Returning Player, TLE or Normal Server With Limited Play Time?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Tevez, May 8, 2018.

1. Tevez New Member

Hi Guys,

I've been itching to play EQ2 again after quite a break. I started playing from Day 1 but never got too far into the game. I believe my highest character is around 70 but I am looking to start fresh once again.

Right now I'm not sure which server I should play on. Ideally I want to take it slow and do all the HQ's without being overleveled however I dont know if that is possible without help or twinking. I have played on the TLP servers and really enjoyed them on EQ1 but have not tried the TLE servers on EQ2. From what I have read it can be quite difficult getting a group in general and levelings is very slow.

With my limited play time and also playing from Australia I feel like I wont ever see a group unless its the weekend. I assume on live as well I will not really be grouping with anyone as most people aren't leveling new characters. I've also considering Duo Boxing on either live or TLE (I've also heard there you can hire Mercs now on Live so I could give that a go).

I will most likely play a Coercer as my primary character (not sure how great they are to solo with but enchanter in EQ1 was my favourite class).

Does anyone have any recommendations on what would be the most enjoyable option out of; Soloing on TLE/Live Server or possibly 2 Boxing on either and which server if I play on Live? I'm looking to have fun leveling and experiencing the game, seeing the majority of stuff I would have missed back in the day. I like grouping however I feel that 99% of the time I will be soloing. Leveling fast isn't that big an issue however I'd prefer it not to be mind numbingly slow.

PS: Prefer not to box as I feel like I wont learn the classes and my characters wont feel so 'special', but I dont want to end up hitting a wall while soloing and not being able to complete HQ's and other important quests.

TLDR: Returning Player, TLE or Live for Soloing / Duo Box?
  2. Xordus Member

I'm a returning player as well. My wife and I played since day 1 as well and I have quit and come back numerous times throughout the years. My wife has kept her account active and still plays. All our toons are on Halls of Fate server, not that means much after so long and so many merges between servers. From what I can tell with so many mercenaries available solo play isn't very hard to do now-a-days unless you're doing top end content. I think you're find solo up until that point. I've always played classes that solo easier (Monk, Conjy, Necro) just for that reason. As much as I enjoyed raiding top end content back in the day, I miss the solo exploration and discoveries of lower end play. At one time I used to quad box but that isn't necessary any more. Good Luck!

Exordus
  3. Flightrisk Well-Known Member

welcome back!

playing the TLE server or the regular progression servers doesn't have to be a one or other choice .. you can do both, if you are a paid account.
    Each account comes with seven or more empty character slots, and adding a new slot is 10 bucks or slightly less.

and if you are not a paid account the question is moot, as the only servers that allow the unlimited time trial account ( now called "free" to play ) are the traditional servers .

but rolling out a baby toon isn't hard and neither is deleting it , if you decide the class or server isn't the one.

good luck ,

and remember always play the class you love as player opinion changes like a teen girl changes her earrings ...
    Meneltel likes this.
  4. Nilyana Active Member

Leveling through quests and soloing is pretty slow on the TLE server, but leveling through grouping (mostly on Faydwer) isn't that much of a grind. It's still slower than live, but it's not hard to catch up to the current level cap of 70. There's at least one guild around which has a lot of members who play during the off-hours of the server, so you might be able to find a guild that plays when you do, which would help grouping. I would suggest logging on to the TLE server during your normal play time and see what guilds might be active then. If you can find one, TLE would probably be closer to what you are looking for than live. I often play very, very late night EST, like 3 to 4 am EST, and I still find groups. It is slower some nights than others, but last night I was grouping at that time, and chat was still pretty active.

About the live servers, you are correct that there is no real grouping on the live servers for the lower levels. If you find an active guild sometimes people will run a dungeon with you. Overall the world feels very empty at lower levels however. But with a mercenary you will be able to clear out dungeons, quests, and even quite a few epic mobs at level. You can even kill many old raid mobs for the signature quest lines with mercenary if you are a few levels over them. No mercenaries on the TLE sever. Live servers also do not have the slow travel that TLE servers do. I will tell you, if you end up on TLE, look at the housing leader board in the EQ2 menu on the TLE server you can go to the first hall of fame house and they almost always have a druid and wizard port up to help you travel around the server.

You can have fun on both server types. On live it will be easier to see everything perhaps because of mercenaries, but you will be pretty alone in doing it. On TLE things are slower, you will have to rely on others more, especially for any content that includes raids, but there are still other people around. I agree with above, maybe it would be best to try out both for a few days and see which one would be more suited to how you want to play.
  5. Tevez New Member

Thanks for all the info guys,

I found that I already have a level 11 Coercer on Fallen Gate. I think I might start one on Maj'Dul though and level him a bit as it will probably be quicker with a Merc just to see how the class plays at a higher level. My name is Drowsiness on both servers if anyone wants to shoot me a tell.

See you in EQ!