Returning player needs guidance

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Angus Macgyver, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Angus Macgyver New Member

Hello guys,
    I decided to try EQ and EQ2 again after approx 8 years of neglect.
    Server :Thurgadin
    Timezone : London UK
    My EQ2 toons were level 50's to 65.
    My main is a Sarny SK.
    I was really happy to see all was as it was left, crafting and my house decorations etc were a big part of my game play.
    Obviously they have been through a few server mergers, but the fire has been stoked and the flames are burning bright.

Question.
    I have a free level 95 upgrade, should I use it on my main?
    I have just purchased the newest expansion and will also be purchasing mercs.
    @ level 65, where should I head off to level?
    @ level 95, where should I head off to level?
    I solo and group if available.
    I don't care much for raids, the stress of gearing and the stress of failure give me sleepless nights.
    Any insight into an SK business plan, or choose one of my other many toons to use the free lvl 95 on, or even start a new character is fine by me.
    ps. game still looks great, and it works on my laptop, very happy.
  2. AccidentProne37 Active Member

Welcome back! First off, my opinion is that if you've only just come back it might be a better idea to play the level 65 main to 95 rather than using the boost just to get back into the swing of things and reacquaint yourself with the controls, mechanics, etc. It doesn't take all-together long to go from 65-95 playing and it'd free up that level boost for later use. I assume it (the boost) isn't going anywhere without ya :D

Typically when I have to (Out of need or desire) take a break, I'll roll a new character from level 1 and play it for a while to get myself back in the swing of things because for me, it can be overwhelming to just pop in on my max level character(s) and just pick up where I left off. Especially when its been years (that's happened a few times)

I hope my rambling has helped some. Welcome back and I hope you have fun!
    Buba likes this.
  3. Buba Active Member

As far as leveling up goes you might want to check your prereq's for epic 2.0 and do those timelines. It will save you time in long run as you kill two birds with one stone, and don't let the name epic 2.0 scare you off, you don't have to do the raid part to get some really good rewards. At 95 I did the tranquil sea/ phantom sea timeline. Hope this helps.
    AccidentProne37 likes this.
  4. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Relax, have fun and don't worry about your AAs. I suggest you make up your own AA tree and get what you want as you are leveling. Once you are max level and AAs, then adjust them to take what you want now that you are done. I also urge you to find a guild that fits your playing style and goals as well as one that you fit into also. This game is so much more fun with friends and guildies!
    Argosunited and Cyrrena like this.
  5. Altaholic New Member

My two copper on leveling a toon is, use the 95 on your main, which hopefully is also your favorite to play. Then implement the things the others have said. During completing all your pre reqs you will have a chance to relearn your toon with the many changes since you have been gone.
  6. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Personally, I only use boosts on new characters or ones that I have leveled to at least 20 playing them. Or if the new character is a duplicate, I will use the boost on the new duplicate, almost all of mine are scouts so there are quite a few duplicated classes amongst them.
  7. Angus Macgyver New Member

Thank you all for your kind words and help.
    I had a great time last night for a few hours.
    I managed to find a nice zone with fun quests ( some kind of ghost town with dire wolves, bandits , bears etc )
    I have decided to level this character via questing and will take the advice to research the epic 2.0 time lines.
    Although my armor is only level 45 crafted, the stats seem to be on par with level 65 loot, so I am managing to solo without a merc for now
    * I have unlocked the merc option.

Do you recommend i get a mount?
    I am currently running everywhere but it seems to be fine, zones are definitely easier to get to now.
  8. Carynn Well-Known Member

You can quest for mounts if you do tradeskilling (Butcherblock quests for leapers, Tenebrous Tangle for glider, Velous for flying griffin), or buy cheapish ones for gold at the stables in each town. There is also an adventure quest in Frostfang Sea (and maybe Timorous Deep) that gives you a mount. You will end up wanting a mount at some point, but there is no requirement to use them until you hit Cobalt Scar content (Velious, 90s) which has quests involving stuff on sides of mountains.
  9. Angus Macgyver New Member

I found a flaming lava rhino in my mounts list.
    Seems very fast
  10. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

one place for a resource is http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Dungeon_Timeline
    it is detailed from L1 through L95 showing the various dungeons across Norrath.

You can try the easily hire-able in your home city what can be termed "starter" mercenaries to determine how they perform through experience. There are other, more "elite" mercenaries found randomly in certain zones, or through the completion of quests--Raffik and Zuugly, for examples; And yes, there are those that can be purchased with real $$. The debate rages on which type(s) are better, so it is advised to experience them incrementally based on Your style of game-play.

the wikia is also an INVALUABLE resource of EQII quest and item information... find a quest, just look it up on the wikia, will more then likely find all the details you need to complete.

looking for decorating information or house items?
    http://eq2.eqtraders.com/articles/news_page.php
    and
    http://eq2furniture.com/
    are most useful too.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  11. Angus Macgyver New Member

Cheers.
    I also discovered the /claim
    Seems I had 12 years worth of veteran rewards, free mounts, veteran mercs, rent free home, etc.
    Living the dream ;)
    I used the forum for SK guides and improved my attack spell line, buffs etc.
    I was able to solo ^^^ yellow heroic mobs without taking damage, completed a bunch of quests, gained a few levels.
    My gear is 20 levels under but at the time was player crafted by my guild on Splitpaw ( 12 years ago apparently ) and seems to be holding until I research better options.
    I am spending a lot of time also gathering in a hope to keep costs down when i finally find a crafter.

Am i right in assuming the economy has changed?
    Back in my day 64 plats was a load of money, but atm i am seeing /auction for 400K.... is this correct people are selling for 400K plat items?
    Carynn likes this.
  12. Rotchi Active Member

400k seems like a cheap item.... People are sitting on millions and millions of plat. This due to many many plat exploits and dupes during the 12 years you been out of the game. There is usually 2-3 different ways to exploit plat or dupe in this game. No idea if any method is publicly known atm. Your only way to catch up in plat is to spend more irl cash to buy Kronos and sell on the broker... or find an exploit that works. o_O:eek:
  13. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

You do not need to do either of those things to catch up. If you have loyalty tokens, you can buy bags from the loyalty merchants that contain 500 plat for I believe 5 tokens. Also transmute everything you do not want after checking the price of the item on the broker. Transmuting materials can go for quite a bit as they add up fast. Keep harvesting, some of the spellshards and foundations go for quite a bit. If you don't go silly and spend it all in one place, it will add up very quickly.
    Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr likes this.
  14. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

Additionally, it comes down to this: How do you wish to invest your time and how do you valuate this environment?

Do you wish to treat EQII like a roll of toilet paper not having any patience and can not wait to get to the end of the roll?
    or
    Would you that EQII is an Epic Novel, written over many, many volumes, detailing stories, adventures, & mishaps of many across Norrath and Beyond; That YOU can personally participate in,...?
  15. Carynn Well-Known Member

I love this analogy. Up through and including Tears of Veeshan, it is one big dragon story that's being told, as well as a bunch of smaller tales. My favorite one to this day is what I like to call The Big Oops in SF/SH. My sister's favorite is all the song title quests... you'll have to find them! The Peacock quest is annoying but still has a terrific story. I tend to use my insta-level 100 chars who have blank slates to chronomentor and experience the stories again so I don't get held up on group/raid content that might be too difficult otherwise.
    Juraiya and Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr like this.
  16. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

I quite agree! To be able to humble ones self, either in the assistance of others in their growth, nostalgia, completing story/quest lines, etc. all become available again via mentoring. Assuring that there is ALWAYS something that can be done,...
    Juraiya likes this.