Returning Player - Dirge?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Vermisran, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Vermisran New Member

Hey everyone! After several years of playing MMORPGs that didn't touch the brilliance of EQ2, I have decided to return!
    My Question - as classic as it is - what class to play as?
    I'm thinking of probably going dirge, as I am more scout-y than warrior-, mage-, or priest-y, and last I played I was a swashbuckler.
    I'm just wondering - am I going to have trouble solo-ing as a dirge? I figure grouping at low levels isn't as prominent as it used to be, and from what I recall, dirge is very much a support class.
    Anywho, any tips for playing as a dirge? I can hardly remember how this game actually plays, I mostly just remember a great experience!
    Thanks in advance! Any help is appreciated!
  2. Leeroy 16 year vet. Forum lurker. Altaholic.

If you have purchased the AoD "expansion", you will be able to hire and use a mercenary which will be a great help to your baby Dirge. Bards aren't known for their dps at low levels, and a merc will make the process of questing and leveling much easier.

Yes, Dirges are a support class; they don't approach the dps of a pure damage scout such as an Assassin, but are highly sought-after for groups and raids end-game. Playing one to the extent of its abilites will keep you busy! Mine is on an alt account and I don't use him nearly as much as I should. One thing you should keep in mind is to have an autoattack bar (get from eq2interface.com if you don't want to run a full custom UI there are standalones) so you can time your combat arts so you don't delay an autoattack.

Oh and make sure your weapon delays match. If they don't, your autoattack will be thrown off and much less effective.