it's hard to see its gains immediately during play like tap. I've witnessed times when reverb was OP, to not working at all, to now the current nerfed version. Combined with Eth AoM, Tap and Reverb can out feed an illy even in its current state.
  19. WhiteTk0 New Member

Reading this topic lead me to the impression that the troubadour is useless, or atleast much less wanted than dirge and/or other buffer.
    Is it?
  20. Nazy Well-Known Member

Most raids will take a dirge, troub, enchanter, and Brig if they can. Dirges that are 120 are rare on Skyfire compared to Enchanters. I've yet to see a troub though...