Returning player - Server? Class? Shenanigans?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Isenveld, May 18, 2020.

1. Isenveld New Member

Hi!
    I used to play wayyyy back - in the Shadow Odyssey prime days of 2008 - but life took over and I went with other games. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to figure out which server is most suitable to play on. I am usually a raider (healer or buffer, so Defiler, Coercer, Troubadour) and dungeoneer. I am mainly active during EU times, and I tend to gravitate towards semi-hardcore (competitive enough to want progress, not hardcore enough to "raid-logoff-repeat"). Like my class priorities suggest, I like to be useful in raids rather than just compete on dps meters. ;)

Oh, and if you have a guild that is recruiting and welcome a returning player, hit me up! :)
  2. Raff Well-Known Member

Isenveld...we run a raid alliance on Sat & Sun mornings CST / 9AM...about 3PM EU time +/- depending on where you are. And have an active US daytime group. If you want to make a a new toon and check out Lava Forged on AB...to see if our playtimes work for your playtimes.

The Sat / Sun raids are full currently, but we always need healers & powerfeeds if some don't show up on weekends.

Look for Kittaene on during the day and any other officer at other times if you are interested.
    Isenveld and Cyrrena like this.
  3. dorotea Well-Known Member

Two possibilities are obvious from what you say. Since you are active EU times why not try the UK/EU server? You will find more people on when you play. Start a character there and check out the ambiance and see if a guild appeals to you. Type U to see guild recruiting adverts.

If you are a subscriber (Member) or will be, consider the progression server. You will start out far less behind the curve in terms of new (to you) game systems to learn and things to get that raiding guilds expect members to have. On the other hand it will take a lot longer to get to maximum level if that is where you enjoy playing. Reduced xp awards and no agnostics or high level collectibles. It is a relatively high-population server which you may like. But you will miss out on quite a of of content unless you also have characters on other servers.

I say this just to highlight choices. AB is a great server and Lava Forged is one of the best guilds.
    Isenveld and Cyrrena like this.
  4. Isenveld New Member

Thanks. AB it is for me then. I will have to admit that I do usually play the "current" version. I would not be very tempted to go back to the grind of TSO again but go on to new lands.

Definitely a subscriber, and I upgraded to the latest expansion.

Will definitely hit up Lava Forged, the times (though the teams are full atm) are very good for me and I tend to enjoy playing with US peeps. :)

See ya in-game!
    Cyrrena likes this.
  5. swiecz New Member

Any other new peeps starting to play again in the US? Was thinking of starting anew character and would love a pal or two to level up with instead of solo grind
    Mendicus and Cyrrena like this.
  6. Warlyx Active Member

if u sub go Kaladim , is a TLE server but it will bring u back the most fun times! once the server is closed your chars will be moved to a live server (your choice) so nothing is lost :D
    Cyrrena likes this.
  7. Raff Well-Known Member

Soloing on a TLE server will re-introduce you to the concept of "Mind Numbing Grind". :confused:
  8. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

On Kaladim the player wouldn't have to solo. People are starting alts all the time and new players join the server regularly. There are a lot of guilds that accept new players and help them along the way.
  9. dorotea Well-Known Member

Soloing is slow on Kaladim - but I find that better than being able to get to 90 in an hour on any live server. Great for those that want to play parts of the game before the current endgame. Also Cyrrena is entirely correct.
  10. Warlyx Active Member

yeah live server is molo 1-100 u barely play at all merc kills all things for u , u dont even learn how to play

after 100 u start at least pressing 2 buttons

TLE u dont have mercs :)

groups at all lvls albeit sometimes is a bit hard to find
  11. Raff Well-Known Member

Well, maybe that is how you played Live.

But mercs didn't come out until later in the game. There are a ton of us who solo'd scouts and healers lvls 1-80...think AoD came in around...what lvl 90 or so...kind of foggy on that.

I love soloing levels 20-80 on scouts.
    Breanna likes this.
  12. Priority Well-Known Member

Agnostics make up to level 91 really easy. Then find yourself an HKC grind group or PLer to 100, PoP sig to 110, BoL sig to cap. About 12 hours total if you focus it.
  13. Priority Well-Known Member

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if you could do the PoP sig to 120 with as much do as you get from the quests in CoV
  14. Finora Well-Known Member

You absolutely can. I haven't played a huge amount for a year or so other than holidays so even my main has been behind. I finished up the PoP quests one of the bonus weeks and she hit 120 from 110 with zero issues, and I'd already done that questline up to the fire zones when 110 was the cap. I've done it with 2 other alts since, though of course they have the max level bonus going now from the ones before.