Returning player help- Beastlord

Discussion in 'Scouts' started by Paragonvii, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Paragonvii Active Member

Hello all :) I am looking for help with playing the beastlord class. Does anyone have a link possibly explaining how to play the class? Also, would really love a good DPS/raid spec for him. I appreciate any and all advice :) Feel free to look him up, his name is stoix and hes on Antonica Bayle server. Also, my sons highest level is a BL so itll help him out too :)

Thank you
  2. Carynn Well-Known Member

I started playing one recently, and these are the links I was given:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/looking-for-beastlord-build-guide.569121/
    https://eq2wire.com/2011/12/07/beastlords-frequently-asked-questions/
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/beastlord-advice-questions.576127/

https://eq2.zam.com/wiki/eq2_quest:Collective_Minds

The class is a lot of fun. I would suggest starting from scratch and not using a merc at all. The playstyle takes getting used to, and using a merc will negate seeing how it works. One advice is to pick one warder and level it up completely (leveling warders begins at adventure level 30) before switching to a new warder. Usually you level up one offensive, one defensive, and one dire/hybrid that you don't get until you're high level.
    Dude likes this.
  3. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

Altered beast to ancient. Max reforge to DPS, 2k MA etc. Macro all your abilities to one key and mash that key until you're top of the parse.
    #howtobeastlord
    Snikkety likes this.
  4. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

You may need to occasionally change your macro to a new key, when that one breaks. But there are lots of keys on a keyboard, you should be good with one keyboard for a year or two.
    Snikkety and Bhayar like this.
  5. Bhayar Well-Known Member

The BL is a fun class, simple in concept, but layered and more complex as you dig deep. The links listed above are good. That said, let me add a few things I've learned:
    1) Get as many of the warders as you can as they come available. Tame them and park some of them in your inventory of warders and work on them later.
    2. Spiritual stance is the way to go for leveling warders. Find a zone with a lot of mobs, set the warder loose. Your ONLY job should be to spam your 2nd advantage buff and let the warder kill it all. As one mentor told me, "there will be times you want to slash your wrists," but it will be worth it. Your pet will level considerably faster if you let the pet do the killing and you just spam that ward. I have found this advice to be accurate and wished I'd have had it early on.
    3. You want to max every warder to L6, not just GM. You want that special spell each of them bring to the BL hotbar. Once you start leveling one of them, do not stop until you have that L6/special spell.
    4. Food and snacks are good. Make sure one of your snacks has an autoattack to them.
    There's some other tips, but let's start with these. Some good specs to look at are: Noginn and Ithpica for starters. There's others out there, but these are two I know.
    Dude and Breanna like this.
  6. Dude Well-Known Member

Do you have to level warders repeatedly as you level or do you just level it once and then tame higher level version of that warder? For example, if I level up a wolf warder when I'm level 31, do I have to level another wolf when I'm a higher level?
    Breanna likes this.
  7. Bhayar Well-Known Member

No, that would be redundant. Once you train a warder to L6 GM, you're set for the duration. Some won't be available until you level higher and have access to zones where they reside. For example, sheep or drakes in Butcherblock at L20, Bovid/camel in SS at L50, Dire (Sootbear) in Eastern Wastes at L90. I was suggesting that you find and train them as they become available, because it's a bit of a PITA at L120 to go back and pick up an L50 warder because of the taming mechanics. You'll find yourself stripping yourself of all gear and chronoing down just so you don't one shot the mob you're trying to tame.
    Breanna and Dude like this.
  8. Dude Well-Known Member

Thanks! It wasn't really clear in any of the write ups.
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. The guides were great when they first came out, but trying to dig up info since then has been hugely problematic. The info I share came from a little personal experience and a lot of it from very good BLs willing to share for which I'm extremely grateful.
    Breanna and Dude like this.
  10. Dude Well-Known Member

I don't have a lot of time for playing the game right now, so level locking and running my warders through Crypt of Agony gives me the chance to still do something worthwhile. It's mind numbing and it will take a while to do in with the time I have available, but at least it's progress.
    Bhayar and Breanna like this.
  11. Dude Well-Known Member

I am really enjoying my Beastlord. I love the fact that, up to level 80, there is essentially a class specific signature quest. It feels like Shalih Marr is mentoring me as I progress. Whichever Dev put this all together did a really good job.

Things I've noticed:
    1. Defensive warders seem to level more quickly than offensive warders.
    2. Crypt of Agony or any of the agnostic dungeons is definitely the way to go for leveling the warders. As mentioned before, get into spiritual stance, set the warder to assist and defend you, get into proximity of a mob, let it hit you, press Frigid Fortification, and let the warder do its job. After the warder does some damage you can speed up the process by also fighting, but I tend to just do the above and then move toward the next mob so that I'm chaining the combat as much as possible.
    3. I level locked twice as I leveled up my warders. I locked at 31 for the 14 basic warders and at 72 for the 4 exotic warders. This made it so I didn't level out of the agnostic dungeons. It was truly mind numbing, but I can see how it will totally be worth the effort. Well, mostly worth the effort. Getting all of them to level six was also the completionist in me.
    Things I wonder:
    1. Once I have the four exotic warders do I need to keep the AA that allows me to tame them? I don't know where I'd put the points, but it seems like something to look at.
    2. Once I get to the point of having ascensions, are there any that seem to help the BL specifically? Otherwise, I guess it's Etherealist again.
    3. Does anyone have good recommendations for AA set ups for maximizing DPS?
    4. I understand that the BL is primarily for DPS, but I have heard that we also can play a power feed role. What is the set up for that?
    5. Any other good utility set ups?
    6. Why did I not try the BL sooner?
    Breanna likes this.