Returning player wizard vs warlock?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Dirty, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Dirty New Member

So returned to EQ2 about three days ago, and trying to find the right class for me. Right now I have my old 54 Brigand but I think I want to re-roll to a pure caster.

I have read three or four returning posts, and have a decent grasp on some of the lower level stuff that changed. But need some more info.

So my question are:

1) What benefits do wizards and/or warlocks have over brigands in a group setting?

2) Assuming I go with the caster, what are the differences between the warlock and the wizard? (Last I remember the wizard did more burst DD, and the lock was better at dots and longer duration. But I don't really know what they do.)

3) Should I level straight to max level, or level lock for AA?

4) Mercs. Is there a preferred merc, and who the heck is Kenny and why does everyone want him?

5) What are Agnostic dungeons, and what makes them special?

6) Does anyone know of a good post/link the explains adornments and reformed process? My Google Fu is failing.

Thank you in advance.
  2. Regolas Well-Known Member

1) Wizards and Warlocks are pure dps classes whereas Brigands are debuffers that dps a little less. In a group setting the debuffs don't really matter, but in raids they are required. Having said that, you'll probably only have one brig in a raid and quite a few wizards/warlocks.

2) I will leave that question to someone who has played both.

3) If you have membership, put all xp to levels. You now get a set amount of AAs when you reach certain levels. By 90 you will have 280AA, which gets all the class defining stuff.

4) Mercs are useful but they take xp. It's better to group. Kenny is an elite shaman/guardian combo merc. Usually a tank merc (pally or sk) is best up to 90, then a healer merc for cures (if you're a dps class).

5) Agnostic dungeons are dungeons that set everyone at the same level between 20-95. So a level 94 can play with a level 20.

6) I don't know any
  3. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Brigands matter in both grps and raids, their debuffs makes a significant difference for grpwide dps. Brigands are wanted in every grp setup.

Warlock is the burst class of the two, infact warlock is the biggest burster of all classes. Only in a very very few situations would the wizard be stronger then warlock, overall warlock is far superior to wizard.
  4. Extremeties Member

@ Tharrakor

Wait, Warlocks are bigger burst class then the Wizard? How so? I know they're centered on AoE's and with their Epic they can turn them into single target spells. Care to further explain what you mean they're a bigger burst class then Wizard?
  5. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

1.Locks currently golden child of Daybreak in terms of DPS - with right buffs, right AA and right attack sequence warlock most certain top of T1 DPS ,,, wizards from what I have read need a bit lub (say +10-15%?)
    2. As I understand at low levels prime difference is warlock - is king of AoE fights wiards - single target ... in the end game ... well warlock mythic ability allow him turn his account based AoE into single target with +30% bonus other difference warlocks are noxious and wizards are elemental damage
    3. I'd say no unless you already explored all content of EQ2 - I locked myself at mid 70ies and had a blast doing RoK than I lock myself at 80 to do Moors of Yakesha - so I'd say no need to rush
    4. Mercs for locks/wizards are a must have ... until mid 80s - best choice would SK lady from Neriak (Divitta or something like that) - great AoE pull, selfheal, good tanking abilities - she will be your all purpose merc... Kenny is elite merc - mystic. He starting slow at 70s he definitely loosing to SK... but in mid 80s table turns... Kenny start pulling decent damage but A LOT more durable compare to SK. Kenny is your best friend in dungeons where you can get swarmed by mobs (like 4-7 at time) - SK get toasted but Kenny is not. In the very end of game (from what I heard) merc of the choice will be paladin - only pal will able to hold agro... If at low 70s SK was easy out damage my warlock on single target by level 80s my warlock by large margin ahead of merc
    5. Agostics - you WILL love them :) I do 3 on constant base - Charassis, Forge and Library. These dungeons do not have lock timer, they scale with you in levels up to 94, but best of all they do 2 things - first they drop gear, best legendary gear you can get solo and agostics probably the only place where you can reliable get your class specific master spells drop frequently
    6. Reforging - you probably won't need it or use it until very end-game - its basically a way to exchange one blue stat on another with some lost. As for adornments - here is my pick (from low to mid level view).. Initially (as a pure caster) you will need get as much as you can casting speed, follow by crit chance follow by crit bonus - do not ignore potency and ability mode ... but those won't play much role until they start come in big chunks in your 80s. Rule of tomb you AB should be 50% of your biggest nuke (in the end game) but even at 80s you won't get above may be 10-20%. On EQ Flames - in warlock section there sticky post about efficiency that post have table in excel where you can play with stats to optimize your DPS. The way I read it - until end of game it pointless to do min-max
  6. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

As warlocks we can few special AA that help us burst really high... One AA skill focused casting add 100% crit chance and 1.75x your currently CB (and that adds up!) and other skill that increase our potency by 25% - saying that - once troubadour or illusionist fire Time Wrap - warlock will fire his chain from CB and potency boost .. even w/o time wrap such burst will do devastating damage
  7. Enoibia Well-Known Member

I'm curious - how do you do these solo? Or am I misinterpreting? :)
  8. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Well I do 3 of them with my warlock and SK Merc with extreme ease. I started do them at 70 (basically once I came back from 10 years retirement.
    Charassis
    Use body-pull method in sperm area (merc in follow mode, as soon as you pull the pack flip merc in assist mode). First 4 names just burn nothing fancy really. After you cleared adds - same way pull named sperm and simply burn it down. SK Merc from Neriak more than capable solo it but with your help it happens much faster :) Once you kill him simply clear all room and don't forget jump into the trap with more sperms (you need pull switch down there)
    Once you done go outside on the left and keep going until you hit sandstorm room - send Merc in attack and cast 1-2 cheap dots to see when sandstorm lose his stone skin once it happened burn him with all you got ... some said avoid sands and stay against wall
    Next named Ancient Gear ... well just simple piece of meat nothing special really about him - simply burn
    Next name - is bonus one - Imprisoned one - very end of corridor, skip for now maidens - kill all sperms on your way - he is also trial mob simple burn while you merc tanking work just fine
    Next are maidens of Druizella (sp) - yes those are challenge. You need either of 3 things - massive AoE attack (warlock will do ;)) or good healing (Kenny will help with that should you not got him yet do so) or good CC to keep 2 maiden mezzed/stunned/stifled. Next is secret how to kill them. They must die in order - TXV ... "theoretically" you can AoE kill all of them in same time but its kind of challenging even for warlock. I f you start kill them in wrong order ... they just refuse to die :)
    Last is the Boss - Druizella herself ... If you know how to kill her she not much of the challenge - I'd say maidens are the hardest part. You need to know 1 thing about this mob - she will cast like every 10-15-20 second curse (she will emote something about spirits and bone cage arise around her) - do not attack her at this moment every hit will heal her on 8%. So keep merc in follow mode and watch cage goes up... Once cage down? - burn her with all you got ... and as soon as cage up call back merc and stop your attacks... Take a little practice with timing but now I can burn her in 2 cycles (initial attack and 1 attack after cage is down)
    Erudine Library - arguable easiest of all instances of agnostic
    Many AoE fights but all you need just "burn" .. There is thou 1 semi challenging mob - third one (mage on flying carpet). This guys have extremely nasty AoE with guess very big radius - you need either very high DPS or healing pet - either will do, possible stifle or stun will do.
    Deep Forge - overall I'd rate as easiest if not 1 thing - if you do it solo you will have to die at least once. In the second room there are 2 valves, Trick is following - put merc in follow mode - run to the first valve (make merc attack guardians) and turn it - ignore any adds - run to the second valve but make sure call your merc off - you ultimate goal get alive to the second valve and turn it too - this will drawn all adds in lava. Next you just resurrect and kill everything in that room before engage Boss. Boss is very simple actually but have 1 kicker - watch you health - lava trap may appears under your fit and that WILL kill you fast unless you move, Outside of avoiding trap - Boss is trivial
    Temple of Cazik Thule - here I did not had much success (yet) - I stuck on second named (big monkey) he hit like a truck and summon. Even Kenny had a hard time heal through. I think more DPS compare to what I have will do a trick or may be stun/stifle?
    Conservatory - well .... even for warlock AoE fights were a bit to intense. It was like I had to res myself like every second- third fight so I gave up
    Enoibia likes this.
  9. Stabaholic Active Member

You can't solo agnostic dungeons. They are group zones but they don't require a full group.
  10. Enoibia Well-Known Member

Wow! Far more info than I expected. :) And you do these as agnostics or just as they are?
  11. Enoibia Well-Known Member

That's why I am confused. :)
  12. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Sure you can! (and should btw). You can do easy absolute majority of heroic dungeons even if they cons yellow... Few exception - thou. So far I was not able complete solo 1 of 3 Guks (middle one) ... I can do solo 2 rounds of ring event but simply run out of health/power to vanquish last round.... Dungeons that I completed solo - Obelisk (10-15pp per run!), Charassis, Veskar, Chelish, Nu'roga, Karnor, Chardock, Sebilis (including lower corridors part), 2 guks (lower corridors and upper guk). Deep Forge, Nagen Tower
  13. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Nah - you can solo them, at least most of them. Not solo but molo (merc and you). If you are pure caster - take SK merc lady from Neriak and you will be golden... or if you feel particular afraid of luck of healing - Kenny. I already accumulated almost 400 Etymas as a side effect, but main reason why I go and do agostics - my master spells and gear
  14. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Both way (Deep Forge and Charassis)
  15. Enoibia Well-Known Member

Ykesha's Inner Stronghold? My nemisis! Even if you managed to survive the ring event you almost certainly wouldn't defeat Zraxth solo/molo. My friend and I have tried so many times and have not yet succeeded due to the scripting. We even tried with 3 real players and 2 mercs this past weekend and still ended up dead several times!

What server do you play on DoomDrake?
  16. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

I am playing on Guk sever (soon to be Hall of Fate) .... primary for now - Dreamtwister (warlock yesterday allowed myself dinged 85 for flying mount :)) but going to freeze myself for a little while since I still want to finish few dungeon from RoK and MoY that I haven't seen yet ... and I just happens to got quest for Fable City. Other dungeon I have trouble with in MoY - Anchor of Something similar to Obelisk but ... second named putting me in misery even after I transform to the monster (need to read more about this)... After first named I had to evac because ended up locked in the room while Kenny was finishing off that named :)
  17. Stabaholic Active Member

You cannot solo agnostic dungeons. They require 2 or more players or they cannot be created. You're confusing agnostics with regular dungeons. Agnostics are created by the server and adjusted in strength based on your group. You can only do agnostics between level 20-94.
  18. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

No I am not. You can use mercenary (and that I presume counts as a group of 2). I do not see a reason why not use merc 100% of time unless you are in full group. On the side note - I have noticed that in agnostic mobs tend to have a lot more HP compare to original dungeon (judging by Deep Forge - I can't turn 2 valves in agnostic w/o been killed - mobs cons even, but I can easy kill everything and after turn both valves in real Deep Forge
  19. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Ah! almost forgot - I did solo whole Warlock Epic (btw fun!). I did HQ Shiny Metallic Robs (oh sweet memories of EQ1 .. camping Guk for that darn robe ...). I did half way (a bit more than that) HQ Darkmail gauntlets but stack on guy in Darlight woods stifle hurt :).. Going to get more DPS and then just fry him
  20. Enoibia Well-Known Member

I too play on Guk. I will have to look out for you. We tried that Hook, Line and.... Anchor quest recently and died. :(