Returning Player - Question about spell tiers

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Dippun, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Dippun New Member

Hi,

Just returning to this game after a long hiatus. Due to time constraints I am looking at utilising the free model of the game and purchasing upgrades when required. I have looked through the limitations of doing this and it seems very feasible to be able to enjoy this game without paying the monthly sub at any point.

The only grey area I have is that I can not find any information on how to upgrade spells to master level. It seems you could once buy a token for this but it is no longer available. Can anyone assist in letting me know if this is still available through alternate means??

I would also like to know of any other limitations of the free game versus subscription. I have no problem purchasing equipment unlocks when required or extra bag space where necessary (I do want to support a game that I am enjoying). If I do start these purchases I want to be able to continue down the FTP path and not feel at one point I will have to subscribe.

Any thoughts on the questions above from other players will be much appreciated.
  2. napu Member

i always assumed item unlockers worked for master spells, though i never actually tried.
  3. Regolas Well-Known Member

4. Dippun New Member

Thanks for the info,

The link you have provided has good info on what paying the $5 for silver access allows you to do, and I have come across this in my research already. It doesn't give info on what can be unlocked for additional fee's. For example, it mentions that inventory slots are restricted to 4 out 6 available, the additional 2 slots can be unlocked for a cost however.

The spell tiers is the one item that is giving me pause in paying money as it is the only aspect that I can't find updated info on. At one point the store did offer the unlockers for a cost but it is now absent from the store, so I am guessing that it has either been removed entirely or there is another method that I can not find. Either way, I have not been able to find info one way or another on the change.

I am hoping someone can assist with this who has been playing for awhile and can answer on this change.

Thanks
  5. Hexalobular Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Yeah they changed the system and removed the prepurchasable unlockers.
    If you mouseover a locked item in your inventory you get a big red double arrow, clicking on that gives you a popup where you can chose to unlock it, for SC 25 I believe.
    Feara likes this.
  6. Regolas Well-Known Member

I do actually say in the link that all but the xp bar can be unlocked for a fee :)

For spells, if you press K for your knowledge book and choose the research tab, you can pick a spell and see on the right how much it is to update it to master level.

I wasn't aware the unlockers had been removed (not been f2p for over a year), but sounds like you got an answer above.

Don't bother with having master spells until your last tier though (86+). Expert level is enough. If you really want to, the tier below (80+) is worthwhile but earlier than that you'll outlevel them too quick (unless it stops at a lower tier, most classes seem to have a few unique ones that stop being upgraded around level 50)
    Geozen likes this.
  7. Dippun New Member

I appreciate the responses all, I look forward to bringing my illusionist out of retirement and enjoying Norrath once again. See you in game.
    Geozen likes this.