Returning shadow knight hate/dps issues

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Drona, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Drona Well-Known Member

Returned to the game couple of months ago after a three years absences. Finally got my epic 2.0 completed few days ago but still got few issues I need help with.

Hate/dps – This is a huge issue when DPS classes starting going well over 5 billion in heroic instances. For the first time ever, me and my pet managed combined dps of 1 billion last night! I have 100% hate gain. How can I improve on this?

I think my dps issues come from the fact that I am not using my ascension skills properly. I am an Etherealist and those spells takes ages to cast so I stopped using them! Normally I start with Ethereal Conduit and Touch Of Magic but by the time these finish casting the mob has turned! How are other people casting these spells faster than me?

I grouped with BL who was parsing well over 7/8 billion and some of the bosses were down to 60/70% hp and I am only getting started! I am sure I am missing trick or two in this area. Are they pre-casting these short terms buffs?

HP – my HP is low even compared to someone with similar gear. I am only rank 3 on runes glory and champion and working towards rank 4. I haven’t really looked into the infusion systems. Is this where I am going wrong in terms of lack of HP? I tried deity infusion one days and it failed like 10 times in a row so gave up!

Here is a link to my character and all help greatly appreciated!

https://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/1301375842186
  2. Dannni Active Member

I would focus on the following:

1. Upgrade your epic spells, apprentice is not going to cut it
    2. Your doublecast is too low. You must get this much higher. PG white runes x 3 = 21%, 1100 casting speed = 37.5%, stormwrought stew food, 4% from crusader AA
    3. Potency, potency, potency
    Drona likes this.
  3. Drona Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I think i will need to work on mats for epic 2 upgrade(seems very low drop rate) and PG DC runes. I grinded PG recently for rune of glory so sick of it for now but will need to do it after a break!
  4. Dannni Active Member

The level 1 PG adorns are a good start as they offer the best 'value' and only cost 10 currency each. Another thing worth mentioning, your AA's have some mistakes in them, some options you have taken give you zero benefit and you missing several essentials.
    Drona likes this.
  5. Dannni Active Member

If you like harvesting you may prefer for the orange adorns to not go into PG and instead get darkstones and 4 essences of magic from plane of magic. For every 2 darkstone you can craft a tome of the planes, transmute it and get a infusion/mana. That way you can for a relatively low cost get the four level 5 adorns.
  6. Drona Well-Known Member

Ah thanks for taking the time to look at my AAs. I am going to copy your AA then! I only do heroic content for now and not raiding yet. So I guess I can go with your "current AA" spec? Thanks
  7. Drona Well-Known Member

Yes thats a good point! I have Glory (4), Championship(4) and witness (5). I am going harvest for the final one.
  8. Tajar Well-Known Member

Infusing does also make a huge difference. I underestimated it myself, but I actually infused my tank the other day and boosted her nearly 8 million hps. That was just plat infusing mostly, and I did not do all of her armour cos she still his some crap pieces I need to upgrade.
  9. Drona Well-Known Member

When you say plat infusion, you mean the one from deity window? For some reason, I tend to fail at that and it was costing huge amount of money for nothing!
  10. Mathafern Well-Known Member

Always best to not just copy someone's AA- read through and make sure it makes sense with your current gear level, adornments, and casting order as well. It takes time but it can be well worth it when you identify points that just don't make sense for you.

Plat infusing costs more the more you do it on a single item. If plat is an issue, you'll want to infuse all of your items a little, instead of a few of your items all the way. If your potency is low atm you'll be replacing current gear with new gear anyway.

If you are tanking you should be the first to cast on the targets so make it count- precast what you need, then hit them with a nuke UNLESS they have that pesky "first 10 hits don't count" buff (inspect them). If they do, you can tap them with a debuff to start, let someone else work through the 10 hits, then nuke. Thorns potions are also nice in most zones even if you use the cheap ones.

Your cast chain should optimize the use of your blues- depending on AA spec you can use reaper to start a chain of blue spells which will really tear into the mobs, and likely proc celestial gate, at which point you can throw nukes.
  11. Drona Well-Known Member

Thanks for this! I did some plat infusion as well and got extra 2/3 million hp. I didn't spend much nor did I use all items as I am not happy with some of my gear. I didn't know STA made huge difference to HP.

I don't raid and only do heroic content for now so this is a nice way to increase my HP. I am aiming for 50 million HP in offense stance so some way to go still but should be possible I guess.
  12. Drona Well-Known Member

Yes I wasn't going to do a blanket copy, it was just an off hand remark :)

Anyway I have created a new AA setup based around yours and Dannni's setup. Seems to be doing ok!

One thing I can't seem to explain is how come you have very HP of 83 million and potency of 94k! Don't get me wrong but your gear isn't all super duper raid stuff! From what I can see you have raid drop legs and 4 raid drop jewelry. Rest are heroic gear and that nice cloak. I am around 43 mill HP and 67k potency yet it seems my gear ins't all that bad compared to yours yet your stats are extremely impressive :)
  13. Mathafern Well-Known Member

Adornments matter quite a bit. I've got a solid set of orange adorns. Between the health/sta on the gear and the adornments you account for most of my health. Go to effects tab list of adornments on EQ2U.

The potency comes from-
    - Fairly high diety potency- not max but not 55 either.
    - Ascension buff
    - Given a choice between two items that are otherwise similar, I choose the one with higher potency, even if I lose resolve.
    - AA choices.
    - Crit bonus. I've stacked this, and took double conversion in AA.
    - Tradeskill mount. Also, crafted items are experimented for more potency.
    - Gear from shinies. The 29 armor you get from completing shiny sets is high potency.
    - Offensive stance. SK and zerkers get away with this.
    Drona likes this.
  14. Drona Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking your time to reply. :) I have now raised my HP target to 70 million as heroic SK based on what you have said!

As for HP adorns, I have got pretty much all the one you have expect "Aspect of Pingyuan Diqu" set. These sells for 1 million each on my server so unless I get lucky it will be while before I get hold of these! How much HP does this set add to the total? around 5 million? You also have the HP adorns from PG at max but I am only at the first stage. I am work on maxing these now.

As for potency, when you say Ascension buff you mean Sanguine Embrace right?
    When you say you have stacked Crit bonus, you mean Shadow Wall AA right?

I am working on collection and the tradeskill mount as well.
  15. Mathafern Well-Known Member

Sanguine Embrace, yes.
    Shadow Wall + Chaos Knight is dual conversion. Undeniable power and Imbued Sight boost this even more.
    I also have my Diety Crit Bonus boost very high, and I try not to reforge out of crit bonus if I can help it. You may not be able to actually use those extra points as crit bonus (because of cap) but they count toward potency due to conversion.
    I reforge out of ability mod when I can, because I get a lot of this from other places (adorns) and so 25k or so of abi mod here or there doesn't matter much- but reforges really nicely.
    Drona likes this.
  16. Mathafern Well-Known Member

I could boost potency a bit higher at the expense of health (white adorns and a couple gear choices) but prefer to keep health as high as possible- with buffs from my wife's inquisitor, that 83 million becomes 133 million health, at which point I can do remarkably stupid things and live.
    Drona likes this.
  17. Drona Well-Known Member

Just to thank Dannni, Mathafern and others for their help in this thread. It has helped alot. My DPS has gone up and along with it, hate issues!

I am Etherealist and in the process of upgrading my spells. The following is the priority list as they cost a fortune and then some! Would you say its the right priority?

Etherlord
    Touch of Magic
    Implosion
    Cascading Force
    Ethershadow Assassin
    Feedback loop
  18. Dannni Active Member

Someone may correct me if I am wrong but I think feedback loop only works with combat arts and most of the SK's best abilities are spells, therefore it is not a great match for a SK. Otherwise yes Etherlord is a good one to prioritise as it will boost everything, personally I would aim to get this to grandmaster. The rest I would expert first as this gives you good value for money i.e. levinbolt, etherflash, ethershadow assassin, implosion, cascading force, focused blast, touch of magic (in no particular order).
    Drona likes this.
  19. Drona Well-Known Member

Ah thanks. The KA spells are a pain to upgrade as I don't see the mats or even the spells on broker. PoP are not too bad it seems as I see celestial teaching on broker.

I have not got any celestial teaching to drop but I guess its locked behind that crafting mount right? Something similar applies to KA stuff too? I have been doing some KA weekly and not seen any.
  20. Mathafern Well-Known Member

The KA ascensions (1-10) require lots and lots of expert heroics to have much chance of getting enough to matter.
    I ran these daily and in the entire time they were available in the expansion I barely got enough to actually craft anything useful. I had stacks and stack of useless components for lower tier spells but the master level ones (you need 10) I had typically 5 or 6 by the time PoP came out.

The teachings are a better system and while they are locked behind the mount, once you get that, you start getting something immediately useful, rather than something you randomly need 10 of the same.

I would make implosion a priority for a tank. I use thaum myself (an early choice which I have stuck with due to research time invested) but have ether on an alt and cannot speak highly enough of implosion for the sheer fun of it, and as a tank the round-em-up capability is quite nice.