Returning Player, Part III

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Ironback, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Ironback Member

Hello again:
    I've continued to enjoy my return to EQ2. I've left TLE and went back to my old toon who is on Maj'Dul now. Last time I played was in 2013. I'm getting that by the timestamp on my quest.

I was a level 80 necro. That is... before I popped the 110 potion. Now I'm sort of regretting doing that as I have found that quite a bit of content has been released since my departure. Most of it will be grayed out to me now at 110.

So my question is this: As a returning 110 necro, where should I start in the Sig Quest Line? And why would you start at that point vice another?
    SynergyBlaize likes this.
  2. Silver-Crow Member

On live the last few expacs have completely invalidated the rest gear and content wise. You can tell this by the way they give you a chest full of gear at the start of every expansion as your old l33t raid gear is effectively junk.

You'll also find that the xp requirements for levelling are so steep, it's actually pointless killing mobs for xp. The only way of levelling now is to do quests. Ironically there's a quest where you land in the blinding which you can repeat ad-nauseum which will get you from 110 to 120 in one or 2 hours, which makes levelling a bit of a joke really.

So yes, do the sig line, it's the only thing you can do really, as anyone running heroic groups won't want you untill you have at least 140k+ potency.

I'll not go into tradeskills, as there's plenty of material already in the forums about this.

I actually gave the live game up as a bad job, and went the opposite direction to the TLE.
    Play live for a bit, you'll see what i mean.
  3. Ironback Member

Thank you for the feedback. It's much appreciated. I tried the TLE, but after finding out that it dies off shortly after mercs are introduced I flipped over to Maj'Dul.

I was never much for raiding. Made the game seem to much like a job to me. I like to explore and see new things, solve puzzles, etc. The armor/gear they gave me for using the 110 level up was better than what was in the chest at the Library. So I'm still wearing it. I haven't used any of the gems from it yet, as I'm not too sure how that system works and I don't want to do something that I may regret later on.

As far as the Sig line, where should I start? Would Kunark be a good place? I really don't care much about exp, I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything story wise or miss something that may block further progression later on down the road.

Thanks again for the info. This game has grown so much since I last played that it is a little overwhelming. But I'm going to stick with it and have some fun and hopefully make some new friends along the way.

*EDIT #1*
    2.0 Epic spells?! I play a necro and I've been reading about the Epic pet. How do I get this thing?! From what I understand, it is a level 100 spell. And that's about all I've been able to find out. Is there a specific quest line I need to do? I've tried to GTS, but the information out there is all old and seems out of date.

*EDIT #2*
    Am I right in that I need to complete the Kunark Rising timeline to start the Mage Epic 2.0? I found this: https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Mage_Epic_Weapon_2.0_Timeline . Is it what I need to do to acquire the Reaper spell?
  4. CharbrynEQ2 Well-Known Member

You've got a few options for getting those Epic 2.0 abilities -

1. Do the Kunark Ascending timeline and epic 2.0 timeline. Definitely do some research on this because there are a lot of pre-requisites involved.
    2. Do the Chaos Descending timeline and get the abilities auto-granted upon completion. At level 110 you can jump right into it and then go back to do Kunark Ascending if you choose.
    3. Or, push to get to 120 and get them from Luclin for free, no questline completion required, from a merchant in Sanctus Seru.
  5. Ironback Member

Thank you for the prompt reply Charbyn! I'll admit that option #3 does sound tempting. But I'm a sucker for story so I think that I'll opt for option #1.
  6. dorotea Well-Known Member

Firstly - you start the signature line by using an item you get in the mail. Same item for tradeskill and adventure though you talk to different NPCs in the place the item takes you. If you plan to do both I recommend tradeskill first because the flying ability unlocked by that will really help. Adventure also unlocks flying but is longer and harder. Plus the gear from the free gear box on the moon also really helps in the introduction to Luclin quest which is mandatory.

2. As I recall you get the epic 2 spells essentially for free now in the primary city on Luclin, Enter Sanctus Seru, turn left, turn left again almost immediately and talk to the status merchant. No need to be 120 just need access to Luclin.

3. After 7 years away, and since, like me, it isn't the endgame you are interested in, I recommend starting a few new characters to see how the game looks now from the beginning - and to relearn how the classes play. Maybe you will find a class other than necro is now to your taste - necro seems less powerful for this expansion than some earlier ones. Plus you can do the content you missed at-level without mentoring down which tends to make it trivial.

I note that if all you want to do is re-start at a fairly high level e.g. to do Thalumbra at 100 or Kunark at 100 a new character can get to 100 reasonably fast doing nothing but level-agnostic dungeons. Stygian Threshold until 75-80 and then Crypt of Agony. Boring for a few days but easy. Visiting all plane of magic teleporters (all but one actually) can get a level 1 character to level 15-17 or so in under 5 minutes and a few collections can get the character to the 20s or low 30s fairly cheaply.
  7. Ironback Member

I just found out about the "Panda" quest line. I think I'm going to do that before anything else. Good idea or not?
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Absolutely good. You will get some armor and other gear suitable for your current level, amd adorns, plus house items. As you get leveled higher, more stuff will be purchasable.
    Breanna and Ironback like this.
  9. Carynn Well-Known Member

Personally, if you're returning and enjoy soloing, I'd just start a new toon, grab a merc, and enjoy exploring. A lot has changed even in the old content.
    Breanna likes this.