Returning player

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Adamsmith31, Nov 8, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Adamsmith31 Guest

Thinking of starting up and start fresh again on a populated pve server. I had EQ2 since 2004 but never played past level 20. I was bored soloing all the time and i was playing WoW and other mmorpgs.

I am wondering is AoD worth the price to pay just for mercs and maybe the class? $40 + is kinda steep for that.
    Also is anyone a vet player returning and rerolling and starting a guild? i'd like to be apart of that.

Thanks
  2. ARCHIVED-snowhaze Guest

I'm a recently returned player a couple of months ago (only played a couple of months when it was released because I was still really into EQ1) and I didn't buy AoD until I saw it on sale for half price, which was around when I hit level 80. I duoed my way there with my wife (2 casters) and we had no problems doing anything outdoors, pretty much following the golden path, and I don't think it would be difficult to solo most of it. That said, duoing 2 casters, we couldn't do any dungeons with heroic content, which was a major bummer for me since I really like them, the mobs hit too hard and took too long to bring down (and forget trying any named). I feel like we missed a lot of really good content.
    After we got AoD, we finally ran out and got a mercs and wow what a difference (night and day), they were 1 and 2 shotting a lot of mobs that took us a while to take down and dungeons were now doable and still sometimes challenging. I would say they are way overpowered for most outdoors mobs (non heroic), and even slightly overpowered for dungeons, but its almost like having a full party with the 4 of us.
    I was also suprised how responsive and 'intelligent' they are. I got the SK and she ae taunts and responds immediately when I get agro (so much better than a RL person in this respect - they never afk and are always paying attention ). My wife took the healer and he even keeps my SK alive very well and cures are immediate. I would rather have a group of RL friends playing, but its a nice substitute since there aren't that many lower levels wanting to group (though admittedly I didn't try looking).
    Personally, I feel the game is much more fun with them, but you are right, $40 is steep and you might just want to wait if they have another discount sale soon (I saw someone asking about it when the new expansion goes on sale next week - I would at least wait a week or so probably). Looking back now, I probably would have shelled out $80 for our two accounts to have them while we leveled. I started a 2nd toon when my wife doesn't play and have been soloing him with a merc and hitting lots of dungeons and I can't imagine doing without now.
    I joined up with a casual guild and I would recommend doing that as well asap, lots of very worthwhile ammenities, especially if you want to tradeskill. I'm on the Permafrost server and I wouldn't recommend it for 'high' population, I think its one of the less populated servers.