Returning player for the new TLE server questions

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Frid, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Frid Member

Hello fellow Norrathians. I had the pleasure to play the original TLE back in 2015. I only lasted two expansions, though, but I have a blast. I basically want to ask if they addressed any of the problems it had with the second TLE.

1. Classes were broken, Eg summoners being OP while wizards being useless. I want to play a wizard this time, is it going to be a viable option? What about a SK? I played a SK last time and it was amazing, a bit OP if you ask me.
    2. Did they address the gearing problems? Raiding gear being useless and so on.

Can't wait to see you lots when the server comes live.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

They've reitemized several times along the way for Fallen Gate, but I don't know what that means for the new TLE server. It really will depend on how much mechanics and class-balancing changes they make for the new server. If there's a lot, I suspect we'll see some after the fact reitemization after each expansion drops.
  3. Frid Member

The major problem that I found when playing Stormhold, apart from the classes being broken, was that it was not worth running raids or certain group dungeons as the itemisation didn't make sense. Did they revamp the gear, not only the prismatics and things like that? I mean, is it going to be better than the first TLE? I will play it anyway but I'd like to know...

Thanks!

PS: I played all the way up to KoS.

Example. During SH launch, it wasn't worth running spirit of the lost raid, or King Zalak, or even VOX, as the items were shite. All I did was running Icy dig and then the signature raids thing. Of course I got my prismatic, it was cool that it got revamped.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I haven't raided over on FG, but if you look through the TLE forum and search for "itemization" you can get the sense of what has and has not been updated.
  5. Zenji Well-Known Member

They did an itemization pass several times during Fallen Gate, it was better than Stormhold but still was not that spectacular.

With the upcoming TLE server Kaladim, Vanilla will be starting with very reduced stat packages. If beta is the example of things to come, there will be no secondary stats until later expansions, and no focus effects until Sentinels Fate.
  6. Malachy Well-Known Member

No one knows anything about the new TLE server other than what has been officially released. Everything else is guesswork from people that played on SH, FG and Nagafen beta (which is completely unique to itself).

I'd keep my eye on the official announcement thread and pop into discord to see what devs say there.

My guesswork is that pet dps will be addressed if it's out of whack, so a wizard should be just fine. In Stormhold it was OP, in Fallen Gate it was overnerfed, in Nagafen's very short beta it was OP. The thing about SKs and necros is that they are popular classes regardless of how they compare in traditional roles. I highly doubt SK will be the best taunting meatshield or necro will be the best dps, but I do bet they'll be the most popular tank and mage, regardless.

Based on what they have released, it is suggestive that gear will be different than live or other TLE servers. So, although FG reitemization was much better than SH, if they're starting over again, all bets are off. And with 4 months per expansion, I don't see Kaladim drawing fanatical raiders farming raid gear for BIL items. Raids aren't even interesting until RoK, which will be released over a year from now.

TBH, I'm concerned for it's population with FG still around and competing with Nagafen.
  7. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

Summoners OP? Um hello, did you see my pet? If anything was broken at FG launch it was illusionist pets. But no to everything else.
  8. Frid Member

I am clearly talking about stormhold back in 2015. Summoners were extremely OP when the first TLE came out and wizards were just not viable, that's what I was asking.

Everyone else thanks for the information, it looks like the itemisation will be slightly better than the one we had in Stormhold. I can't wait!
  9. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

Well I fail at reading comprehension apparently. Apologies. For FG, I wouldn't say summoners were OP, certainly not in the first couple expacs, but I remember my illy being pretty ridiculous until they nerfed my pet. Itemization was a mixed bag...I'm really skeptical that they will get it right this time, but as always cautiously optimistic. The idea of getting back to basics is quite appealing to me personally, but I can see where people come from when they say that it will be "boring":
  10. Frid Member

No worries Pal. Misunderstandings happen. Especially with English being my second language. Anyway, I remember when I played Stormhold back in 2015, I remember some instances were useless to run and all raid content apart from the prismatics was worthless.

I was just hoping that at least that got fixed, otherwise what's the point of a progression server, you know what I mean? I am more of a 6-man dungeons guy so when the time comes I want the loot from Nektropos Castle 2, Poets palace or Halls of fate to be relevant. I don't need every solo quest item to be revamped but you know, at least the most relevant dungeons and instances.

From what I read things have got better since Stormhold times, so I'm happy. I will quit the game after KoS anyway, as I didn't like the game from EoF.

Have a nice day!
  11. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

Yeah on FG it was all Icy Keep or whatever it was called. That was basically what you ran over and over once you hit 50. Nek2 was...bleh, I think I ran it once or twice but remember being pretty unimpressed with the loot. Raid gear was an improvement over heroic stuff, but it wasn't really night and day, pretty marginal upgrades tbh. Familiars made all the difference really, especially with the procs - and that was mostly RNG, so you ended up spending a ton of money to get the one you wanted. I am so glad they will not be on the new TLE. I am hoping for the new one, we have a decent feeling of progression, especially if we are going to be spending 16 weeks at each expac. If I'm going to spend hours every week doing spirits of the lost again, I at least want to feel like it was worth it.

Also, stick with it until RoK at least - that's what I plan on doing. I quit after DoF on FG, I kind of wish I'd stuck around a bit longer, but you know, real life and all that. But RoK is a pretty solid expansion. TSO and SF are pretty good too - but I only did those when they were current way back in the day.
  12. Frid Member

RoK is what made me quit live EQ2 in the first place, I tried to get back into the game with the following two expacs but it wasn't the same for me anymore. KoS is by far my favourite expansion. It was tiny, but the Claymore, the raids and all that made me love it. And the dungeons and instances, too.
  13. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

I hear ya. The game definitely took a big turn after KoS. That was a pretty damn nice expansion. I still remember vividly the first time I zoned into Tenebrous Tangle. Vyemm's lab is one of my favorite raid zones too.
  14. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I don't know why. It's pretty certain to kill off Fallen Gate completely.
  15. Zenji Well-Known Member

FG is not getting the same treatment SH did. They are getting DoV on Tuesday. So if the already very small population leaves FG for Kaladim, then it is by choice not because DBG killed it.
  16. Malachy Well-Known Member

FG died in mid TSO. Look at census data and compare 80/200AA to 80+. Night and day. But, yeah, I imagine if FG loses 20 very active players to Kaladim it would officially hit the dead as dead can be mark. 20 players is nothing on any other server.
  17. Frid Member

I don't think players are interested in playing the newer crappy expansions, so it's logic that the servers die after certain point. I hope we can have a populated server from the start till at least RoK.
  18. Atan Well-Known Member

Not sure where you're getting this idea. Why would we be so anxious to repeat the same bad content again? Shattered lands and PoF are some of the worst eq2 content, and with the proposed itemization of Kaladim, it sounds like they're doubling down on the bad stuff.

FG will lose more people to PVP than it will to people wanting to play Shattered Lands and Pillars of Flame again for the next 8 months.
  19. Atan Well-Known Member

While I can agree with this statement, its more about where that line is.

For me, it was all fairly good till Siren's Grotto. DoV, PoW / Drunder, all good stuff and they could extend that out to 12 weeks each realistically.
  20. Zenji Well-Known Member

Only if we could get a server that starts in KoS and goes through AoD!
    2 weeks of Classic
    2 weeks of DoF
    10 weeks of KoS
    12 weeks of EoF
    12 weeks of RoK
    14 weeks of TSO
    14 weeks of DoV
    14 weeks of AoD